Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 11:23 AM

1,398 posts, read 6,606,623 times

Advertisements

Stockholmaren, we have close friends in Europe, and one of our running jokes is that everywhere in the world, people want to learn English for commerce and as professional assets, everywhere but here in Los Angeles!

In sad contrast to your posts about European liberal arts education at high school level, we have so many illegals and other residents in Los Angeles who believe no knowledge of the English language is ever going to be needed in their lives. Rather than reaching out to others for help in acquisition of an admittedly difficult language, situations we as tourists know can prompt mutual understanding, they insist upon xenophobic insularity and outright contempt of all others not from "their home country."

Insofar as the U.S. is peopled with folks from all over the globe who have coalesced into our American culture, speaking English remains utterly necessray for inclusiveness of all, "e pluribus unum." It should not be requisite to be a professional linguist to converse with one's own neighbors, which on my block would involve knowing six different languages. It should not be necessary to converse in a foreign language in a general, non-specialty store in the U.S. Regular chain stores here have personnel with no knowledge of English. They could care less, and don't hesitate to make it known to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2007, 03:48 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,343,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockholmaren View Post
.......They will start foreign language early (I started in first grade) and it's mandatory throughout high school, but university programs are structured in way so you mostly study subjects within your major. Most of the liberal arts classes are completed while in high school if you follow a college-prep path, but they aren't required when you start college.
I believe that starting young is a wonderful idea! With 12 years of a foreign language, additional study in college would not be needed -IMO. My daughter found that when she was in Germany, no one wanted to speak to her in German - they all wanted to practice their English with a native speaker! She took German in high school, then as an undergraduate, and was looking forward to polishing her ability to converse. She was able to become slightly (her view) more fluent, but she says that she's not to blame if Germans speak English with a Southern accent!

Old 05-29-2007, 08:52 PM

646 posts, read 1,787,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
Is English generally the required foreign language if it isn't your first language?
Yes, English is required, and then you can pick another language such as Spanish, French, or German to name the most common if you like to learn another one, but that is usually not mandatory.

Old 05-29-2007, 08:54 PM

646 posts, read 1,787,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfilm View Post
Stockholmaren, we have close friends in Europe, and one of our running jokes is that everywhere in the world, people want to learn English for commerce and as professional assets, everywhere but here in Los Angeles!

In sad contrast to your posts about European liberal arts education at high school level, we have so many illegals and other residents in Los Angeles who believe no knowledge of the English language is ever going to be needed in their lives. Rather than reaching out to others for help in acquisition of an admittedly difficult language, situations we as tourists know can prompt mutual understanding, they insist upon xenophobic insularity and outright contempt of all others not from "their home country."

Insofar as the U.S. is peopled with folks from all over the globe who have coalesced into our American culture, speaking English remains utterly necessray for inclusiveness of all, "e pluribus unum." It should not be requisite to be a professional linguist to converse with one's own neighbors, which on my block would involve knowing six different languages. It should not be necessary to converse in a foreign language in a general, non-specialty store in the U.S. Regular chain stores here have personnel with no knowledge of English. They could care less, and don't hesitate to make it known to you.

Great post! That is truly unfortunately that there are so many people who does not want to learn the language. I think that is probably the most important to do when you are new in a country.

Old 05-30-2007, 01:45 AM

1,499 posts, read 4,832,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danbomo View Post
Where is our priorties? Do we speak English or do we speak
Spanish? I called Att&T today and they "Recording"'

"If you would like to continue in English please press one"'

I think I am from the USA and I speak English why do I have
to press one to continue in English, But if I am spanish I
Just start talking to them.

WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!1

We live in the USA I am not an illegal immegrant!
Maybe we can file a lawsuit against the English/Spanish companiues to force them to offer services in Chinese, Russian, Portuguese, Korean, and Tagalog.

But at the very minimum these companies should do something like "for Spanish press 8" and have the stupid thing be in English from the very begining as that is the right way. It pisses me off when I have to choose 'English' as an option! That should be the default with other languages as options.

I went to Lowe's and Home Depot yesterday.... I kid you not, not 1 item sold or 1 sign in either store was not written in Spanish! Not 1!!

Old 08-22-2011, 05:47 PM

187 posts, read 181,870 times
[quote=danbomo;776599]Where is our priorties? Do we speak English or do we speak

I have no problem with that, being bilingual is an advantage, we should all learn spanish, sometimes I call a business and the waiting period is too long, then I call back using the spanish feature and usually get through rapidly, wake up usa!!!, to learn spanish here is a big advantage.....

Old 08-22-2011, 06:21 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,221,236 times
[quote=miss yauco;20564946]
Quote:
Originally Posted by danbomo View Post
Where is our priorties? Do we speak English or do we speak

I have no problem with that, being bilingual is an advantage, we should all learn spanish, sometimes I call a business and the waiting period is too long, then I call back using the spanish feature and usually get through rapidly, wake up usa!!!, to learn spanish here is a big advantage.....
Hmmm so because your bilingual and your chosen language is spanish everyone else should chose spanish also?
How about this Spanish speakers in this country become bilingual and learn english instead.
I am also bilingual. Thai is my second language but unlike some spanish speakers I dont attempt to impose my choice on others.

Old 08-22-2011, 06:21 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,994,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torn2pieces View Post
They don't care. I have canceled service because of the bad help. Usually it's from a non speaking person.

Lot's of companies outsource to India. They try to hid their accent, but it's pretty obvious.
Lots of companies outsource to the Phillippines too, but at least their English is way better than people from India.

English is the second language over there & is taught in school at an early age, unlike in most countries. In fact its required. They understand the importance of learning English.

Old 08-22-2011, 07:03 PM

3 posts, read 2,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miss yauco View Post

Old 08-22-2011, 08:53 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Quote:
I don't know about other states but in California, you absolutely must have a foreign language in order to obtain a B.A. I'm transfering out of California to the University of Wyoming and they also require a foreign language for a B.A. I would think that most state universities would not deviate in their requirements that much.
Quote:
I find it difficult to believe that most universities do not require a foreign language. I think that Ohio may be the exception to the rule. All of the universities that I looked at outside of California (Wyoming, Texas, Montana, the Dakotas, Oklahoma, Louisiana, and Tennessee) required foreign language units for a Bachelor's.
My university (University of Texas at Austin) required four semesters of a foreign language for every degree that I am aware of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration