Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 07:54 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,138,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous Political Junky View Post
All of these mistakes from a person who says they know so much about the Hispanic ethnicity. LOLOLOLOL Proof he knows very little, if anything and yet, had the nerve to tell me that he didn't think I was Latino.
Apparently; certain individuals think that a person who does not kiss the feet of MEChA and friends is by default not Hispanic/Latino.

Old 12-27-2008, 08:38 PM

4,803 posts, read 8,750,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mori-vivi View Post
Slight correction ; Wyoming ancestry : Hispanic- 12.5%
French- 3.5%

Colorado: Hispanic- 19.7%
French- 2.5%

Source: City data.com
Slight correction -

I didn't say a word about the ancestry of anyone presently living in Wyoming. The post I replied to referred to culture--not ancestry. I merely remarked upon the continued INFLUENCE of the French culture upon parts of Wyoming and Colorado.

If you don't believe that the French influence in Wyoming was significant, then you know very little about Wyoming (or Colorado for that matter) history. One of my minors is in Wyoming History. It is most helpful in the field of archaeology to be aware of the history of the area in which you are working.

The Rendevous, the Wyoming fur trade, John Baptiste Gervais, one of the original organizers of the Rocky Mountain Fur Company, Pierre Laclede, Pierre Chouteau, Jacques LaRamie, whose name is perpetuated by three Laramie Rivers as well as Fort Laramie, the Laramie Plains, Laramie Peak, Laramie City, and Laramie County, many place names in Wyoming (as well as Colorado--such as the Cache la Poudre River) show a marked French influence.

In the words of the University of Wyoming's esteemed professor of Wyoming History, Phillip Roberts:

"The French may have sold the land 200 years ago, but its influence continues today in Wyoming. If it's not an Indian word, it's oftentimes a French word," Roberts said of landmarks.

According to the book "Wyoming Place Names" by Mae Urbanek, numerous geographic names have French origins.

--The French used the name "Les Trois Tetons," meaning "The Three Teats," for the mountain range near Jackson.

--The North Platte River got its name from the French word "platte," which means "broad and shallow."

--The Belle Fourche River was named prior to the 1870s for "beautiful fork."

--LaRamie, or LaRamee, was killed by Arapahoes sometime between 1818 and 1820 in the region where his name has become prevalent -- Laramie.

--Even the term "prairie" is a French word meaning meadow. It was used because the French did not have another word to describe the Wyoming landscape.

Just a small taste of the French INFLUENCE of which I spoke. Reading my posts for actual comprehension of what I've written, rather than just looking to prove me wrong, would serve you better.

Old 12-27-2008, 10:59 PM

197 posts, read 266,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
Slight correction -

I didn't say a word about the ancestry of anyone presently living in Wyoming. The post I replied to referred to culture--not ancestry. I merely remarked upon the continued INFLUENCE of the French culture upon parts of Wyoming and Colorado.

If you don't believe that the French influence in Wyoming was significant, then you know very little about Wyoming (or Colorado for that matter) history. One of my minors is in Wyoming History. It is most helpful in the field of archaeology to be aware of the history of the area in which you are working.

The Rendevous, the Wyoming fur trade, John Baptiste Gervais, one of the original organizers of the Rocky Mountain Fur Company, Pierre Laclede, Pierre Chouteau, Jacques LaRamie, whose name is perpetuated by three Laramie Rivers as well as Fort Laramie, the Laramie Plains, Laramie Peak, Laramie City, and Laramie County, many place names in Wyoming (as well as Colorado--such as the Cache la Poudre River) show a marked French influence.

In the words of the University of Wyoming's esteemed professor of Wyoming History, Phillip Roberts:

"The French may have sold the land 200 years ago, but its influence continues today in Wyoming. If it's not an Indian word, it's oftentimes a French word," Roberts said of landmarks.

According to the book "Wyoming Place Names" by Mae Urbanek, numerous geographic names have French origins.

--The French used the name "Les Trois Tetons," meaning "The Three Teats," for the mountain range near Jackson.

--The North Platte River got its name from the French word "platte," which means "broad and shallow."

--The Belle Fourche River was named prior to the 1870s for "beautiful fork."

--LaRamie, or LaRamee, was killed by Arapahoes sometime between 1818 and 1820 in the region where his name has become prevalent -- Laramie.

--Even the term "prairie" is a French word meaning meadow. It was used because the French did not have another word to describe the Wyoming landscape.

Just a small taste of the French INFLUENCE of which I spoke. Reading my posts for actual comprehension of what I've written, rather than just looking to prove me wrong, would serve you better.

OK, I've got it, your contribution to this discussion is that apparently in
Wyoming, only a few people with french ancestry reside , however,
some of the heritage from the times of the French/Spanish territory is still evident....., uhmmmm, .........thanks for the enlightment!!.

Old 12-27-2008, 11:30 PM
ECG

42,606 posts, read 2,746,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John From Scranton View Post
Yes! but ENGLISH, is what we here in the US, speak. So they need to become apart of are culture, if they want to live here. Why should I learn Spanish?? So I know what their saying behind my back at the Wal-mart?? I could care less. And I also care less about what happen years ago.. I only care about whats going on RIGHT NOW.. And how the impacted of illegals is killing are country..

Why do you think they are saying something behind your back??? You know that is a sign of "Insecurity"...I have sat in restaurants where people are speaking Yiddish, Portugesse, Italian Ect...And I have never even thought they would be speaking about me...

I know exactly what you are doing in this forum, you are instigating HATE AND ANGER ....I am one that believes everyone in the United States of America that live here LEGALLY should SPEAK ENGLISH, but I do not agree with the way you EXPRESS yourself...Because you have no idea what you are talking about........

AGAIN YOU ARE TAKING TO SEPERATE SUBJECTS AND MAKING IT ONE:

ONE THING IS ILLEGALS AND ANOTHER IS LEARNING THE LANGUAGE!!!

Old 12-27-2008, 11:35 PM

858 posts, read 3,044,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECG1951 View Post

I know exactly what you are doing in this forum, you are instigating HATE AND ANGER ....I am one that believes everyone in the United States of America that live here LEGALLY should SPEAK ENGLISH, but I do not agree with the way you EXPRESS yourself...Because you have no idea what you are talking about........
And coming from a different country yourself... YOU DO??

Old 12-27-2008, 11:36 PM
ECG

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Proof please re: your 75 million number of Latinos here in the USA.

Besides: there is no Hispanic race----------they can range from Nordic White to Black with everything else. Not all Latinos are Spanish speaking Indians.

Besides: quite a few Latinos are quite anti illegal immigration as well.
you got that right....I am definetly against anti Illegal immigration. But, I am against stupidity...and some posters in this forums have no idea what they are talking about....

NOT ALL LATINOS/SPANISH SPEAKERS ARE INDIANS!!!

Old 12-27-2008, 11:42 PM
ECG

Quote:
And coming from a different country yourself... YOU DO??
I do more than you, that is for sure!!!

Old 12-27-2008, 11:46 PM

78 posts, read 203,206 times
Quote:
Yes! but ENGLISH, is what we here in the US, speak. So they need to become apart of are culture, if they want to live here. Why should I learn Spanish?? So I know what their saying behind my back at the Wal-mart?? I could care less. And I also care less about what happen years ago.. I only care about whats going on RIGHT NOW.. And how the impacted of illegals is killing are country..

John.... You mean to tell me that since I know the Spanish language that me, my family, friends, and educators are all illegals?????? You clearly stated that above! You talk about people speaking Spanish and you tie it in as if those are all illegals causing problems! What the hell.

Tienes la letra "P" enfrente de tu cabeza!!!!

If I feel comfortable talking to my legalized grandmother in Spanish while shopping with her at Wal-Mart, then let us be!!!!!!!!!!!!! You have no right bunching all spanish-speakers and calling them illegals and claiming we are the problem and we should not speak a language that are grandparents, parents, or greatgrandparents taught us. If employers are making you learn Spanish, then you have an issue with your employer not the customer. If you don't like hearing Spanish at Wal-Mart, then ignore it or shop somewhere else! FREEDOME OF SPEECH, son!

Old 12-27-2008, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Convert 54 View Post
Yep, back on topic...........I am anti illegal not anti Hispanic.
My wife is Hispanic 5th generation so that makes her family here in the great southwest since 1860's.

I love Hispanic cooking, in moderation now, Hispanic music and especially their skillful use of the accordion.
NOt to keen on their traditional dress style yet I love the stomp dance style .

I think their women are drop dead gorgeous (thats for you honey) and the language is a smooth flowing language.

I am descended of English and German. I love European beer and wine, am fascinated by European history, hate their movies, and think their women not shaving their legs is kinda gross.

Though I love and play the accordion very well I do not like German music with use of the accordion..........polkas just arent my thing.

I love brats and fish and chips, and I think European women are also drop dead gorgeous.......................The french are a little uppity ..............My family have been here for 11 generations..............the math will take you back to the French/Indian wars of 1757 on the English side.

That being said, the illegals need to stop telling me they have rights to American services and benefits. I concede they have basic human rights and do not wish them ill, but do wish them gone back to their country. Mexico is their country not america.

respect me, my flag, my culture and my fellow citizens and I will reciprocate..............get in my face and pick a fight and well,,,,,,,,,,,you get the picture.................

Now there are some illegals hired by white folks who treat them poorly, don't follow the rights and so on.....illegals get paid crap while the "supervisor" gets all the credit. Hmm.....interesting.

Old 12-27-2008, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinCarl View Post
Both.. I hate Mexicans and Illegals and if you are an Illegal Mexican I loathe you and wouldn't spit in your mouth if you were dying of thirst.

Nasty, dirty culture.. Only good thing about that culture is the food.

Being honest... and racist... I will front up to that .... I can't stand Mexicans (not Puerto Ricans or Spaniards.. mexicans)
What the hell?!
So you're saying you don't like me? I think you need to be flagged and reported to the moderator. You don't belong here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration