Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 02:14 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,701,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzelogik View Post
Crossing the GD border
No I am here because in the 17th Century my anscestors were caught stealing horses in England. They had a choice of coming to America or hanging. But I didn't steeal any horses
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2010, 02:15 PM

37,213 posts, read 19,210,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
No I am here because in the 17th Century my anscestors were caught stealing horses in England. They had a choice of coming to America or hanging. But I didn't steeal any horses
Your family must have come in through Savannah (then Yamacraw Bluff).
Right?

Old 05-01-2010, 02:16 PM

296 posts, read 273,513 times
watch the show... America The Story of Us — America The Story of Us: Rebels — History.com Videos

one interesting part was on smallpox and how it was actually a good thing, in a way. Very fascinating program and I look forward to watching part deux tomorrow.

Old 05-01-2010, 02:17 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,701,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
Your family must have come in through Savannah (then Yamacraw Bluff).
Right?
Plymouth, they weren't all Pilgrims

Old 05-01-2010, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Plymouth, they weren't all Pilgrims
I was thinking of the Georgia settlements created from English prisoners by James Oglethorpe. Didn't even think about Plymouth. Thanks.

Old 05-01-2010, 04:35 PM

6,104 posts, read 5,991,811 times
I have an ancester who came to America as a religious apstate in Cromwells Britain. In 1635 he went to Massachusettes Bay Colony but he was a Anabaptist so he got kicked out of not only Massachusettes but the Provedence Plantation (Rhode Island). Eventually he stopped running and lived in New Amsterdam. His grandson left New Amsterdam when it fell to the British and he ended up in Penns Quaker colony. Well I have an ancester who was shunned and run out of Penna. by the Quakers. Go figure. So it was off to frontier of North Carolina and then when that became too oppresive to the the new land called Arkansas and Missouri.

Old 05-01-2010, 04:46 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,317,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
I am here because my ancestors killed enough natives with guns, smallpox, and syphillis to make the surviviors easy to evict from their land so it could be stolen and farmed.

We were nice to them. Had I been Spanish and Catholic, we might have enslaved them to boot and put them to work in the mines.
You seem to have some guilt. If so, why don't you just live wherever it is your ancestors lived before they came to the U.S.?

Old 05-01-2010, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
You seem to have some guilt. If so, why don't you just live wherever it is your ancestors lived before they came to the U.S.?
No guilt in the least. Why should I have? I am not the one who did it.

By the same token, I wouldn't come to your house and shoot you so I could live there.

Hope that clears things up a bit for you. Or are you saying that the scenario I outlined didn't happen?

Old 05-01-2010, 05:19 PM

5,407 posts, read 7,795,499 times
I am here because of a potato blight a century ago. GD it!

Old 05-01-2010, 05:44 PM

8,624 posts, read 9,090,222 times
The idea, from the ignorant left, that everyone in America is an illegal immigrant would even make the indians illegal immigrants. People, EVEN INDIANS, migrated from somewhere. They need to get off that bandwagon or continue to look like idiots.

How the h*ll did they think all the countries became populated, unless people migrated from somewher else.

Now, you know lefties, we have countries, with borders, with laws that need to be respected. It's time to live in today and throw your left winger propaganda out the window. I believe we should adopt Mexico's stance on illegal immigration and round all the illegal immigrants up and boot their arse back over the border.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration