Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 01:17 PM

3,948 posts, read 4,306,483 times

Advertisements

At work, I just sat back and listened to some other people's discussion about illegal immigration. I don't know why, but I just knew it would be a good opportunity to once again here what other people are thinking. There were about 5 of them discussing it. Three were just listening, you know, "Mmm hmming" every now and then, one felt that they need to be left alone and the other one expressed that "something needs to be done about it."

The interesting thing to me were the comments of the lady who basically felt that they aren't doing anything wrong. She said things such as, "Mexico hasn't done anything to us, the only relationship we've had with them was taking their land." "They only want to go to New Mexico and California."

I just couldn't believe that someone could be so supportive of illegal immigration and not even know the truth of it. I wondered how many other U.S. Citizens like herself really believed those misconceptions. How many of our fellow U.S. Citizens and legal residents really know what is going on? Do they even know the population of illegal immigrants to be so relaxed about this? Do they know how someone in their family is affected by illegal immigration and if they found out, would they then join us in caring?

Another thing she said was, "They already got a wall, what's a wall going to do?" So many people have NO idea about what the wall really looks like down in the South. There's not even anything built in some areas. Anyone can just walk through. If they lived in a border town and illegal immigrants just kept walking through their backyard and she, as a single woman, didn't feel comfortable, would she then wake up and care?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2010, 01:22 PM

What are some quotes you've heard that just make you realize that a supporter of illegal immigration has no clue about what they are supporting and what is really going on? The sad thing is that they are the ones in the streets marching with illegal immigrants and that perception that people are in support of illegal immigration is hurting our cause to reduce it. They are the ones running around in the streets at rallies looking all wild and shouting along with illegal immigrants. That's the world we live in though.

Old 06-06-2010, 04:27 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,320,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoEdible View Post
At work, I just sat back and listened to some other people's discussion about illegal immigration. I don't know why, but I just knew it would be a good opportunity to once again here what other people are thinking. There were about 5 of them discussing it. Three were just listening, you know, "Mmm hmming" every now and then, one felt that they need to be left alone and the other one expressed that "something needs to be done about it."

The interesting thing to me were the comments of the lady who basically felt that they aren't doing anything wrong. She said things such as, "Mexico hasn't done anything to us, the only relationship we've had with them was taking their land." "They only want to go to New Mexico and California."

I just couldn't believe that someone could be so supportive of illegal immigration and not even know the truth of it. I wondered how many other U.S. Citizens like herself really believed those misconceptions. How many of our fellow U.S. Citizens and legal residents really know what is going on? Do they even know the population of illegal immigrants to be so relaxed about this? Do they know how someone in their family is affected by illegal immigration and if they found out, would they then join us in caring?

Another thing she said was, "They already got a wall, what's a wall going to do?" So many people have NO idea about what the wall really looks like down in the South. There's not even anything built in some areas. Anyone can just walk through. If they lived in a border town and illegal immigrants just kept walking through their backyard and she, as a single woman, didn't feel comfortable, would she then wake up and care?
Expect many from Mexican ancestry here to totalally disregard our borders and laws and use some lame justification for illegal aliens based on the past. Their ethnocentricism trumps everything.

Last edited by chicagonut; 06-06-2010 at 05:16 PM..

Old 06-06-2010, 04:28 PM

364 posts, read 244,368 times
mexico is mad over gettin its butt whupped
by us americans
but mexico aint mad over spane
doing tha same thing long ago
maybe mex need to talk to texas
tex ppl gave mexico tha boot
rememer tha alamo
bfore tha usa took cali an az

Old 06-06-2010, 05:01 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,452,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertJackson1980 View Post
mexico is mad over gettin its butt whupped
by us americans
but mexico aint mad over spane
doing tha same thing long ago
maybe mex need to talk to texas
tex ppl gave mexico tha boot
rememer tha alamo
bfore tha usa took cali an az
spane?

Old 06-06-2010, 05:54 PM

1,928 posts, read 3,645,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
spane?
Not critizing Robert but he does that whole shorthand thing.

What bothers me is I understand it.

Old 06-06-2010, 06:26 PM

3,854 posts, read 4,836,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Expect many from Mexican ancestry here to totalally disregard our borders and laws and use some lame justification for illegal aliens based on the past. Their ethnocentricism trumps everything.
The OP said that supporters of "illegal immigrants" are misinformed...

How did Mexicans and people of Mexican ancestry become the focus?

Please explain how people of Mexican ancestry are misinformed and blind?

Old 06-06-2010, 06:26 PM

1,742 posts, read 959,658 times
I think a lot of it has to do with what part of the country you live in. Here in southern California, and the rest of the Southwest, we have seen first hand the huge impact of this issue over the last 20 years. The rest of the country didn't have a clue until recently when the numbers of illegals soared in places like Virginia, Georgia, North Carolina, etc. Coincidentally(?), it was when these areas first became affected that the government finally started doing something (as little and as late as it was)

As a native Californian, Hispanic-Americans have always been a part of our community. To call everyone who is against illegal immigration "racist" is ignorant at best and reprehensible at worst. There is a huge difference between Americans of Hispanic ancestry and the wave upon wave of recent Illegal immigrants.

Just in the last 15 years or so, I have seen a huge increase in the non-English speaking population. They are almost uniformly poor and uneducated. They have brought crime, gangs, and graffitti into once decent neighborhoods. This is not necessarily a comment on their ethnicity. The fact is, middle class people don't want to live with poor people, whatever their color or ethnic background. This is an aspect of the issue that has been completely ignored. If southern California had been invaded by millions of alcoholic, meth taking, poor white trash instead of illegal Mexicans and Central Americans, the response would be pretty much the same.

Old 06-06-2010, 06:27 PM

Also, if you all can mention some of the reasons that you think people are sympathetic to illegal immigrants as well. I'm noticing that wealthy people who enjoy the services of illegal immigrants usually don't mind them. Also, people who own farm industry businesses or who work with illegal immigrants try to excuse them. It's just weird to me that lots of people are so OK with illegal immigration because it benefits them. So, they become the voice of illegal immigrants and the only thing that makes them want to support illegal immigrants is because they aren't negatively affected by it.

Old 06-06-2010, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralZone View Post
I think a lot of it has to do with what part of the country you live in. Here in southern California, and the rest of the Southwest, we have seen first hand the huge impact of this issue over the last 20 years. The rest of the country didn't have a clue until recently when the numbers of illegals soared in places like Virginia, Georgia, North Carolina, etc. Coincidentally(?), it was when these areas first became affected that the government finally started doing something (as little and as late as it was)

As a native Californian, Hispanic-Americans have always been a part of our community. To call everyone who is against illegal immigration "racist" is ignorant at best and reprehensible at worst. There is a huge difference between Americans of Hispanic ancestry and the wave upon wave of recent Illegal immigrants.

Just in the last 15 years or so, I have seen a huge increase in the non-English speaking population. They are almost uniformly poor and uneducated. They have brought crime, gangs, and graffitti into once decent neighborhoods. This is not necessarily a comment on their ethnicity. The fact is, middle class people don't want to live with poor people, whatever their color or ethnic background. This is an aspect of the issue that has been completely ignored. If southern California had been invaded by millions of alcoholic, meth taking, poor white trash instead of illegal Mexicans and Central Americans, the response would be pretty much the same.
I agree with everything you said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration