Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 09:09 AM

50,294 posts, read 47,056,299 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by antialphabet View Post
For the most part, I think the show was made just to get an audience, along with ratings and $$ by using a hot button issue.

But I think it can be seen as an experiment with social issues.

Also, I don't want to argue about this, but I'm just letting you know that the whole "not speaking English=illegal alien" thing isn't true.
Lots of people working here legally that can't speak English very good at all.
There's even legalized citizens that don't speak English. People that were invited here by the government to work, gained citizenship, and never had the need or pressure to learn English. They were just working in the fields with other Mexicans. Why'd they need to learn English? Well, that was the attitude back then, anyway.

Also, if you look at people who aren't Hispanic, there are plenty of Asian and European immigrants that are here legally and can't speak English, and prefer to speak in their mother tongue.
Like say, Chinese and Russians.
There are not lots, there are few that are allowed status without speaking English and compared to the Millions of Spanish only speakers you can't even see it on a graph in comparison it is so small.

You are trying to compare asylum to an illegal invasion and it's not going to float.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2009, 09:18 AM

8,978 posts, read 16,558,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
The problem is that way too many American Latinos do speak in that cholo accent which reflects badly on all folks who look Mestizo-----whether Hispanic or not.

Yet: I have known many an American of generic Asian lineage who came here @ age 12 or younger and they almost without fail, speak standard English factoring in regional differences.

Why are the above Asians able to assimilate yet so damn many US born/raised Chicanos sound like they just came from Mexico?

It is as if the latter's culture mandates having a big red bullseye on them as as group with the caption kick me.
I'm not touching THIS one....but Richard Rodriguez did. San Franciso-born writer, son of Mexican immigrants, who coined the term "The Browning of America"..
Some years ago Rodriguez wrote of the opening of a new state-of-the-art library in the LA area...described the 'bells and whistles', all the latest computer terminals, etc .

Then, in typical Rodriguez fashion, he went on to say that on the day he visited, "about 100 kids" were using the facility...and because of the neighborhood, just about HALF the kids were Asian, the other half Hispanic...all of them "enjoying the new facility".

He then went on to say that almost ALL the Asians were inside using the computers for school projects (many with their mothers), while most of the Hispanics were outside skateboarding on the steps and 'kicking back'.

Rodriguez then admitted it disturbed him to write this, and that he wondered whether this was a foretaste of what all thes "100 kids" would be doing, 20 years in the future.

Rodriguez's sentiments sound a bit like yours. I'm sure he's proud of his roots, proud of his culture, and loves his parents....but he's apparently got 'something to say', and he said it...and I guess his readers can draw their own conclusions. Rodriguez is just 'passing the word'....

Last edited by macmeal; 01-10-2009 at 09:36 AM..

Old 01-10-2009, 09:20 AM

608 posts, read 1,005,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antialphabet View Post
My replies are in red.
Thanks for replying without being rude, or with the attitude that you are right and I am wrong.
I hope I managed to do the same. We're just both speaking from different perspectives.

Finally some pro/con dialog (as is the purpose of a forum) worth reading.

Old 01-10-2009, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
I'm not touching THIS one....but Richard Rodriguez did. San Franciso-born writer, son of Mexican immigrants, who coined the term "The Browning of America"..
Some years ago Rodriguez wrote of the opening of a new state-of-the-art library in the LA area...described the 'bells and whistles', all the latest computer terminals, etc .

Then, in typical Roidriguez fashion, we went on to say that on the day he visited, "about 100 kids" were using the facility...and because of the neighborhood, just about HALF the kids were Asian, the other half Hispanic...all of them "enjoying the new facility".

He then went on to say that almost ALL the Asians were inside using the computers (many with their mothers), while most of the Hispanics were outside skateboarding on the steps and 'kicking back'.

Rodriguez then admitted it disturbed him to write this, and that he wondered if this was a foretaste of what allo thes "100 kids" would be doing, 20 years in the future.

Rodriguez's sentiments sound a bit like yours. I'm sure he's proud of his roots and loves his parents....but he's apparently got 'something to say', and he said it...and I guess his readers can draw their own conclusions. Rodriguez is just 'passing the word'....
Well, when one group speaks English at home and helps the kids with home work, and the other group doesn't I think we can deduce who will be our next generation of Surgeons and who will be replacing sprinker heads on my lawn.

Old 01-10-2009, 09:23 AM

3,162 posts, read 11,437,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Full-Blooded American View Post
Stop writing in that third world drivel. We communicate using English here, the language of the civilized world.
what's up? felt bad for not being able to speak in another language? a language that has a much more developed grammar than the english language mind you.

vamos falar em portugues melhor o que vc acha? hehehe

besides that, what is civilized? I'm not sure what you meant by it.

regards!

Old 01-10-2009, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelling fella View Post
what's up? felt bad for not being able to speak in another language?

vamos falar em portugues melhor o que vc acha? hehehe

The forum rules on the main page state that it is to be in English. It's pretty much that simple.

Old 01-10-2009, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Well, when one group speaks English at home and helps the kids with home work, and the other group doesn't I think we can deduce who will be our next generation of Surgeons and who will be replacing sprinker heads on my lawn.
Mr. Rodriguez, is that you? You sound so GRUMPY this morning !!!....

Old 01-10-2009, 09:30 AM

3,162 posts, read 11,437,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
The forum rules on the main page state that it is to be in English. It's pretty much that simple.
this is true, but it is something completely different to ask to speak in the official language of city data, and calling spanish a third world drivel

anyone who has a deep knowledge of spanish will tell you that it is a very developed language.

Old 01-10-2009, 09:32 AM

608 posts, read 1,005,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post

Then, in typical Roidriguez fashion, we went on to say that on the day he visited, "about 100 kids" were using the facility...and because of the neighborhood, just about HALF the kids were Asian, the other half Hispanic...all of them "enjoying the new facility".

He then went on to say that almost ALL the Asians were inside using the computers for school projects (many with their mothers), while most of the Hispanics were outside skateboarding on the steps and 'kicking back'.

Rodriguez then admitted it disturbed him to write this, and that he wondered whether this was a foretaste of what all thes "100 kids" would be doing, 20 years in the future.

Rodriguez's sentiments sound a bit like yours. I'm sure he's proud of his roots, proud of his culture, and loves his parents....but he's apparently got 'something to say', and he said it...and I guess his readers can draw their own conclusions. Rodriguez is just 'passing the word'....
I take away from this the importance of parent participating and encouraging education. Even if parents do not speak English or have limited education they can still participate and encourage.

Old 01-10-2009, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonCynic View Post
I take away from this the importance of parent participating and encouraging education. Even if parents do not speak English or have limited education they can still participate and encourage.
I get the same message. I see very little in Rodriguez's writings that imply racism, or a dislike of anybody....and nothing at ALL about illegals. It's all about effort and 'focus', and how behavior has consequences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration