Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2008, 10:26 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,817,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
08-31) 04:00 PDT Minneapolis-St. Paul -- Pay attention, San Francisco and other self-proclaimed "sanctuary cities." The draft of 2008 Republican Platform wants cities that flout federal immigration law to pay a price - pocketing fewer federal dollars - for their sanctuary politics.

"The rule of law means guaranteeing to law enforcement the tools and coordination to deport criminal aliens without delay," the draft explains. And: "It means requiring cooperation among federal, state and local law enforcement and real consequences, including the denial of federal funds, for self-described sanctuary cities, which stand in open defiance of the federal and state statutes that expressly prohibit such sanctuary policies, and which endanger the lives of U.S. citizens." (My italics.)

In simple, direct language, the platform also asserts, "We oppose amnesty. The rule of law suffers if government policies encourage or reward illegal activity."

These are not the positions of John McCain. McCain supports a path to citizenship for otherwise law-abiding illegal aliens. He won't call it amnesty, but the GOP platform does.

Source: Ohio Jobs & Justice Political Action Committee (links.sfgate.com/ZERU)
http://www.sfgate.com:80/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/08/31/EDUL12LM70.DTL

If the GOP can get McLame to commit to their platform, I will be happy to cast my vote for him. I just wish he'd chosen Romney. I would have been a lot more comfortable voting republican.
The party will be able to control McCain a lot better than a Dem party will control obama. Give obama the WH and we will have amnesty on day 2. I will take McCain with the party listening to the constituents anyday!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2008, 10:41 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,224,166 times
Quote:
I have 2 problems with Palin.

1. The reason McCain chose her - calculated risk in his desperate attempt to rake in the 18M former Shrillary supporters;

2. McCain is not an intelligent man. I respect him for his service to our country but lets face it, he is no rocket scientist. Additionally, he is older than dirt and not in the best of health. It is not a stretch to believe that it is a very real possibility that he might die during his first term.

Palin is young, inexperienced and from what I have read she has only held two political positions. One as the mayor of a small town (pop. less than 10K) and she left them 22 MILLION in debt.

Then there is her sum total of 1.5 years as a governor. IMHO, in the event of McCain's demise her lack of experience and knowledge would be the equivalent of Bush lite in a woman's body.
Personally I bet she has a nice set of guns. As in Rifles or pistols. Sheesh some people automaticlly assume the worst. LOL
Actually I am more worried about career politicians. They lost their souls a long time ago along with their allegence to this country. They never met a bribe, payoff or sell out they couldnt accept.palin atleast comes from blue collar. She might still remember our pain. Is she Ideal? NO. But her experience isn't far off from Oblama's. And she likes guns.
Back to topic.
I have been hopng no praying that one party or the other would hear the people and start moving against these sanctuary cities and states. Its about time. Now if they will only follow through with it.

Old 08-31-2008, 11:17 PM

7,025 posts, read 11,411,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Personally I bet she has a nice set of guns. As in Rifles or pistols. Sheesh some people automaticlly assume the worst. LOL
Actually I am more worried about career politicians. They lost their souls a long time ago along with their allegence to this country. They never met a bribe, payoff or sell out they couldnt accept.palin atleast comes from blue collar. She might still remember our pain. Is she Ideal? NO. But her experience isn't far off from Oblama's. And she likes guns.
Back to topic.
I have been hopng no praying that one party or the other would hear the people and start moving against these sanctuary cities and states. Its about time. Now if they will only follow through with it.
Comments about guns duly noted. That being said, you make excellent points in terms of the possibility that she is not your typical career politician.

In the next month I will have narrowed down all of my possibilities. Obama never has nor ever will make my short list. To date I am still leaning towards writing in my candidate of choice.

Old 08-31-2008, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Comments about guns duly noted. That being said, you make excellent points in terms of the possibility that she is not your typical career politician.

In the next month I will have narrowed down all of my possibilities. Obama never has nor ever will make my short list. To date I am still leaning towards writing in my candidate of choice.
Well said madam pitbull. LOL
Palin is an unknown untested. But then again wasn't Bill Clinton? His stae was in the red before during and after his tenure. Yet the nation I hate to admit prospered under him. I like Palin for being a strong woman and one of principles. Hopefully she will take up the fight against illegals.

Old 09-01-2008, 12:06 AM

7,025 posts, read 11,411,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Well said madam pitbull. LOL
Palin is an unknown untested. But then again wasn't Bill Clinton? His stae was in the red before during and after his tenure. Yet the nation I hate to admit prospered under him. I like Palin for being a strong woman and one of principles. Hopefully she will take up the fight against illegals.
I voted for Clinton twice. Personal transgressions aside, he was one of the best presidents in recent memory.

Growl . .. . .

Old 09-01-2008, 12:42 AM

10,503 posts, read 15,567,747 times
Quote:

And we all weep in gratitude....do you really think any of us care who you're voting for? The fact that you're even voting is in itself monumentous. Do you know how the electoral vote works? Do you even know what it means to vote? I'm thinking not, based of course entirely on your posts. See, here is where it's handy to have some intelligence & foresight in your past posts, because THEN maybe we could include you in the voting public. But nay, you've proven post upon post to be a Moderator cut: personal attack....oh, I'm sorry, is this troll-like posting? Did this upset you in any way? I again say, do I or any of us give a crap?

Last edited by Synopsis; 09-01-2008 at 07:41 AM..

Old 09-01-2008, 01:21 AM

638 posts, read 1,848,944 times
Quote:
These are not the positions of John McCain. McCain supports a path to citizenship for otherwise law-abiding illegal aliens. He won't call it amnesty, but the GOP platform does.

Minute 4
"On immigration, John McCain was trying to solve a problem which, incidentally, hasn't improved much. He listened and learned and decided the facts were on our side. He doesn't have a secret plan to enact blanket amnesty as president. And, if he did, he knows I'd kill it. "
-- Senator Tom Coburn introducing John McCain (February 2008) :
Coburn introduces McCain - BatesLine

.: United States Senator Tom Coburn :: Welcome :.
Tom Coburn - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-01-2008, 01:40 AM

638 posts, read 1,848,944 times
In July, I asked McCain
And : "You secure borders and you have a temporary worker program that works, you address the issue of the 12 million people who are here illegally, and you don't have to worry about that."
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...EDUL12LM70.DTL

There's that number again, hmm . . 12 signs of the Zodiac, 12 Apostles, 12 days of Christmas, 12 million illegal aliens, yeesh! How could I be so dense? I get it now.

Old 09-01-2008, 09:02 AM

4,803 posts, read 8,750,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
And we all weep in gratitude....do you really think any of us care who you're voting for? The fact that you're even voting is in itself monumentous. Do you know how the electoral vote works? Do you even know what it means to vote? I'm thinking not, based of course entirely on your posts. See, here is where it's handy to have some intelligence & foresight in your past posts, because THEN maybe we could include you in the voting public. But nay, you've proven post upon post to be a Moderator cut: personal attack....oh, I'm sorry, is this troll-like posting? Did this upset you in any way? I again say, do I or any of us give a crap?
Geez, what is your problem?

Are you ever going to participate in a debate or are you simply here to create mayhem?

I'm thinking the latter rather than the former....

Old 09-01-2008, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
Karfar are you intensionally trying to argue with anything and everything JDubsmom says? Isn't that just a bit you know pathetic? There was nothing in her post hostile or that could be called a personal attack. Why do you insist on lowering yourself to personal attacks needlessly? Ok we all get it for some reason you don't like Jdubsmom. No offense meant but who cares? Many here actually appreciate Jdubs insight and opinions. I myself don't always agree but not agreeing does not mean its time to be disrespectful. You tend to be disrespectful for no apparent reason. What does this say about you? It says that you can be a small and petty person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration