Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 12:10 AM

3,536 posts, read 5,907,996 times

Advertisements

Well she's obviously no longer poor. Supposedly she's bright enough, thinking of going to college. She's been handed nothing but the best that American taxpayers could provide her, if she returns home, why are you insisting she's going to live in a dirt hovel shack? And that she could never attend a fine university in her own country?

How do you know she is obviously no longer poor? We don't know her economic status. I do know it's not wealthy.

Why would she not find it at least as easy studying in her own country as the many American students who have done just that? Just because she's illegal and from Mexico doesn't necessarily make her high school diploma meaningless. If Mexico recognizes the diplomas of foreign students who go there to study, why not a Mexican citizen who has the same diploma?

They don't. Mexico acknowledges those that are close to their system. Just like you can't simply go to school in the UK, unless study abroad, the same is true with Mexico. Oddly, Canada is very similar to the US (the exception being Quebec).

I think it's time to at least get this discussion on honest ground.

Stop the lies that people in Mexico are dying on the streets, dying of starvation because that isn't the case.

Nobody stated that.

Stop the lies that there are no schools, no hospitals, no doctors in Mexico.

Nor this either.

Stop the lies that no matter how responsible someone is, how hard they study and advance themselves, delaying the start of a family until after college, that there is absolutely no hope for them in Mexico. That's no longer the case.

Nor this either. So if we are going to "stop lies" then why bring up things that were never mentioned?

The honest truth is that for cases like the one in this article, there are options if she returns to Mexico. She's not going to die of starvation, she's not going to be turned away from every college -- she's a Mexican citizen after all.

Simply put, no. Again, you fail to see ALL the factors. Major, career plans, recognition of units, family situation, job situation...her life is in the US. That's just the reality of the situation.

It comes down to that she doesn't want to make any effort, she figures the taxpayers here owe her something, she believes that she's to be handed amnesty and citizenship on a silver platter and to hell with the idiot chumps who do it the legal way.

Again, why don't you move your family and find a job in North Dakota? You can find one. I don't want you in your current state. Regardless of the fact that you are not doing anything and have settled here, but I feel that you should move because your dad sped down the freeway when you were a little kid. It's the same logic. A crime you had no control of is forcing you to give up what you already worked for. This is regardless of the fact that nothing wrong is being done to others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2009, 08:11 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,564,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
The fact that they were brought to this country illegally by their parents does not obligate this country to provide them with a college education. This is not the only country in the world with universities. If they sincerely desire a college education, they can either pay the higher foreign rates (they aren’t citizens) or return to their countries of origin. It’s that simple.

It's a private college. The rates are the same for all students. Regardless of that, we should do away with out of state tuition. There is no real reason for it to be instituted.

My ex-husband came here from Argentina to attend college. He adapted very well. So well, he eventually made it his home.

He came here because he wanted to right? He took the proper classes in order to be eligible right? He didn't go "Oh crap. What do I have to do to go continue my college in a different land?" Just a hunch.
One word. . . . . “preparation.” ALL college students must prepare for the college experience; which is one reason new freshmen attend orientation. Foreign students, including my ex, often arrive in this country without any relatives or friends to help them acclimate. Therefore, it is solely their responsibility to adapt to their new environment and the culture of the host country. Somehow, most manage to excel in their studies, make new friends, and enjoy college life away from home. Are you suggesting DREAMies are the exception, and they are incapable of transitioning?

What are they going to do if the DREAM Act fails again? There is no guarantee that these students will be offered a path to citizenship, as opposed to deportation. After all, they are residing in this country illegally, and our government has every right to require their removal. Surely they realized one day they might have to leave this country. Thus, it would be wise for them to make preparations for life in their countries of origin. Only fools rely exclusively on “Plan A.”

Old 06-12-2009, 08:31 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Again, why don't you move your family and find a job in North Dakota? You can find one. I don't want you in your current state. Regardless of the fact that you are not doing anything and have settled here, but I feel that you should move because your dad sped down the freeway when you were a little kid. It's the same logic. A crime you had no control of is forcing you to give up what you already worked for. This is regardless of the fact that nothing wrong is being done to others.
I would if I had to. I'm a legal citizen of the USA and I'm in the USA, I'm a legal resident of the state I'm living and working in. That comparison is silly and you know it.

How about this one: I broke the laws of Mexico and overstayed my tourist visa and now they're telling me I must leave but I'd prefer to stay. --- That is the only comparison that works.

A heck of a lot of American kids move when their parents find jobs in other states, many are uprooted by military relocations.

And yes something wrong is being done to others. There are would-be immigrants more qualified than this young woman who are patiently waiting, filed their papers, are doing everything the right way and this one comes along and thinks she's entitled to be moved to the front of the line. She doesn't even want to be in a line.

I know of people across the border who aren't breaking USA laws, they would also like to be here, they couldn't afford our tuition rates so are studying in universities where they live. They might like to work in the USA, but people like you want to cut them out and give the lawbreakers every break there is.

Old 06-12-2009, 08:44 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
One word. . . . . “preparation.” ALL college students must prepare for the college experience; which is one reason new freshmen attend orientation. Foreign students, including my ex, often arrive in this country without any relatives or friends to help them acclimate. Therefore, it is solely their responsibility to adapt to their new environment and the culture of the host country. Somehow, most manage to excel in their studies, make new friends, and enjoy college life away from home. Are you suggesting DREAMies are the exception, and they are incapable of transitioning?

What are they going to do if the DREAM Act fails again? There is no guarantee that these students will be offered a path to citizenship, as opposed to deportation. After all, they are residing in this country illegally, and our government has every right to require their removal. Surely they realized one day they might have to leave this country. Thus, it would be wise for them to make preparations for life in their countries of origin. Only fools rely exclusively on “Plan A.”
Yes, at 18 years old it's stupid to be extremely rigid and have only one plan, one college in mind, one option.

American kids usually realize that. They might apply to 12 universities, ready to relocate to one that accepts their application. They move clear across the country. Many apply to foreign universities also. Many foreign students come here.

If this girl returns to Mexico, her country of birth what really would happen? Will her parents just stay on here legally or illegally? Would they help her stay in a dorm or apartment near one of the Mexican universities? That would certainly be one option.

Is she really so Americanized that she simply cannot stand the thought of living around Mexicans? Not likely but if she returns to Mexico, she might find she likes the people there.

When I was in college, the semester was ending, my tourist visa was about to expire. It was in the middle of winter and I had to pack up -- reluctantly because I had gotten into a day-to-day routine there, get to Mexico City where the sun was shining brightly, the weather was perfect, I looked out the plane window and the houses were all different bright pastel colors, there was a carnival -- ferris wheels and spinning rides.

The plane landed in Chicago, after a bit of a wait because they were having to clear a runway. It was gray. It was bone cold. No - I really didn't feel like getting off that plane and it was a bit of an adjustment. But I adjusted, saved some more money and went back later for another semester.

The idea that people can only adapt to the USA but can never readapt to their own country is pretty absurd.

It would be good to at least throw out the goofy arguments -- that parents must abandon young children if they go home, that no 18 year old can adapt, that there are no educational opportunities in Mexico or that going back means sure death by starvation.

When you toss out the ridiculous claims, you're left with the arguments of convenience, preferences, and so on.

Old 06-12-2009, 09:11 AM

804 posts, read 1,360,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Yes, at 18 years old it's stupid to be extremely rigid and have only one plan, one college in mind, one option.

American kids usually realize that. They might apply to 12 universities, ready to relocate to one that accepts their application. They move clear across the country. Many apply to foreign universities also. Many foreign students come here.

If this girl returns to Mexico, her country of birth what really would happen? Will her parents just stay on here legally or illegally? Would they help her stay in a dorm or apartment near one of the Mexican universities? That would certainly be one option.

Is she really so Americanized that she simply cannot stand the thought of living around Mexicans? Not likely but if she returns to Mexico, she might find she likes the people there.

When I was in college, the semester was ending, my tourist visa was about to expire. It was in the middle of winter and I had to pack up -- reluctantly because I had gotten into a day-to-day routine there, get to Mexico City where the sun was shining brightly, the weather was perfect, I looked out the plane window and the houses were all different bright pastel colors, there was a carnival -- ferris wheels and spinning rides.

The plane landed in Chicago, after a bit of a wait because they were having to clear a runway. It was gray. It was bone cold. No - I really didn't feel like getting off that plane and it was a bit of an adjustment. But I adjusted, saved some more money and went back later for another semester.

The idea that people can only adapt to the USA but can never readapt to their own country is pretty absurd.

It would be good to at least throw out the goofy arguments -- that parents must abandon young children if they go home, that no 18 year old can adapt, that there are no educational opportunities in Mexico or that going back means sure death by starvation.

When you toss out the ridiculous claims, you're left with the arguments of convenience, preferences, and so on.
That is interesting, specially to the people quoting Mexico's immigration system. In the U.S. you are not allowed to come to study on a Tourist Visa, you need a Student visa. Tourist visas are for...well... tourism.

Are you sure you were not an illegal in Mexico? Or do they have more lenient immigration laws over there, that let you go to a Mexican university on a tourist visa?

Old 06-12-2009, 10:14 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,564,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post

The entire article is pure BS, intended to tug on our heartstrings. As you stated, U.S. kids manage to adapt to new environments away from home, and there is absolutely no reason this girl can’t likewise adapt. When one lives in a country illegally, one must suffer the consequences.

She gets no sympathy from me. She should appreciate the fact that she was given the opportunity to graduate.

Old 06-12-2009, 11:02 AM

50,294 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Quote:
Well she's obviously no longer poor. Supposedly she's bright enough, thinking of going to college. She's been handed nothing but the best that American taxpayers could provide her, if she returns home, why are you insisting she's going to live in a dirt hovel shack? And that she could never attend a fine university in her own country?

How do you know she is obviously no longer poor? We don't know her economic status. I do know it's not wealthy.

Why would she not find it at least as easy studying in her own country as the many American students who have done just that? Just because she's illegal and from Mexico doesn't necessarily make her high school diploma meaningless. If Mexico recognizes the diplomas of foreign students who go there to study, why not a Mexican citizen who has the same diploma?

They don't. Mexico acknowledges those that are close to their system. Just like you can't simply go to school in the UK, unless study abroad, the same is true with Mexico. Oddly, Canada is very similar to the US (the exception being Quebec).

I think it's time to at least get this discussion on honest ground.

Stop the lies that people in Mexico are dying on the streets, dying of starvation because that isn't the case.

Nobody stated that.

Stop the lies that there are no schools, no hospitals, no doctors in Mexico.

Nor this either.

Stop the lies that no matter how responsible someone is, how hard they study and advance themselves, delaying the start of a family until after college, that there is absolutely no hope for them in Mexico. That's no longer the case.

Nor this either. So if we are going to "stop lies" then why bring up things that were never mentioned?

The honest truth is that for cases like the one in this article, there are options if she returns to Mexico. She's not going to die of starvation, she's not going to be turned away from every college -- she's a Mexican citizen after all.

Simply put, no. Again, you fail to see ALL the factors. Major, career plans, recognition of units, family situation, job situation...her life is in the US. That's just the reality of the situation.

It comes down to that she doesn't want to make any effort, she figures the taxpayers here owe her something, she believes that she's to be handed amnesty and citizenship on a silver platter and to hell with the idiot chumps who do it the legal way.

I've heard of this "North Kadota" that you speak of, is it a Country like Canada?

Old 06-12-2009, 11:05 AM

I would if I had to. I'm a legal citizen of the USA and I'm in the USA, I'm a legal resident of the state I'm living and working in. That comparison is silly and you know it.

No it's quite valid. You would try to keep your assets, remain near your family, and not have the stress of finding the same employment.

How about this one: I broke the laws of Mexico and overstayed my tourist visa and now they're telling me I must leave but I'd prefer to stay. --- That is the only comparison that works.

Not even close.

A heck of a lot of American kids move when their parents find jobs in other states, many are uprooted by military relocations.

They LIVE with their parents. My parents were thinking about moving when I was in COLLEGE. I did not plan on moving with them. Totally seperate.

And yes something wrong is being done to others. There are would-be immigrants more qualified than this young woman who are patiently waiting, filed their papers, are doing everything the right way and this one comes along and thinks she's entitled to be moved to the front of the line. She doesn't even want to be in a line.

It's a private institution, they feel she best fits that college. Nothing wrong with that.

I know of people across the border who aren't breaking USA laws, they would also like to be here, they couldn't afford our tuition rates so are studying in universities where they live. They might like to work in the USA, but people like you want to cut them out and give the lawbreakers every break there is.

She is accepted here, she grew up here, her family is here. How hard is to admit it is uprooting everything?

Old 06-12-2009, 11:07 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
america is broke mexican people still coming illegally. it was an asset b4 not now.

Old 06-12-2009, 11:14 AM

Actually nowadays that's the best way to get into grad school Prepare early.That's what employers like to here. It's a change in our cultural landscape. Sad, but very true.

12 applications amount to roughly 1200-2000 (about $100 per application). Most people apply to 3-5. Most people stay within their state. A SMALL minority leave. Usually this minority have IB diplomas.

Doubt it.

It's kind of like asking somebody to give up all they worked for to appease this other people that don't like the way they entered. Of course it's best to let her live her life.

YOU WERE A FORIEGN EXCHANGE STUDENT!!! IT'S DIFFERENT!!!! You of course can adapt to another country. But you can't throw everything away and force to adapt. It just doesn't work.

Your only argument is "I don't want her here." That's it. It's impractical, it doesn't address all the issues of the situation, and selfish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration