Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 12:18 PM

7,025 posts, read 11,411,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
Quite frankly, if it does not affect output, then it really should not be a concern. I mean, I speak French on the phone or with my friends if they don't understand what is going on. When asked, I simply tell them. With my former Hispanic co-workers, they did the same. They would keep me up to speed. So I mean, we are now becoming like Switzerland or South Africa with many languages.
Quite frankly this is America. Not only is it rude, but English is our primary language and just as foreigners love their native tongue we love ours too. Those who don't like it or wish to assimilate and speak our primary language can leave they same way the came. We didn't ask them to come here and we certainly won't hold them hostage.

Quote:
Whatever the case may be, it's rude for those two people to be speaking in a manner that the other people do not understand."
Quote:
Even though Latinos are the fastest-growing traditionally underrepresented group in this country, the prominent language remains English.
This is America. Those who are here illegally, don't love and respect it, obey our laws and respect our citizens can get the hell out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2009, 12:55 PM

3,536 posts, read 5,907,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
Quite frankly this is America. Not only is it rude, but English is our primary language and just as foreigners love their native tongue we love ours too. Those who don't like it or wish to assimilate and speak our primary language can leave they same way the came. We didn't ask them to come here and we certainly won't hold them hostage.

This is America. Those who are here illegally, don't love and respect it, obey our laws and respect our citizens can get the hell out.
Historically in America we always had several different languages. From as far back as Nieuw Amsterdam, Nouvelle Orleans, San Agustine, etc. Even in the 1800s-1900s we have had siginificant number of foreign speakers. Spanish is the language that has been more consistent, for obivious reaons (settled here longer than the Anglo population, and well Latin America is right next door).

As for foreign countries, they learn English at a very young age. It kind of is a shame we don't emphasize a foreign language here. In Europe, you can go around speaking English for the most part.

Old 02-01-2009, 12:58 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,564,938 times
Quote:
Quite frankly, if it does not affect output, then it really should not be a concern. I mean, I speak French on the phone or with my friends if they don't understand what is going on. When asked, I simply tell them. With my former Hispanic co-workers, they did the same. They would keep me up to speed. So I mean, we are now becoming like Switzerland or South Africa with many languages.
IMO, it isn’t an issue of output, as much as an issue of respect. For example; would you consider it appropriate for an employee to whisper in the ear of a coworker in the presence of another employee? It’s rude, because it’s blatant exclusionary behavior. It’s also an indicator of class, or lack thereof.

I have no issue with others speaking whatever language they choose. However, it is a common courtesy not to engage in a discussion in a foreign language while in the company of those unable to understand the dialogue.

Old 02-01-2009, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Historically in America we always had several different languages. From as far back as Nieuw Amsterdam, Nouvelle Orleans, San Agustine, etc. Even in the 1800s-1900s we have had siginificant number of foreign speakers. Spanish is the language that has been more consistent, for obivious reaons (settled here longer than the Anglo population, and well Latin America is right next door).

As for foreign countries, they learn English at a very young age. It kind of is a shame we don't emphasize a foreign language here. In Europe, you can go around speaking English for the most part.
Historically, those who immigrated to this country were required to speak English. Also of historic value, not only were the majority of said immigrants here LEGALLY, they automatically assimilated and were respectful. So much so that they considered it rude to speak any other language except English in public.

Yet those of you here illegally or recently immigrated legally to this country are determined to turn America into a 3rd world multicultural/lingual, unassimiliated abyss. If you are wondering why you don't feel welcomed in America, here's your answer: You are getting what you give.

Respect is a two way street. We give as good as we get.

Last edited by JDubsMom; 02-01-2009 at 01:47 PM..

Old 02-01-2009, 01:47 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,749,757 times
I wonder if I will live long enough to see the American people finally get it. Socialized welfare programs are one thing, to spread them across the globe is quite another. I knew decades ago that we can't feed the world. I miss my California, but can never go back to my former home again as I have been displaced.

Old 02-01-2009, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
I wonder if I will live long enough to see the American people finally get it. Socialized welfare programs are one thing, to spread them across the globe is quite another. I knew decades ago that we can't feed the world. I miss my California, but can never go back to my former home again as I have been displaced.
I think I can safely say that the majority of Americans are wondering where are we, what the hell happened to our country and desperately wanting it back. We have all been displaced by corporate greed and it's determination to outsource everything that made America great.

Globalization without cultural, lingual and lawful cohension has proven to be a dismal failure not only for America but for every other non 3rd world country.

Old 02-01-2009, 02:40 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,172,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerCaliforniaGirl View Post
For the posters who said birthright citizenship needs to be abolished...you are exactly right. Without citizenship, these freeloaders would not be able to get food, healthcare, education and housing for their children. As long as there are freebies here, they will come.
Unfortunately, both of these parents could be legal under the 1986 Amnesty law. All they have to do is apply. If they did apply, there would be no reason for this thread at all since they would be legal residents.

Old 02-01-2009, 02:46 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,172,833 times
Quote:
Historically, those who immigrated to this country were required to speak English. Also of historic value, not only were the majority of said immigrants here LEGALLY, they automatically assimilated and were respectful. So much so that they considered it rude to speak any other language except English in public.
This isn't true. My grandparents immigrated here legally and never learned English (though this was 100 years ago). We get immigrants here now (Iraq for one) who don't speak English and they are legal immigrants.

People may learn English because it makes life easier but there is no law that says they have to learn English to be a legal immigrant here.

Old 02-01-2009, 02:48 PM

Quote:

Yet those of you here illegally or recently immigrated legally to this country are determined to turn America into a 3rd world multicultural/lingual, unassimiliated abyss. If you are wondering why you don't feel welcomed in America, here's your answer: You are getting what you give.

Respect is a two way street. We give as good as we get.
No they weren't. My great grandmother spoke Yiddish only. My former teacher from New Orleans, her grandmother speaks only French. Pensylvania Dutch (German). Lots of German and Slavic immigrants did not speak English. Really, it doesn't affect me. If somebody whispers into another person's ear, and if the outcome doesn't affect me...then why bother?

Old 02-01-2009, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
IMO, it isn’t an issue of output, as much as an issue of respect. For example; would you consider it appropriate for an employee to whisper in the ear of a coworker in the presence of another employee? It’s rude, because it’s blatant exclusionary behavior. It’s also an indicator of class, or lack thereof.

I have no issue with others speaking whatever language they choose. However, it is a common courtesy not to engage in a discussion in a foreign language while in the company of those unable to understand the dialogue.
I speak French with my mother in public sometimes. People simply ask what language, I tell them. If they ask what I'm saying I politely give them the gist. Other times, it might be a personal matter that must be discussed immediately. So it depends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration