Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 09:26 PM

3,875 posts, read 3,871,765 times

Advertisements

Daniel Leon, 22 - Homicide Report - Los Angeles Times Here's a link on this loser's half brother also an Anchor baby Avenues gang bastion is demolished - Los Angeles Times The lovely 2 bedroom home his Illegal alien mom lived in with her massive family,also detailing this Illegal aliens criminal past going back to 1992 .Something is terribly wrong when the system allows parasites like this to breed and live here this long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2010, 09:13 AM

3,854 posts, read 4,836,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antarez View Post
This observation is really ridiculous as LA is hardly the Appalachia last time I checked it was a MODERN Metropolis!

My contention was to point out the children for the most part are subject to their surroundings. If a child is reared in the "Getto" most likely he is influenced by life in the getto. If you take that same child, and place him in a working class neighborhood where the kids play Little League, and join Boyscouts, and if that child were allowed to participate, what kind of kid would he likely grow up to be...

Illegal alien children are reared for the most part, by parents trying to make ends meet living in a country that they live "undercover" or "underground".

I am not making any judgements or arguments pro or con...Im simply trying to point out that if that family had their choice to rear their children around 'gang bangers' or in a hard working middle-class neighborhood, I think I know which one they would choose.

Old 02-10-2010, 12:00 PM

50,308 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by open arm View Post
Most of us came from immigrants to begn with. The true Americans are the Native Americans. Imagine what it was like for them . So why do we have the right to so quickly judge those that flee a country so that they can feed their familes. Not all illlegals come here to do illegal things. It is just tooo bad that our papers don't focuson the good rather than single out this one family. Abit more empathy for mankind would go a lot further than considering a fello human being an illegal alien invader.
Not this tired argument again? It's been shown time and time again the average Illegal Alien from Mexico or Guatemala pays 2-5 THOUSAND dollars to be smuggled here. Now in the converted rate to the currency of say, Mexico, please tell me how many cans of beans and tortillas (the cheapest food available) can you buy for 5 thousand dollars?

I'd say you could eat for about 10 years on 5 thousand dollars.

Old 03-01-2010, 09:24 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,054,634 times
I married an anchor baby. My husband, a child of USAF parents, was born in Okinawa in the 60's. He held dual citizenship until he reached the age of majority and requested his Japanese citizenship rescinded, which allowed him take advantage of a military scholarship. I do realize that comparing this to the problem of anchor babies born through illegal immigration is like comparing apples and oranges. Still, it's always a little funny to drop this tidbit into a conversation with a strident anti-immigration type and watch him struggle to figure it out.

Last edited by formercalifornian; 03-01-2010 at 10:13 PM..

Old 03-02-2010, 05:53 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,138,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
I married an anchor baby. My husband, a child of USAF parents, was born in Okinawa in the 60's. He held dual citizenship until he reached the age of majority and requested his Japanese citizenship rescinded, which allowed him take advantage of a military scholarship. I do realize that comparing this to the problem of anchor babies born through illegal immigration is like comparing apples and oranges. Still, it's always a little funny to drop this tidbit into a conversation with a strident anti-immigration type and watch him struggle to figure it out.
Your hubby was not an Anchor Baby (unless counting his Japanese citizenship) since at least one of his parents was a US citizen. Read that he was as much of an Anchor as Sen. John McCain since he was born in the US Canal Zone (Panama).

BTW: most of us anti's here are against illegal immigration, there is a difference.

Old 03-02-2010, 07:06 AM

Apparently, the irony of my post was a little too subtle. Never mind.

Old 03-02-2010, 09:11 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,564,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
Apparently, the irony of my post was a little too subtle. Never mind.
Then, please enlighten us. You stated you married an anchor baby, when in fact you did not. There is nothing “subtle” involved. You are either unaware of what constitutes an “anchor baby” designation, or you are intellectually dishonest.

Old 03-02-2010, 09:21 AM

You're taking my post much too seriously! It was just supposed to be a funny counterpoint, because my spouse held Japanese citizenship even though he was born in a military hospital to American parents. From the Japanese perspective, he could be considered an anchor baby.

Oh, forget it! Obviously, I'm only funny in my own mind. Carry on with your discussion.

Last edited by formercalifornian; 03-02-2010 at 09:30 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration