Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2008, 10:38 AM

7,025 posts, read 11,422,095 times

Advertisements

LOS ANGELES — Latinos will no doubt play a key role in choosing the next president, with more than 10 million expected to vote at the national level — the highest total in U.S. history. That’s enough to make Latinos a key “swing” constituency, with the ability to make the difference in several crucial battle-ground states in the race between Republican nominee John McCain and Barack Obama, his Democratic foe.

Yet neither candidate has spoken clearly on immigration reform, a prime subject in the minds of many Latino voters. The lack of any substantive talk about immigration has been noticed in the community of immigrants from the southern Mexican state of Oaxaca, a significant subset of the Latino population in the United States.

Talk to Oaxacans in Los Angeles — a major population center for the U.S. community — and many will tell you that all the noise and attention that accompanied the giant protests against severe new rules on immigration two years ago have yielded nothing new. The U.S. Congress has buried the issue, many say, leaving more than 12 million undocumented individuals with little hope of gaining a path to citizenship — and fearful of federal crackdowns that have resulted in many sudden deportations in recent months.

Ignacio Cano, a native of Macuiltianguis in Oaxaca who is now a U.S. citizen and eligible to vote in this year’s presidential election, says the immigration issue will make the difference in how he casts his ballot. Cano also indicates that any perceived weakness the Obama campaign showed in the primary elections, when Hillary Clinton ran stronger among Latinos, won’t be a worry in the general election.

“What really attracts me to the campaigns is the subject of immigration and how is it going to be remedied,” Cano says. “I believe that both candidates state that they are going to push for immigration reform, but I believe that, with Obama, we the Latinos will have more access and will be able to push for an immigration reform.”

Oaxacans Worry About Candidates' Interest in Immigration Reform - NAM

What's wrong with these people? The country is falling apart, we have been invaded by millions of illegal alien, abundant breeders, rapists, child molestors, murderers, identity thieves and drug peddalers and yet all they can think about is legalizing those of their criminal raza. Those who hold these views should have their default citizenships revoked and be deported back to Mexico. All the more reason not to vote for their savior, Obama. I wonder how soon they will go back to hating blacks if he doesn't deliver?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2008, 10:43 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,173,365 times
Frankly; who gives a rat's-you-know-what about what illegal immigrants want?

The above rant directed towards Cano and his illegal campesino ilk.

The hell with full amnesty: toss about 80-90% of 'em out them we may discuss a limited variety for the few left-------------if they kept their noses clean.

Old 08-23-2008, 10:51 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,583,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post

The hell with full amnesty: toss about 80-90% of 'em out them we may discuss a limited variety for the few left-------------if they kept their noses clean.
Ditto!

Old 08-23-2008, 10:53 AM

7,025 posts, read 11,422,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post

Hear, Hear!

Old 08-23-2008, 12:11 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,571,118 times
Oaxacans have every RIGHT to feel uneasy about the presidential situation in the US. For eight years now, they've been secure in the knowledge that the American President couldn't even PRONOUNCE them, let alone 'pick on' them....now, that may change..

Old 08-23-2008, 12:13 PM

1,417 posts, read 1,159,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Oaxacans have every RIGHT to feel uneasy about the presidential situation in the US. For eight years now, they've been secure in the knowledge that the American President couldn't even PRONOUNCE them, let alone 'pick on' them....now, that may change..
Some of those people don't even speak Spanish.. let alone English .

Old 08-23-2008, 12:19 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,583,589 times
Quote:

Old 08-23-2008, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Californio View Post
Some of those people don't even speak Spanish.. let alone English .
I was surprised several times during my "water district" duties, when happening upon camps of illegals in the groves, and finding that only one or two guys in camp could speak Spanish. It was a 'learning experience' for me. Quite a number of folks in Southern Mexico don't know Spanish.

Old 08-23-2008, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Yep...."Oaxaca....Goooood folks!...Right there next to Algeria, as I recall"....

Old 08-23-2008, 12:23 PM

1,417 posts, read 1,159,787 times
Quote:
I was surprised several times during my "water district" duties, when happening upon camps of illegals in the groves, and finding that only one or two guys in camp could speak Spanish. It was a 'learning experience' for me. Quite a number of folks in Southern Mexico don't know Spanish.
Yep. There is a very large community of Oaxacans in Madera, CA. The kids first learn Spanish-- and then learn English. Try that on for size
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration