Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 12:45 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,331,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
Actually, no. He didn't say that either.

Go back and read it again.

An Amendment cannot be rewritten without another Amendment. Not for clarity, not for any other reason.
Chase your own tail. I am done with you on this.

Old 06-07-2010, 12:49 PM

20,892 posts, read 16,096,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Chase your own tail. I am done with you on this.
LOL... I guess you find it easier to run away than to simply read.

Buh bye.

Old 06-07-2010, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
LOL... I guess you find it easier to run away than to simply read.

Buh bye.
No, I just have no desire to debate with a brick wall. By the way, you sound a lot like another brick wall that use to post in here and got banned. Repeated himself over and over even when his nonsense was put to rest by not only me but most of the other posters in here. Hmm.

Old 06-07-2010, 01:30 PM

20,892 posts, read 16,096,515 times
Quote:
No, I just have no desire to debate with a brick wall.
Hey... I'm not the one who has responded to a post three times without ever actually reading the thing.

Note that I'm cutting you some slack there. Assuming you haven't read it at all is far more congenial than assuming you actually have read it three times and just don't understand it.

As to my repeating myself, it's merely symmetry. I can correct your error just as many times as you insist on making it. And if you make the same error, it will get corrected the same way.

Every time.

Old 06-07-2010, 02:37 PM

364 posts, read 497,133 times
Quote:
I disagree with this summation and it is based on the language of this amendment. Yes, there have been bills drawn up to deny birthright citizenship to children of illegal aliens in the past that went nowhere but with illegal immigration being a hot topic today and even states taking measures to stop it now and considering the volume of illegal aliens in our country today compared to the past the time is ripe for such a bill to pass and it will.

If a viable poll were taken today on the pulse of the American public on this issue it would prove that the majority of Americans want the birthright citizenship clause changed.
Can you support your position with factual evidence? I've provided quotes from the Congressional Record of the 39th Congress and the most cited case law regarding birthright citizenship.

You disagree? On what grounds? Unless or until you provide factual evidence to support your position it seems entirely uninformed and should be summarily dismissed.

I said some legal scholars may believe a statute is enough to change the law. However, the overwhelming majority consensus is that an Amendment to the Constitution is necessary.

It is irrelevant if a majority of Americans support or oppose such a measure. If you polled in the correct way you could get a majority of Americans to support or oppose almost anything and the law is settled on this matter.

Old 06-07-2010, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauiwowie View Post
Can you support your position with factual evidence? I've provided quotes from the Congressional Record of the 39th Congress and the most cited case law regarding birthright citizenship.

You disagree? On what grounds? Unless or until you provide factual evidence to support your position it seems entirely uninformed and should be summarily dismissed.

I said some legal scholars may believe a statute is enough to change the law. However, the overwhelming majority consensus is that an Amendment to the Constitution is necessary.

It is irrelevant if a majority of Americans support or oppose such a measure. If you polled in the correct way you could get a majority of Americans to support or oppose almost anything and the law is settled on this matter.
I have no stats on what some legal scholars think but obviously there is a way to get the 14th amended or there wouldn't be legislation pending to do just that. Anything can be challenged but that doesn't mean it will succeed. Supposedly 1070 is unconstitutional but I believe it will hold up against any challenge.

I have already discussed my views and interpretation of the 14th. You want me to do it again? Just search my posts and others in here who believe that the 14th in its present interpretation is not what the writers intended. Whatever it takes to change it should be done.

I believe if you asked the public a straight forward question of "do you believe that children of illegal aliens born on our soil should continue to be granted instant citizenship" you would get a resounding NO!

Old 06-08-2010, 01:03 AM

7,541 posts, read 6,278,780 times
OMG how many times must it be repeated? Do you even know how an AMENDMENT is made?

for the umpteenth time:

YOU CANNOT AMEND AN AMENDMENT!!!1!

Repeat that again:

YOU CANNOT AMEND AN AMENDMENT!!!!

Chicago, you will continually look ignorant in the eyes of many here if you keep on stating "amend the 14th" or "reinterpret the 14th" because you SHOW you do not have a BASIC understanding of the processes OUTLINED in the VERY Constitution you are criticizing!

ARTICLE 5 of our Constitution outlines how one AMENDS the constitution. YOU do not Amend amendments.

As I've repeatedly stated, the only way to correct an Amendment is make another AMENDMENT to the constitution, and that has been done before where the 21st Amendment was created to REPEAL the statements in the 18th Amendment.

why do you persist on claiming that the 14th must be reinterpreted - that's like saying that you must reinterpret the word BLACK so that it means WHITE.

The 14th Amendment is QUITE clear, no interpretation is needed - ALL person born or naturalized are Citizens of the United States. There is no reinterpretation needed.

Quote:
I have already discussed my views and interpretation of the 14th. You want me to do it again? Just search my posts and others in here who believe that the 14th in its present interpretation is not what the writers intended. Whatever it takes to change it should be done.
NOT based on any evidence as shown in mauiwowie's post. In fact the writers were very clear on whom they considered citizens, and even though the amendment was written at the end of the CIVIL War, to give black slaves citizenship, IT wasn't the ONLY reason why it was written.

And as stated, there is numerous CASE law prior to the passing of the 14th Amendment that supports born on US soil = Citizen.

The person who is not basing anything on facts have been you and the rest of you 14th Amendment deniers.

As for polling the public, again polls are subjective; ask the right question and you can have poll takers answer in the WAY you want them to answer. As seen here:

(Some language may offend):

YouTube - Bleep You, Frank!

Old 06-08-2010, 03:52 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,736,358 times
This thread should have been closed a while ago. For the future though, please learn to agree to disagree, and maybe stop treating every forum discussion as a war you have to win.
Yac.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration