Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 07:57 AM

8,231 posts, read 17,327,308 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Never underestimate American culture------------Tojo and Hitler both made that fatal mistake not so long ago.

We may a quarrelsome bunch of bastards when at peace: but; once threatened---------we tend to 'close ranks' and I pity the fools who enraged us.
OMG, never thought I would, but +1
You are talking here about the American PEOPLE, the everyday citizens who once they get mad, get mad. CEOS, politicians, those aren't real Americans for the most part- they're globalists, and they answer to the international elite.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2009, 08:10 AM

1,806 posts, read 5,710,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saobi View Post
But the foreigners who work in those companies pay taxes exactly like Americans, they are in no way exempt. So that bailout is funded by them too. So this logic breaks down?
I think his point is, a non-citizen, in theory, would not be collecting our unemployment benefits...where-as a U.S. citizen, out of work, adds to the taxpayer burden.

But that may all change very soon...

That aside - what those two said to you was tired.

Old 02-10-2009, 08:18 AM

537 posts, read 292,182 times
Quote:
I am a student, but if i graduate and want to work in America, i must have a company sponsor visa.
and what's wrong with that?

Old 02-10-2009, 08:31 AM

2,732 posts, read 6,770,032 times
Theres plenty of money in the Bill for our friends from SOB though...

Old 02-10-2009, 12:32 PM

5,963 posts, read 12,445,111 times
Quote:
Walking on the street, two middle class looking whites walked by me and said : "Why are you Chinese taking our jobs away? Go home."

I didn't say anything and just ignored them.

Today I found out that an amendment was attached to the Stimulus Bill: "For two years, banks receiving bailout money can only hire foreigners (non citizens or greencard holders) if they have not laid off a us worker 3 months before, and cannot lay off any us worker 3 months after."

Soon, this restriction will be placed on other sectors too.

Sigh, very hard to get a job as a foreigner in the us now, protectoinist and anti-Immigrant policies.
Well quess what? This is America and Americans should receive priority in hiring preferences as long as they are qualified to do the job. Sigh...it is very hard for Americans to find a job!

Old 02-10-2009, 12:48 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,509,213 times
saobi -

I am an American who is also in the tech field and fully understand what you are saying. However, your message may be lost on this crowd.

The questions I would ask of Americans here saying "go home, we take care of ourselves first" are:

1) Do you think we would have come so far in the U.S.A. if we did not allow immigrants to work here?

2) Wouldn't you rather have the best and brightest Foreign workers here working for our system instead of theirs? (This is huge, think about defense scientists who have immigrated here and help boost us instead of our enemies).

I live in Silicon Valley, I can smell Curry and Peanut oil in the air, which so many silly "Americans" complain about with Indian and Chinese foreigners culture. But at least here in the Tech Mecca we know why we need these immigrants, because I look around and Americans work in management, even with a technical degree they last maybe until they are 35 years old then move into a management position.

I think it comes down to culture, Americans are brought up to be in the spotlight, be a leader!
Math, Code, Logic that's for nerds, management is where it is at!

P.S. saobi - I also saw your ignorant comment about Mexicans, please don't take the igorance you see from Americans and forward that on to mexicans. I am of Mexican heritage and that's not cool.

Old 02-10-2009, 01:14 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,573,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r601020 View Post
Sorry, I came from a hi-tech background, and you are spreading lies.

I saw when foreign workers began replacing American workers in hi-tech during Clinton era with visas issued by a Republican Congress under the ruse of "we don't have enough qualified workers". I had read those Congressional visa bills, because they were writing on the wall to create a slave-class of worker in America. It is done. And I've heard these same false arguments in Congress recently. It's not over. Not only were they brought in at lower wages than America workers, but the industries doing this often had no intention of keeping the jobs in America once the foreign workers knew enough to transplant the business overseas. When Bush took office, the floodgates opened.

If we had the same gutting of jobs happen in law and politics in America as we did in other industries, such as hi-tech, it would've stopped overnight. Not only has the wage base of Americans in industries such as hi-tech been slashed, but for every hi-tech job out there, there's 500 unemployed Americans applying for it. We listened to the propagandists sing, "free market" as we watched the ship sink.

"Protectionist", is a propaganda phrase. What are you selling?

Where you hit the nail squarely on the head, is Americans are not pursuing certain fields of education now . . why? Because the incentive for an American to pursue it in this country has been killed. You don't have to be a rocket scientist to know some careers in this country have a sure employment outlook of being insourced or outsourced.

Justify suicide. The only sane voice I've heard above the greed was about six years ago, where someone in our Federal Government realized in the foreseeable future, our national security systems (hardware and software) would be manufactured and maintained by another country.

Justify suicide, and that explains law and policy allowing this gutting of our infrastructure to happen. So I'll say this as politely as possible, take that "protectionist" smear and stick it.
Well I clearly didn’t â€read’ the provision when I posted yesterday.

You are spot on. Abuse is rampant in the H-1B program, as evidenced by the videotaped conference which glaringly illustrated unethical, albeit legal tactics many companies are using to avoid hiring qualified U.S. citizens. It’s an absolute disgrace.

Unfortunately, they will find a way to circumvent this, just as they have managed to feign attempts to hire U.S. citizens in the past. Actually, who will monitor these companies to ensure compliance?

Excellent post!

Old 02-10-2009, 01:22 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,153,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
saobi -

I am an American who is also in the tech field and fully understand what you are saying. However, your message may be lost on this crowd.

The questions I would ask of Americans here saying "go home, we take care of ourselves first" are:

1) Do you think we would have come so far in the U.S.A. if we did not allow immigrants to work here?

2) Wouldn't you rather have the best and brightest Foreign workers here working for our system instead of theirs? (This is huge, think about defense scientists who have immigrated here and help boost us instead of our enemies).

I live in Silicon Valley, I can smell Curry and Peanut oil in the air, which so many silly "Americans" complain about with Indian and Chinese foreigners culture. But at least here in the Tech Mecca we know why we need these immigrants, because I look around and Americans work in management, even with a technical degree they last maybe until they are 35 years old then move into a management position.

I think it comes down to culture, Americans are brought up to be in the spotlight, be a leader!
Math, Code, Logic that's for nerds, management is where it is at!

P.S. saobi - I also saw your ignorant comment about Mexicans, please don't take the igorance you see from Americans and forward that on to mexicans. I am of Mexican heritage and that's not cool.
Mach50: not so sure about the alleged 'need' for foreigners to do the nerd work anymore looking at this recession/depression we are in. Methinks quite a few Americans; ex management, would be quite glad to have said jobs----------even in Silicon Valley.

Old 02-10-2009, 01:28 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,509,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Mach50: not so sure about the alleged 'need' for foreigners to do the nerd work anymore looking at this recession/depression we are in. Methinks quite a few Americans; ex management, would be quite glad to have said jobs----------even in Silicon Valley.
Haven't seen it, come to SLV check it out for yourself. Actually the economy is quite strong here, wonder why that is?

TBH I still don't know a single unemployed American techie. Most just move to Denver, Houston or Atlanta and continue working.

Old 02-10-2009, 04:16 PM

640 posts, read 1,732,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Yes, that has been my observation as well, and I have lived in mostly Hispanic neighborhoods in my life - including one that most likely had more illegal than legal immigrants. If they are so lazy and willing to take handouts, why do I see them waiting for HOURS and HOURS in front of U-Haul, just hoping to get one lousy day of work? I see the same guys there every day, rain or shine, looking desperate and willing to work. I don't have that kind of gumption, and I doubt many other natural-born Americans do either.
Yet many DO get more than their fair share of social services. I read somewhere that half of the welfare population in California is Mexican. I'm not a hard-core Republican but I definitely know that that is a shameful fact. I wish more Latino groups (which is a misnomer because they sure as hell dont speak for ME) would concentrate on teaching more Latinos just common middle class values. My family has done well because we came here to America already middle class, and basically we just did what we ALWAYS did which was NOT get knocked up at 15 or have 4 kids we cant pay for, study hard, work hard, get into good schools and LEARN ENGLISH. I understand that not every one has it like I did, but in a country that give a person a tremendous amount of resources and opportunity, I have little faith in someone who comes here and doesn't grab it, someone who instead chooses to drop out of school or have a ton of children or work at Walmart. Yet that is what I see sooo many other Latino people do. I have little doubt that anyone is saying that they dont work hard...they work like dogs to be honest. But what I'm saying is that many lower class Mexicans are quite myopic and they dont realize they take on jobs that simply dont have status and money....and that is what this country is ENTIRELY about. To be succinct, this country is about who's got money and who's got status, and I see many Latinos not get the memo that the group of gardeners and maids and construction workers and high school drop outs and teenage mothers and welfare queens aren't going to cut it. No one cares about what they have to say. And no one, not even other middle class and upper class Latinos, wants to pay for them. Hell, half my family is already Republican. That says it all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration