Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 12:14 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,663,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Citizens don't have green cards but a green card is proof that you are here legally.
Isn't a holder of a green card a citizen of this country? A naturalized citizen?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2010, 12:15 PM

Quote:
The cop's assumption won't matter if you have valid I.D. he can't do anything to you.
They can do anything they want to you for 48 hours. Then if they don't have a crime to charge you with, they let you go.

Old 04-28-2010, 12:21 PM

234 posts, read 241,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
C'mon man, where's your green card? You say you're a citizen, you better have a green card.
Since when does a US Citizen need a green card?

A green card is also known as a permanent resident card which is not formal Citizenship in the USA.

So your entire comment is plagued with inaccuracies.

Old 04-28-2010, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Isn't a holder of a green card a citizen of this country? A naturalized citizen?

A holder of a green card is a permanent resident and after 5 years of living in the USA they can apply for Naturalization & Citizenship.

The green card serves as proof that its holder, a Lawful Permanent Resident (LPR), has been officially granted immigration benefits, which include permission to reside and take employment in the USA. The holder must maintain permanent resident status, and can be removed from the United States if certain conditions of this status are not met.

So to answer your question, NO they're not officially a Citizen yet but do enjoy many of the benefits of a Citizen.

Old 04-28-2010, 12:27 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,931,790 times
Tkramar...I'm a little surprised based upon your intellegent posts in not knowing the terms/conditions regarding the Green Card.

The Green Card is issued as a proof of residency and is NOT a Citizenship card.

People from other countries apply for residency and are required to pass certain requirements in order to qualify.

The Green card is for a set time period in yrs and is renewable with fees and a person can still be refused a renewal or be deported for a major crime. There is NO lifetime guarantee...screw up and your history.

I speak as a former Green Card holder and now a Citizen.

Steve

Old 04-28-2010, 12:30 PM

Default Truck driver forced to show birth certificate claims racial-profiling

Quote:
The cop's assumption won't matter if you have valid I.D. he can't do anything to you.
Tell that to this Hispanic Truck driver who had his drivers license and other documents on his person when stopped at an Arizona truck stop.

Truck driver forced to show birth certificate claims racial-profiling

PHOENIX – A Valley man says he was pulled over Wednesday morning and questioned when he arrived at a weigh station for his commercial vehicle along Val Vista and the 202 freeway.

Truck driver forced to show birth certificate claims racial-profiling | Phoenix News | Arizona News | azfamily.com | Featured Videos

Old 04-28-2010, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico from East Los View Post
Since when does a US Citizen need a green card?

A green card is also known as a permanent resident card which is not formal Citizenship in the USA.

So your entire comment is plagued with inaccuracies.
No, it was a misunderstanding. The poster below you explained it. I always had thought that the green card meant that you were a citizen, that's why many immigrants strove to get one....so I thought. My parents were born here and were their parents, and the parents of their parents, so I don't understand the whole immigration thing. I'm certainly not planning to emigrate anywhere--even to visit!

Old 04-28-2010, 03:57 PM

Quote:
No, it was a misunderstanding. The poster below you explained it. I always had thought that the green card meant that you were a citizen, that's why many immigrants strove to get one....so I thought. My parents were born here and were their parents, and the parents of their parents, so I don't understand the whole immigration thing. I'm certainly not planning to emigrate anywhere--even to visit!

LMFAO, same here. I don't want to go anywhere but within America.

Old 04-28-2010, 04:07 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,224,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico from East Los View Post
LMFAO, same here. I don't want to go anywhere but within America.
Variety is the spice of life. I love to travel. But then I do it within the terms of the law. The law of what ever country I visit. That said I avoid certain countries.

Old 04-28-2010, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Variety is the spice of life. I love to travel. But then I do it within the terms of the law. The law of what ever country I visit. That said I avoid certain countries.
Just don't goto Mexico, at least for now. I have personal in the back of a Mexican Police car stories that nobody will believe. I even know a buddy who was thrown in jail for being a witness to a car accident. Apparently they didn't want their foreign National witnesses to get away. Never volunteer as a witness over there. I even have a co-worker who was left for dead in the desert becuase he was drunk and popped off to a Mexican police office, shoes were taken also.

Yea, I'll just shut up now, you get the picture...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration