Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 12:59 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,665,367 times

Advertisements

California Immigrants dont erode cohesion!!!!

they seek to blend in...

U.S. census survey finds more of California's immigrants are joining the mainstream - Los Angeles Times

"But bucking perceptions that high levels of immigration are jeopardizing national cohesion, the data showed that today's immigrants, like those before them, are embracing an American identity. In Los Angeles County, for instance, the proportion of native Spanish speakers fluent in English increased to 51.4% in 2007 from 44.6% in 2000. The share of naturalized citizens among the foreign-born grew to 43.3% from 38% over that time."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2008, 01:12 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,562,484 times
Quote:
Steven Camarota of the Center for Immigration Studies, a conservative think tank based in Washington, D.C., said that declining numbers of illegal immigrants could be another reason to explain the higher levels of English fluency and citizenship. His center estimates that 1 million illegal immigrants, or nearly 10% of the total, left the country between August 2007 and May 2008 amid a declining economy and heightened enforcement against illegal immigration.

Because illegal immigrants have lower rates of education and income than legal ones, he said, their departure may have helped boost the proportion of Americanized immigrants.
I think this is perhaps a better explanation for this phenomenon. Legal immigrants tend to have a higher rate of assimilation than illegals. As the economy continues to tank, there will be even less illegals in this country.

Old 09-23-2008, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
I think this is perhaps a better explanation for this phenomenon. Legal immigrants tend to have a higher rate of assimilation than illegals. As the economy continues to tank, there will be even less illegals in this country.
please show me where you get this information that legals have a higher rate of assimilation. from the info here it seems that being in the US longer would make assimilation easier. not illegal or legal status.

either way i think this article and the study it cites makes a clear argument in the assimilation process of immigrants. if you want to deny that go ahead. but i think all those people we know, who have moved here and assimilated, would be offended by your assumption that this is attributed to less illegals and not their own determination and will to improve their lot on life. you cant give them that can you?

Old 09-23-2008, 03:38 PM

164 posts, read 260,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
please show me where you get this information that legals have a higher rate of assimilation. from the info here it seems that being in the US longer would make assimilation easier. not illegal or legal status.

either way i think this article and the study it cites makes a clear argument in the assimilation process of immigrants. if you want to deny that go ahead. but i think all those people we know, who have moved here and assimilated, would be offended by your assumption that this is attributed to less illegals and not their own determination and will to improve their lot on life. you cant give them that can you?

Your post is brilliant. America ,the world needs more like you .

Old 09-23-2008, 03:39 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,134,028 times
And I repeat to the immigrants/aliens:

If you are here legally: I welcome you.

If you are here illegally get out and STAY OUT!

Old 09-23-2008, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
And I repeat to the immigrants/aliens:

If you are here legally: I welcome you.

If you are here illegally get out and STAY OUT!
yes yes, we know how you feel, but what does that have to do with this conversation?

Old 09-23-2008, 03:56 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,134,028 times
Quote:
yes yes, we know how you feel, but what does that have to do with this conversation?
Simple: the mass media seems to be unable to differentiate between legal and illegal when 'immigrants' are involved hence my not giving the LA Times, etc. the benefit of the doubt.

Old 09-23-2008, 04:13 PM

3,091 posts, read 3,967,215 times
Well, the news here in Florida just announced that illegal immigration was down by 85% because no one is giving them jobs. And ICE in Miami made 2000 arrests over a four month period of time. AZ and Guy said it a long time ago, as well as others, if you don't give them jobs, they will not come here.

Old 09-23-2008, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Simple: the mass media seems to be unable to differentiate between legal and illegal when 'immigrants' are involved hence my not giving the LA Times, etc. the benefit of the doubt.
so you dont read reputable sources like the LA times? how do you stay informed?

and this is about immigrants. is this board not about immigration? im sure most of you just want to harp on ILLEGAL immigration, but this board is bout all kinds of immigration. thats what this article is discussin. assimilation amongst immigrants.

you could still add something of substance to the convo you know.

Old 09-23-2008, 05:48 PM

50,291 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
California Immigrants dont erode cohesion!!!!

they seek to blend in...

U.S. census survey finds more of California's immigrants are joining the mainstream - Los Angeles Times

"But bucking perceptions that high levels of immigration are jeopardizing national cohesion, the data showed that today's immigrants, like those before them, are embracing an American identity. In Los Angeles County, for instance, the proportion of native Spanish speakers fluent in English increased to 51.4% in 2007 from 44.6% in 2000. The share of naturalized citizens among the foreign-born grew to 43.3% from 38% over that time."
From YOUR article

Steven Camarota of the Center for Immigration Studies, a conservative think tank based in Washington, D.C., said that declining numbers of illegal immigrants could be another reason to explain the higher levels of English fluency and citizenship. His center estimates that 1 million illegal immigrants, or nearly 10% of the total, left the country between August 2007 and May 2008 amid a declining economy and heightened enforcement against illegal immigration.

Because illegal immigrants have lower rates of education and income than legal ones, he said, their departure may have helped boost the proportion of Americanized immigrants.

May have? A blind person could cover that line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration