Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2009, 11:42 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,564,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Libman View Post
Adult-level English reading skills are an assumed prerequisite for most of my posts.

This literary method is called a figurative analogy (http://usingyourspeechpower.com/figurative_analogies.shtml - broken link), and it is commonly used to briefly convey an idea by referencing a comparable idea that is more commonly understood.

The crack or heroin in this case is analogous to government: it is bad for you, but if just stop using it suddenly (aka "cold turkey") you will have withdrawal symptoms because your body is chemically dependent on that poison. It helps to ease off it gradually, while perhaps replacing it with a less harmful poison to help your body adjust. The same applies to border enforcement, for the reasons I've already summarized above. There are no good short-term solutions, but the long-term solution is liberty, including wide-open borders and no restrictions on migration of capital and labor.
So now you’re resorting to insults? No, adult-level reading comprehension is not required for your posts; delusional thinking is.

If you were attempting to use an analogy, you failed miserably. Put down the textbook and open your mind. Some things in life must be experienced.

Your reference to Wiki speaks volumes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2009, 12:21 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,224,166 times
Quote:
Adult-level English reading skills are an assumed prerequisite for most of my posts.

This literary method is called a figurative analogy (http://usingyourspeechpower.com/figurative_analogies.shtml - broken link), and it is commonly used to briefly convey an idea by referencing a comparable idea that is more commonly understood.

The crack or heroin in this case is analogous to government: it is bad for you, but if just stop using it suddenly (aka "cold turkey") you will have withdrawal symptoms because your body is chemically dependent on that poison. It helps to ease off it gradually, while perhaps replacing it with a less harmful poison to help your body adjust. The same applies to border enforcement, for the reasons I've already summarized above. There are no good short-term solutions, but the long-term solution is liberty, including wide-open borders and no restrictions on migration of capital and labor.
Actually what your solution sounds like is a massive reward system for those who made the choice to violate our laws. Second an open border policy would only be good for the USA if the neighbor in question was of an equal caliber which mexico is not. We would be flooded with uneducated illiterate nonskilled people who would in short order become a burden upon this nation. No thank you I prefer a system that requires a minimum standard. By minimum I do mean that immigrant unless sponcered can bring something to the country that we are in short supply of. Skills, Cash, and the desire to assimulate.

Old 02-07-2009, 12:28 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,138,196 times
Quote:

Looking at just the economy-----------we are already going through 'cold turkey'.

Open up your eyes: we have millions of unemployed Americans who would be willing to do those jobs that 'no one wants'.

Translation: boot every illegal alien caught out of the USA and seize their assets.

Old 02-07-2009, 12:34 PM

3,712 posts, read 6,478,559 times
Quote:
It depends on the context. An owner of an all-you-can-eat buffet can host a "Sons of Norway" luncheon where only Norwegians are invited - who cares. But if anyone starts initiating aggression, this obviously is a problem, racist or not.

I'm a gradualist, I don't actually believe we should open the borders 100% overnight. Let's set a very high quota, say a couple million per year, and increase that quota gradually, while also reducing the green card and citizenship bureaucracy. What would you say to that?
I say: what's in it for the US? Anytime you enter into a deal, there has to be something in it for you. How specifically will the US benefit from gradually opening it's borders to anyone and everyone. How is unlimited immigration, which seems to be your end goal, going to benefit America? I am not interested in the myriad ways that open borders will benefit the people who come here, how will this benefit the average American? We currently have a population in excess of 300 million, do we need more people? Many of the people who come here now are poorly educated and lacking in any discernible job skills. We already have our very own homegrown pool of unskilled labor, why import tens of millions more? And the concept of allowing in only people with advance degrees results in a 'brain drain' in their home countries. Thailand has a far greater need for Thai physicians than we do. How are Third world countries (which is where the majority of these immigrants will come from) ever supposed to pull themselves up by their bootstraps if all their bright, educated citizens leave?

Quote:
My prediction is - you won't like it, because you are in fact anti-immigration. You believe people born in this country have some sort of a "divine right" and should not compete with other peoples of the world based individual merit.
Why do they have to come here in order for us to compete with them?

Quote:
Legalism is merely something you can hide behind because it sounds good, but in reality it doesn't. Irrational behavior isn't justified just because it's "the law". Real law comes from nature: individual self-ownership. The rest is mere thuggery.
You are not by any chance a Sociology Major, are you?

Last edited by andreabeth; 02-07-2009 at 12:45 PM..

Old 02-07-2009, 03:42 PM

4,803 posts, read 8,750,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
You are not by any chance a Sociology Major, are you?
Pseudo-intellectual comes to mind....

He should sit in on some of my graduate seminars. My professors and colleagues would have his quasi-socio-babble (and wikipedia references) for lunch.

Old 02-07-2009, 04:40 PM

3,712 posts, read 6,478,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post

He should sit in on some of my graduate seminars. My professors and colleagues would have his quasi-socio-babble (and wikipedia references) for lunch.
Yes, you are right. Pseudo-intellectual is a more accurate description.

Old 02-07-2009, 04:43 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,564,938 times
Quote:

Bingo!

Old 02-07-2009, 06:06 PM

1,636 posts, read 3,286,896 times
Quote:
I'm pretty sure that the Sons of Norway and/or B'nai B'rith don't have a motto which states:

Para La Raza--todo.
Fuera de La Raza--nada.

For the Race--everything.
For those outside the Race--nothing.
Does the NCLR use that phrase?

Oh, wasn't it your guys' favorite group MECha that uses it?
Even that extremist group barely uses that phrase, and these days it's mostly used by anti-Hispanic(in this case) or anti-illegal propagandists like you, being taken from something that was written in the turbulent time of the 60s when extremists were pretty common.

MEChA, the irrelevant college based club, uses the motto " La Unión Hace La Fuerza".

Old 02-07-2009, 07:23 PM

709 posts, read 1,498,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
If you were attempting to use an analogy, you failed miserably. Put down the textbook and open your mind. Some things in life must be experienced.
Ahh, you know you're right because you want to be right. No fancy book-learnin' required. Brilliant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Open up your eyes: we have millions of unemployed Americans who would be willing to do those jobs that 'no one wants'.
Then what's the problem? (Except minimum wage of course - awful law that's responsible for much unemployment.)

If America had no need for immigrant labor, then they would have no reason to come here, but there clearly is an economic need. It's good for the employer, it's good for the immigrant, and it's good for all other stakeholders of the company: customers, stockholders, etc. It's only bad for lazy spoiled thugs who've wasted the tremendous (and most often unearned) educational opportunities they've head and now want to use violence to get rid of people who can do their job at a better value!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Actually what your solution sounds like is a massive reward system for those who made the choice to violate our laws.
Q: What's the difference between made-up government laws and toilet paper?

A: Toilet paper is more valuable.

Quote:
We would be flooded with uneducated illiterate nonskilled people who would in short order become a burden upon this nation.
Only while there are jobs for "uneducated illiterate nonskilled" people, which there are. As for burden you could only mean government programs like welfare - those are the problem.

Quote:
No thank you I prefer a system that requires a minimum standard. By minimum I do mean that immigrant unless sponcered can bring something to the country that we are in short supply of. Skills, Cash, and the desire to assimulate.
Yes, I've written about this quite a bit in the past. But the economy should decide what kind of immigrants we need, not thugs with guns.

Old 02-07-2009, 07:27 PM

1,636 posts, read 3,286,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
So now you’re resorting to insults? No, adult-level reading comprehension is not required for your posts; delusional thinking is.

Your reference to Wiki speaks volumes.
Wikipedia is only a bad source for the people who don't know how to check the footnotes, and can't tell whether or not the sources used to make the article are reputable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration