Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 10:06 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times

Advertisements

I wonder what the Founding Fathers would have thought of politicians who out of their own greed and lack of love for this country allowed Phoenix to become the second place kidnap capital of the world, with foreign citizens being kidnapped and foreign citizens doing the kidnaps?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2010, 10:08 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
And it's funny -- all those who talk about the "rights" of foreigners living and coming here illegally are completely silent when it comes to those same foreigners being held for ransom, even tortured. It's because it's their beloved illegals are committing those crimes.

Old 05-02-2010, 10:13 AM

3,854 posts, read 4,836,467 times
I like to hide behind the constitution, but that is a liveing document. The founding fathers are dead and dont have an opinion on anchor babies and Phoenix's Kidnapping rate. I think its time to let them rest, they did their part. Time for us to do ours.

Old 05-02-2010, 10:13 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,909,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmkcin View Post
It doesn't matter why their parents came to this country. The constitution doesn't make any distinction. Just because you hate them, doesn't mean we should drop everything and amend long standing LAWS to make racist neo-cons happy.

That sir, is all.

Care to show me these "legal" arguments. Because frankly, the only legal argument that matters is section 1 of the 14th Amendment.

Are you really this dense? I mean, so we should change the law according to your perceptions of what may or may not have been the case 150 years ago? This is an idiot argument.
Well, I don't know where you got the idea that I "hate them". I simply asked a question hoping for an intelligent answer. I guess you don't have one. And yes it DOES matter WHY their parents came to this country. If they came here ILLEGALLY they are in the wrong. I have absolutely nothing against LEGAL immigration but ILLEGAL, yes, I do.

Oh and by the way, I'm not a "sir".

Old 05-02-2010, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post
We could strip them of their citizenship. They should have never been granted it in the fist place,
how are you going to strip rights from another american citizen?...what rights are you able to strip now?

Old 05-02-2010, 12:44 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,127,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
Liberals are coming up with weirder and weirder statements as they face the American people's opposition to the amnesty they want to grant to illegal aliens who have broken our immigration laws.

The latest one comes from situations where a husband and wife from another country, enter the U.S. illegally, and then have one or more babies while they are here. They then get caught by ICE and slated for deportation. The kids they had here, are American citizens as our laws are currently interpreted, and of course the government cannot deport such kids.

Then comes the weirdness: Liberals are demanding, what do "WE" do with those kids?

As mentioned, of course, the government has no power to do anything with those kids... nor should they have. The parents are the ones who will decide what will happen with their own kids, of course, not the government. How could it be otherwise?

Obviously, the choices are (a) the parents take their kids with them when they return to their original country, or (b) the parents leave the kids here, in the country of the kids' citizenship, hopefully with trusted friends, family etc. It's a terrible choice to have to make.

But where do our esteemed brethern of the southpaw persuasion, get the idea that it is "WE" (that's liberal-speak for "the government") who should decide what happens with the kids???

I know that leftists often take the attitude that is Government doesn't do something, nobody will do it. That's weird enough, but at least we're used to it. But this one breaks new ground.

Those parents who entered the country illegally, knew the law called for their deportation, and that it would happen as soon as they were caught. Then, incredibly, they brought children into that world, deliberately and knowingly subjecting those kids to being deprived of either their parents, or the land of their birth and citizenship.

What on Earth possessed those parents, to subject their own children to such a cruel choice? Are these people INHUMAN? How can they do that to their kids?

Now they are stuck with that choice - one they saw coming a long time ago. What are their plans? What did they intend to do with their kids, if/when the law caught up to them as they always knew it might?

The question is not, "What are we going to do with their kids?".

The question is, "What are THEY going to do about THEIR OWN kids?".
Simple. Grant both parents a visa. That'll be the first step in their legalization process. We need more people.

Old 05-02-2010, 03:16 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,320,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
Simple. Grant both parents a visa. That'll be the first step in their legalization process. We need more people.
Why? They violated our immigration laws. We don't need more people, we need less. Learn something about the carrying capacity of this nation. We already reached it long ago.

Old 05-07-2010, 03:59 PM

37,982 posts, read 22,157,422 times
Quote:
Well it would take an amendment to the Constitution to do that.

If I go back enough generations, there will be one that wasn't born in the country, but their children were. Should we retroactively strip them of their citizenship, which will affect my citizenship?

Same thing goes for you, and everyone on this forum who isn't of pure Native American descent.

It's how immigration works. They need a path to citizenship and naturalization.
The US Constitution does not say anyone that has a baby in our country is granted automatic citizenship.

The 14th Amendment reads in part:

All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside.

A foreign citizen who crosses our borders is a citizen of their country of origin, and is not "subject to the jurisdiction" of the United States, and thus any child born by them is not entitled to US citizenship, the child a citizen of the same country as that of their parent. A person is not "subject to the jurisdiction" of the United States after the fact.

Old 05-07-2010, 04:41 PM

[quote=Wapasha;14081588]The US Constitution does not say anyone that has a baby in our country is granted automatic citizenship.

The 14th Amendment reads in part:

All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside.

A foreign citizen who crosses our borders is a citizen of their country of origin, and is not "subject to the jurisdiction" of the United States, and thus any child born by them is not entitled to US citizenship, the child a citizen of the same country as that of their parent. A person is not "subject to the jurisdiction" of the United States after the fact.[/quote]

The Child is subject to the jurisdiction thereof, and since he is the citizen it works out.

Old 05-07-2010, 04:41 PM

37,982 posts, read 22,157,422 times
Quote:
Well according to the at little docuament aka the Constitution, anyone born on american soil is get this one, automatically a US citizen.

We do nothing they are here legally. They were never not here in the first place.
Show me where it says that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration