Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 11:26 PM

197 posts, read 266,032 times

Advertisements

[quote=JDubsMom;8146281]ATLANTA -- Getting a drivers license in Georgia can be an unpleasant experience, but it's even more difficult for many immigrants.
That's why the Georgia Department of Driver Services now offers tests in a dozen languages.

But the State Legislature is about to change that, requiring all tests to be taken in English.

The sponsor of SB 67 says it's simply a matter of public safety on the highways.

"There're some cases where in other parts of the country people have had wrecks and caused deaths and it was caused because they couldn't read the signs," says State Senator Jack Murphy of Cumming.

English-Only Driver's License Bill Close to Passing - 11Alive.com | WXIA | Atlanta, GA (http://www.11alive.com/rss/rss_story.aspx?storyid=128565 - broken link)

What they can't read the signs? No kidding. But of course we already know that.

This comments denote a lot of ignorance, signs are made based on international designs, you don't need to read the words in order to know what they mean.
English only driver's license will not happen, we are a bilingual nation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2009, 11:34 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,574,696 times
GOOD!

Glad to hear it. I hope this gives illegals hard time here so they LEAVE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good going GEORGIA!!!!

Old 04-02-2009, 12:29 AM

Location: Where laws can be ignored due to political correctness
1,111 posts, read 1,852,721 times
Quote:
"I think it's English," said Sudhendu Nag of Calcutta, India, "They should learn English, it's an English[-speaking] country."
A true American knows that everyone in the United States NEEDS to learn English to know what's going on.

We need more people like Sudhendu Nag to stand up for the laws in this country.

Old 04-02-2009, 12:35 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,440,752 times
I agree, I think its awesome. If you can read English then how are you going to read the road signs? Oh WAIT, I suppose they want the US to put up ALL signs in Spanish and English right?? I wonder what the price tag would be on that??

Learn English or go home !!

Old 04-02-2009, 07:35 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,138,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mori-vivi View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
ATLANTA -- Getting a drivers license in Georgia can be an unpleasant experience, but it's even more difficult for many immigrants.
That's why the Georgia Department of Driver Services now offers tests in a dozen languages.

But the State Legislature is about to change that, requiring all tests to be taken in English.

The sponsor of SB 67 says it's simply a matter of public safety on the highways.

"There're some cases where in other parts of the country people have had wrecks and caused deaths and it was caused because they couldn't read the signs," says State Senator Jack Murphy of Cumming.

English-Only Driver's License Bill Close to Passing - 11Alive.com | WXIA | Atlanta, GA (http://www.11alive.com/rss/rss_story.aspx?storyid=128565 - broken link)

This comments denote a lot of ignorance, signs are made based on international designs, you don't need to read the words in order to know what they mean.
You are grasping at straws..................

Besides: the hostility towards the use of Spanish for official business is growing for obvious reasons.

Remember a police officer can then take a Spanish speaking driver in custody then have his immigration status verified--------------it would be better for all drivers with US licenses to read/write English

Old 04-02-2009, 08:32 AM

8,185 posts, read 12,640,468 times
[quote=Mori-vivi;8150353]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
ATLANTA -- Getting a drivers license in Georgia can be an unpleasant experience, but it's even more difficult for many immigrants.

Ignorance? Perhaps you live in a part of the country that doesn't have electronic signs alerting drivers to unexpected road conditions, hazards and the like.
Funny, I thought everyone had those.

Old 04-02-2009, 10:41 AM

197 posts, read 266,032 times
[quote=ArizonaBear;8154270]
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post

We are dealing with an individual here who believes his/her own BS.
Mr bear and others, you need to understand that spanish culture preceded anglo culture in a large part of what is today US territory, now look around the world and tell me of a spot that was occupied by another
culture and made the native one dissapear, examples; the former soviet republics, south africa, ireland, the former yugoslavia republics, canada,
just to mention a few.

A "de facto" reconquista has ocurred in the United States and Spanish
has become a strong second language, the almost 50 million people of
spanish descent in the US(that are US citizens), and fastest growing ethnic group will ensure that, the fastest growing tv networks in the US
are spanish speaking.

Not to mention the contribution of the probably 25 million undocumented spanish speking people. Sorry Bear, this is latino country for good.LOL

Old 04-02-2009, 11:05 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,224,166 times
[quote=Mori-vivi;8155350]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post

Mr bear and others, you need to understand that spanish culture preceded anglo culture in a large part of what is today US territory, now look around the world and tell me of a spot that was occupied by another
culture and made the native one dissapear, examples; the former soviet republics, south africa, ireland, the former yugoslavia republics, canada,
just to mention a few.

spanish descent in the US(that are US citizens), and fastest growing ethnic group will ensure that, the fastest growing tv networks in the US
are spanish speaking.

Not to mention the contribution of the probably 25 million undocumented spanish speking people. Sorry Bear, this is latino country for good.LOL
The fact that state after state is enacting laws simular to this contradicts your claim. But I further challenge your choice of words. "The contribution of"
Just what do criminals contribute to any society other than lawlessness and anarchy? 25 million criminals are hardly an advertisment for a culture.
Of those 25 million how many are violent criminals. Rapists, murderers, pedophiles etc? How many are simply tax cheats, thieves and frauds? I think if that % could be determined it would be astounding. At any rate 100% of them are in fact criminals to some degree and as such are deserving of very little respect or consideration. I am happy to say that I know of at least a handful that I helped get sent back to nation of origin and am proud of it.
I live in a bi-cultural home. My wife is a legal immigrant. She speaks english and actually gets mad at me for speaking Thai in mixed company. See the difference? I didn't think so.

Old 04-02-2009, 11:13 AM

3,712 posts, read 6,478,559 times
[quote=Mori-vivi;8155350]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post

just to mention a few.

are spanish speaking.

Over time things will become so unpleasant and the taxes required to support 25 miliion unskilled illegals with 6th grade educations so onerous that every American with any brains at all has long since fled the area. What are you amigos going to do the first time the electrical grid goes down? You will be sitting in the dark for the next 3 years. What will happen if one of your hombres drives his Honda into a tree at 2 AM and he needs a neurosurgeon? Or some latina gives birth to a 2lb. 4oz. preemie and there is not a neonatologist to be found?

Last edited by andreabeth; 04-02-2009 at 11:23 AM..

Old 04-02-2009, 11:46 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,138,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mori-vivi View Post

just to mention a few.

are spanish speaking.

Go ahead and believe your childish fantasies---------the party is over for the pro illegal apologists.

Just accept the fact that illegal aliens (most of whom happen to be some species of Hispanic) are returning to Mexico in droves--------and, Mx is screaming over it.

And; unless Mexico succeeds in getting a handle on its drug wars----------do not be surprised that Manifest Destiny will take control of the shattered ruins of what was once Mexico.

Needless to say: I would prefer to see a physically whole, law abiding, socially intact, independent Mexico; that stated--------better it under US control vs. it being a failed society like Somalia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration