Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 03:13 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,701,027 times

Advertisements

I visited Disneyland on May 16th for the first time in 22 years (since I was a child). I have never been so irritated in my life as the day I went there. First off, the tickets cost $94. And when I got into the park, NOBODY spoke english. You would have thought this was Disneyland Mexico! It was utterly unbelievable. The people at the park were sooooo rude (mainly the ones that spoke only spanish)...trying to wedge their 20 kids in front of me and my niece, cutting, one married family man hit my wifes butt, and said "lo siento" and laughed. We got so many dirty and awkward looks from some people as if we were a strange breed in some foreign country.

I just couldn't believe how some of these families, who had 5+ kids, could afford to drop $500 on a trip to Disneyland. This park was, no joke, almost ALL spanish speakers (not just hispanics or other legal citizens whom I dont have a problem with, but people who literally spoke no english). I asked one of the older men (he worked as an information man) about it, and he said that Disney forces him to take classes at the local community college in order to learn spanish to cater to the almost 100% spanish speaking population at Disneyland, and that new employee's are almost required to speak spanish to be in serious contention for a job.

I was wondering if all parks in the Southwest and Texas are like this. I just didn't think these people, who speak no english and work extrememly low paying jobs, could afford to take a day at Disneyland.

Is there anyone else out there who has visited the Disney park recently and knows what I am talking about? It was the most miserable experience and I hope I don't ever return.

Old 05-24-2009, 03:16 PM

7,025 posts, read 11,406,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocexpo View Post
I visited Disneyland on May 16th for the first time in 22 years (since I was a child). I have never been so irritated in my life as the day I went there. First off, the tickets cost $94. And when I got into the park, NOBODY spoke english. You would have thought this was Disneyland Mexico! It was utterly unbelievable. The people at the park were sooooo rude (mainly the ones that spoke only spanish)...trying to wedge their 20 kids in front of me and my niece, cutting, one married family man hit my wifes butt, and said "lo siento" and laughed. We got so many dirty and awkward looks from some people as if we were a strange breed in some foreign country.

I just couldn't believe how some of these families, who had 5+ kids, could afford to drop $500 on a trip to Disneyland. This park was, no joke, almost ALL spanish speakers (not just hispanics or other legal citizens whom I dont have a problem with, but people who literally spoke no english). I asked one of the older men (he worked as an information man) about it, and he said that Disney forces him to take classes at the local community college in order to learn spanish to cater to the almost 100% spanish speaking population at Disneyland, and that new employee's are almost required to speak spanish to be in serious contention for a job.

I was wondering if all parks in the Southwest and Texas are like this. I just didn't think these people, who speak no english and work extrememly low paying jobs, could afford to take a day at Disneyland.

Is there anyone else out there who has visited the Disney park recently and knows what I am talking about? It was the most miserable experience and I hope I don't ever return.
Wow, I would have smacked the crap out that wilder beast for you. And I'm a woman. What a bunch of ignorant morons. They have no shame, dignity or respect for anything or anyone, including themselves.

Old 05-24-2009, 03:20 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,701,628 times
Why do you feel threatened by people speaking in Spanish? Do you think that it should be a requirement for them to speak English before being allowed admittance to Disneyland?

Old 05-24-2009, 03:22 PM

7,025 posts, read 11,406,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Why do you feel threatened by people speaking in Spanish? Do you think that it should be a requirement for them to speak English before being allowed admittance to Disneyland?
Actually, if they had entered LEGALLY, by law they would have to speak and read basic English.

That being said, I wouldn't be surprised if they've been here 5 years and are still only capable of babbling in espanol. It sounds like these illegal alien savages entered illegally and are as ignorant as they were the day they broke into America.

Old 05-24-2009, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
Actually, if they had entered LEGALLY, by law they would have to speak and read basic English.

That being said, I wouldn't be surprised if they've been here 5 years and are still only capable of babbling in espanol. It sounds like these illegal alien savages entered illegally and are as ignorant as they were the day they broke into America.
I think that a lot of them do speak and read basic anglais, but they prefer to use their native tongue when among family and friends. It really doesn't bother me to be around it; I feel it gives me a chance to brush up on my language skills.

Do you think that all brown people are here illegally, or just the ones who don't act white enough?

Old 05-24-2009, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
It was the ENTIRE park. It was not like a few "touristy" people who are from international locations who do not speak english, the entire park was spanish speaking. Almost all the waiters and service people were speaking spanish, almost every sign had spanish/english writing on them (but no other language to accomodate any other world traveler). And on top of it, these people were extremely rude. They looked at us as if we were animals, like deep stares. Their kids were rude and not well mannered (a lot of them). I am sure these people have driven out many tourists (because I did not see very many touristy people or international people there).

And I have plenty of Hispanic friends. But they speak english, speak it all the time, and are respectful. I have never been in the company of such vile, rude people. My niece, who is always respectful and kind, said she would rather not come back.

Old 05-24-2009, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocexpo View Post
It was the ENTIRE park. It was not like a few "touristy" people who are from international locations who do not speak english, the entire park was spanish speaking. Almost all the waiters and service people were speaking spanish, almost every sign had spanish/english writing on them (but no other language to accomodate any other world traveler). And on top of it, these people were extremely rude. They looked at us as if we were animals. This is just not the Disneyland I remember; not the Southern California I remember.
So it would have been okay with you had their been a few touristy, foreign types interspersed with lilly white faces?

Do you think that the way they looked at you could possibly have been a reflection of the look in your own eyes as you looked at them?

How big is Disneyland?

Old 05-24-2009, 03:31 PM

1,653 posts, read 4,296,645 times
I used to live by an executive for Universal Studios. He told me that when he first worked for them, they had an English teacher and non English speaking employees COULD take classes if they WANTED to. They were not forced. He said 100% of the employees took advantage of the classes and learned English.

Now he said that 75% of the employees speak Spanish and will not take the classes. So now they have a rule that if you are a manager or if you want to be promoted, you must learn to speak Spanish. So they have a MANDITORY Spanish class.

He said he gets complaints all the time from people because they say the staff was rude,etc. He said he used to love to work there, now he hates going into work. But like he said, his days will be numbered anyway because one by one the executives are being replaced by Latino's.

I wouldn't go to Disney or Universal Studios. I'm not going to pay over $100 to spend a day in a park that the people are rude and I can't understand anyone.

It is ironic that if you travel to Asia, they speak English. They learn it in school and yet in our own country English will soon be a second language.

Old 05-24-2009, 03:39 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,553,332 times
I had a season pass to Disneyland which just expired last month..(it was a gift, and I can't see paying for another year). In the past year, while I've visited the place probably 6 or 7 times, I've never seen anything like you describe.

I'm quite opposed to illegal immigration, and yes, one does hear LOTS of Spanish spoken here. Some people who may "look" like they speak Spanish really don't very well...(my wife, son, and grandson are three examples). Yet that's balanced by those who may be ASSUMED not to speak it, and DO...(I'm an example)....yet huge numbers of people, almost NONE of whom speak English? I've honestly never seen that at Disneyland. Huge crowds of those who LOOK like they're tourists from other states...and other countries....but no domination by Spanish-speakers...(other than the large percentage who make up the local population).

I'm not in the habit of glossing things over....and I realize you MAY have had such an experience...but I never have..even though, prior to this past year, I hadn't been able to "afford" the place for probably 15 years....

Old 05-24-2009, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennySquirrel View Post
I used to live by an executive for Universal Studios. He told me that when he first worked for them, they had an English teacher and non English speaking employees COULD take classes if they WANTED to. They were not forced. He said 100% of the employees took advantage of the classes and learned English.

Now he said that 75% of the employees speak Spanish and will not take the classes. So now they have a rule that if you are a manager or if you want to be promoted, you must learn to speak Spanish. So they have a MANDITORY Spanish class.

He said he gets complaints all the time from people because they say the staff was rude,etc. He said he used to love to work there, now he hates going into work. But like he said, his days will be numbered anyway because one by one the executives are being replaced by Latino's.

I wouldn't go to Disney or Universal Studios. I'm not going to pay over $100 to spend a day in a park that the people are rude and I can't understand anyone.

It is ironic that if you travel to Asia, they speak English. They learn it in school and yet in our own country English will soon be a second language.
Its unfortunate. I found Disneyland to be such an inviting, happy place as a child. Its just miserable now. I found Universal Studios to be quite nice, lots of tourists still go there from what I have seen (unlike Disneyland which seems to attract only non-english speaking hispanics). I think that was my last trip to Disneyland unless I somehow find myself in Paris, Tokyo or Florida one day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration