Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 07:16 PM

1,591 posts, read 3,552,733 times

Advertisements

I think they should also make these jobs available to ex-cons, who are also having a tough time finding work, at least they've served out their sentences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2009, 09:33 PM

4,803 posts, read 8,749,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey cabal View Post
If everyone felt like this—and nobody took the difficult, low paying field work jobs—then Walmart would need fewer employees. That is, after their grocery section closed down.
Then I guess employers would just have to offer prospective employees a living wage.....

GASP!!!! Oh the horror!

Old 10-27-2009, 09:52 PM

411 posts, read 468,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
I agree. Why would anyone want to work long hard hours in the field for less than $10 an hour when Wal-Mart, most grocery stores, and even waiting tables will net you more and many times with benefits, like insurance?

If you want employees, you have to at least offer them a salary they can live on.

We need to face the reality in this country, that the higher paying jobs in manufacturing are dwindling, as our factories have moved to Mexico, china, vietnam etc, which other than the labor jobs it takes a lot of engineering and sdministration jobs, we are left with jobs in the service and hospitality industry which are low payig jobs, we better stop dreaming
of high paying jobs and get to work, otherwise hispanics will continue taking over all these jobs, and put themselves in line for promotions etc. whilr their anglo counterparts just complain about it while their standard
of living keep going down, I just spent a few days in Las Vegas and noticed that the majority of workers at all levels were hispanics, while almost all of the homeless people are anglo, here in Phoenix you can see a similar situation....

Old 10-27-2009, 10:00 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,562,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gottasay View Post
I think they should also make these jobs available to ex-cons, who are also having a tough time finding work, at least they've served out their sentences.
That’s an excellent idea. Discrimination against ex-cons is pretty pervasive. It is essentially an unprotected segment of society. After serving their sentences, many find it virtually impossible to find gainful employment; which is a salient aspect of the high recidivism rate.

Old 10-27-2009, 10:19 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,134,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey cabal View Post
If everyone felt like this—and nobody took the difficult, low paying field work jobs—then Walmart would need fewer employees. That is, after their grocery section closed down.
Oh well; no great loss if Wal-Mart shriveled up a tad.

Old 10-27-2009, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latin King View Post
We need to face the reality in this country, that the higher paying jobs in manufacturing are dwindling, as our factories have moved to Mexico, china, vietnam etc, which other than the labor jobs it takes a lot of engineering and sdministration jobs, we are left with jobs in the service and hospitality industry which are low payig jobs, we better stop dreaming
of high paying jobs and get to work, otherwise hispanics will continue taking over all these jobs, and put themselves in line for promotions etc. whilr their anglo counterparts just complain about it while their standard
of living keep going down, I just spent a few days in Las Vegas and noticed that the majority of workers at all levels were hispanics, while almost all of the homeless people are anglo, here in Phoenix you can see a similar situation....
You are grasping for straws there, pal. I have seen quite a few 'brown' homeless people; whether they are Anglo or Hispanic I do not know.

As for the mostly Hispanic illegal aliens; working or not, we are down about 30-50% of those losers compared two 2 years ago.

I live in the Phx area; Mesa here.

Old 10-27-2009, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gottasay View Post
Better American ex-cons vs. a bunch of illegal alien criminals.

Old 10-27-2009, 10:30 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,392,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
Then I guess employers would just have to offer prospective employees a living wage.....

GASP!!!! Oh the horror!
I know right...it is amazing how once you eliminate the employer's ability to cheat the system against labor that we start to see wages adjust to more reasonable levels.

Old 10-27-2009, 10:41 PM

411 posts, read 468,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
You are grasping for straws there, pal. I have seen quite a few 'brown' homeless people; whether they are Anglo or Hispanic I do not know.

As for the mostly Hispanic illegal aliens; working or not, we are down about 30-50% of those losers compared two 2 years ago.

I live in the Phx area; Mesa here.

You are right times are tough, I'm happy to see that your from the area, Phoenix has been my home for over 20 years I love it here, if you are active in this community, I'm sure I know you. I work with a group
that support hispanics in tough economic conditions, and I tell you, there is a lot of people in need, mostly because of the loss in construction industry, nevertheless we help so they keep their spirits high, and get through these tough times, the community is strong which is one very important trait if you want to make it through, we also help a lot of anglos
that have made us their own family.....

Old 10-27-2009, 11:31 PM

2,381 posts, read 5,045,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by driftwoodpoint View Post
I think it would be a great idea!!! I really never knew anyone in prison but I volunteered at the Erie City Misson for a year several years ago. I have followed one of the guys who is now in prison. I'm part of his support team. He's in for seven years and takes every class they offer and is making headway. Such a HUGE percentage returns to prison and we are sure doing something wrong in there. He waited two years to get a job in prison and they get paid 19 cents an hour!!! You buy everything, and I mean everything you need from the prison store.
I think this would be a great job and maybe teach some skills so that they can get a job when they get out. It would be good exercise and use up some energy. I think they could pay them 3.00 an hour which would be great on both sides. The farmers need a huge break also. I think it would be win~win.
Dont get your hopes up. Many exfelons are repeat offenders.
The highest pay I have seen in prison is 32 cents an hour but you also have to take into account that their meals are paid for and they dont have to pay for shelter.

I dont know what your friend is in prison for but in Cali, a similar work program has been in place for ex-felons and most of them quit after the first week. It is very true that our society descriminates against ex-felons. You wont really see many ex-felons getting janitor jobs because the employer is afraid the ex-felon may steal from the building it cleans or cannot have them in schools as janitors because children are near. However, jobs working in the fields, working the assembly line or oil companies will not descriminate against them. Ex-felons will just not take those jobs. As an inmate told me once, "I rather go to the corner and sell dope for two hours and get me $500 than $10 an hour." In LA, many inmates when peroled are refered out to work at the oil company. One inmate quickly returned to prison within a month. I asked about his job at the oil company and he said he did not like it because it was "slave work". He said he hated it because at the end of the day his body was covered in oil and he was paid $10.00 an hour. He also said that those that did stay with the job, majority were immigrants. I consider working for the oil company much easier work than working in the fields. In the fields, you are in the sun all day long, working past eight hours and bending your back all day long. I doubt many ex-felons will be taking those jobs. It will not be a win-win for anyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration