Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2009, 03:44 AM

3 posts, read 3,063 times

Advertisements

I was recently at a meeting where the County Commissioner spoke to his constituents. A lady stood up and complained about all the illegal aliens who stood on a long commercial street near my home looking for work. Sometimes there are over 100 Hispanic looking men on the street waiting for someone to pick them up and hire them for the day.

The County Commissioner asked the woman how she knew that these men were in fact illegal aliens. She replied, that she could tell just by looking at them. Who else is going to stand on the street 10 hours a day and try to catch the eye of potential employers who drive by? She went on to say, "They are dark Mexican Indians and do not speak English. Can't the police stop them and ask for identification?"

Would you support the police asking day laborers for their papers?
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2009, 04:24 AM

2,381 posts, read 5,044,681 times
Only if they were asking for a position with the police department.

No, not really, unless they were disturbing the peace, getting drunk, harrassing anyone, etc. If they were commiting a crime, then it would be okay.

Old 11-06-2009, 05:03 AM

776 posts, read 1,275,446 times
I think the whole concept of day laborers is great. I've used them a number of times. But I would not want their central pick-up spot to be right in front of my house. I would not mind if it was near my office building. But I wouldn't want dozens of any type of people milling around my front lawn. It would bug me if a dozen Catholic nuns hung around all day across the street from my home.

Old 11-06-2009, 05:06 AM

5,660 posts, read 5,087,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Failed Job Applicant View Post
Absolutely! And if the vast majority of illegal criminals were of Irish origin, I'd advocate the questioning of day laborers who were fair-skinned with red hair. And if the majority were of Nordic origin, I'd ask the same about tall blonde day laborers. Criminals are criminals.

If you're going fishing, don't you look for where the fish are most likely to be?

Old 11-06-2009, 06:13 AM

807 posts, read 1,302,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey cabal View Post
I think the whole concept of day laborers is great. I've used them a number of times. But I would not want their central pick-up spot to be right in front of my house. I would not mind if it was near my office building. But I wouldn't want dozens of any type of people milling around my front lawn. It would bug me if a dozen Catholic nuns hung around all day across the street from my home.
Nice! Now I know EXACTLY where to send ICE too when I call them..

Old 11-06-2009, 06:18 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,316,367 times
Isn't it against the law to solicit work in this manner anyway? That is reason enough to question these day laborers regardless of ethnicity.

Old 11-06-2009, 08:38 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,646,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Isn't it against the law to solicit work in this manner anyway? That is reason enough to question these day laborers regardless of ethnicity.
They could be picked up for vagrancy, too.
Then they should be asked for identification!

Old 11-06-2009, 10:10 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,219,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Failed Job Applicant View Post
I was recently at a meeting where the County Commissioner spoke to his constituents. A lady stood up and complained about all the illegal aliens who stood on a long commercial street near my home looking for work. Sometimes there are over 100 Hispanic looking men on the street waiting for someone to pick them up and hire them for the day.

The County Commissioner asked the woman how she knew that these men were in fact illegal aliens. She replied, that she could tell just by looking at them. Who else is going to stand on the street 10 hours a day and try to catch the eye of potential employers who drive by? She went on to say, "They are dark Mexican Indians and do not speak English. Can't the police stop them and ask for identification?"

Yes I would. I would support police asking any non-english speaking day laborer for proper ID including green cards.

Old 11-06-2009, 10:18 AM

8,978 posts, read 16,555,667 times
The police shouldn't have to ask ANYONE for their papers. We should be able to walk around our society without being 'checked on'. Unfortunately, we've now allowed 20 million people here who don't legally belong here....and the day is approaching when the police may end up asking ALL OF US for our 'papers', on a routine basis.

Lesson? Control your borders...make sure everyone who's here is supposed to be here...and then you're safe in assuming we're all legal, and that there's no need to check papers. Start letting in those you shouldn't, and at some point we'll all have to PROVE our right to be here.

You can have it one way, or the other...but not both.

Old 11-06-2009, 10:32 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,560,802 times
Illegal immigration is simply that. . . . illegal. Yes, we should request ID from day laborers. If they are here legally, all is well. If they are illegal aliens, they should be deported. Why have laws if they are not going to be enforced?

I have said it before, and I’ll say it again, 100 Americans would never be permitted to loiter on corners without police intervention, even if they were seeking work. I have witnessed as few as 5 black men being forced to leave a store parking lot. Why should men who are here in violation of our laws be the exception?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration