Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 06:04 PM

804 posts, read 1,360,203 times

Advertisements

According to new Pew Poll, 63% of poll respondents support legalization of illegal aliens.
Quote:
"In general, opinions about immigration and the impact of immigrants on traditional values also have changed little. And by nearly two-to-one (63% to 34%), most favor a way for illegal immigrants in the United States to gain legal citizenship if they meet certain conditions, including passing background checks and paying fines."
The full report can be found at: http://people-press.org/reports/pdf/517.pdf
The quote is found on page 65.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2009, 06:17 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,702,743 times
Other polls have put the number anywhere from 30% to 60%. I don't think anyone knows. All I know is that I do not know many people that support it (except for some of my Hispanic friends), even my liberal friends don't really support amnesty.

I am thinking this poll is a little off. African Americans STRONGLY oppose amnesty, and are Democrat/liberal. Blue collar workers don't support amnesty because their jobs would be compromised, whites (generally the ones who aren't San Fran types) don't support amnesty because they have seen their antics firsthand at Mayday rallies, etc. Asians definitely oppose it.

I just don't find a large demographic, aside from hispanics, that support amnesty, and I have talked with a lot of people on this. Even liberal California voted to take away all benefits for illegals in a statewide election a few years ago by a HUGE margin.

I really think American's are completely opposite of what this poll says. There is no way 63% of people support giving amnesty to law breakers.

Old 05-25-2009, 06:18 PM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
4,196 posts, read 5,843,743 times
where did they poll people, NY, or san fran? they didn't poll me, so it can't be accurate. I think we should set these criminals adrift and let the ocean deal with them.

Old 05-25-2009, 06:26 PM

50,294 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Immigration reform has failed multiple times in the last few years. Obviously if the "majority" wanted it, it would have passed. It hasn't and by a pretty hefty margin.

It sure won't fly in a recession.

Amnesty = tax increases

This will not happen since it opens doors for poor peasants to even more tax payer funded social services.

Old 05-25-2009, 06:28 PM

807 posts, read 1,302,940 times
People Press' poll seems a bit slanted.. Sounds like an Amnesty Agenda spin.. Sorry, I ain't buyin' it..

Old 05-25-2009, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocexpo View Post
Other polls have put the number anywhere from 30% to 60%. I don't think anyone knows. All I know is that I do not know many people that support it (except for some of my Hispanic friends), even my liberal friends don't really support amnesty.

I am thinking this poll is a little off. African Americans STRONGLY oppose amnesty, and are Democrat/liberal. Blue collar workers don't support amnesty because their jobs would be compromised, whites (generally the ones who aren't San Fran types) don't support amnesty because they have seen their antics firsthand at Mayday rallies, etc. Asians definitely oppose it.

I just don't find a large demographic, aside from hispanics, that support amnesty, and I have talked with a lot of people on this. Even liberal California voted to take away all benefits for illegals in a statewide election a few years ago by a HUGE margin.

I really think American's are completely opposite of what this poll says. There is no way 63% of people support giving amnesty to law breakers.

Judging from the fact that this result was a very small part of a rather large poll, and that it was conducted by the Pew Research Center, I would think that even if the poll is a little off, 63% to 34% is a rather overwhelming difference.

The have a FAQ that addresses your comment:
Quote:
"Why don't your surveys ever reflect the opinions of people I know?

Chances are you don't hang out with a group of friends that represents everyone in America. Your friends, coworkers and family are probably like you in many ways. If you were to have a group of friends that represents all of the country, you would have acquaintances who are black, white, Asian, rich, poor, Muslim, Catholic, from the South, Northeast, etc., or any combination of those attributes. Few of us are lucky to have such a diverse group of friends."
Frequently Asked Questions about Polling and Methodology - Pew Research Center

Old 05-25-2009, 06:31 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,702,743 times
Well, your first thing...PEW is one of the BIGGEST pro-alien group around. They are extremely slanted. They probably polled a huge number of illegals and liberals in this poll (and I am sure many conservatives hung up on them when they called).

They have been preaching a pro-amnesty agenda for a LOOOOOOOOOOOONG time, so its no surprise that they would make a poll that makes it look as if everyone supports amnesty...it would fit their desired agenda.

Old 05-25-2009, 06:32 PM

50,294 posts, read 47,056,299 times
When is the last time anyone took time for a poll? Seriously? Most people don't have time for this nonsense. Give us the facts and we will vote in the booth. Polls mean nothing.

Old 05-25-2009, 07:45 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,461,656 times
This is laughable. I think anyone in their right mind knows that 60% of Americans do not support giving the criminals their reward.

Old 05-25-2009, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
This is laughable. I think anyone in their right mind knows that 60% of Americans do not support giving the criminals their reward.
Then I guess, they don't consider illegal aliens criminals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration