Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 02:17 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,344,316 times

Advertisements

We have talked a lot about border crossing.

Yet, if they come in a boat, it is fine.

Is it time to change this???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2010, 02:26 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,564,801 times
First of all Cubans aren't storming our beaches in droves and the very few who even try to leave the island by boat are usually intercepted by the Coast Guard before they even get to shore. Realize that those fleeing Cuba are political refugees and not some illegal looking to work in the US and a hand me out.
Big difference.

Old 06-06-2010, 04:05 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,318,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post

Yes, I believe it is time to change this. Enough is enough this has been going on for years now. The Cubans have managed to turn Miami and other Florida cities into little Havana. I am tired of foreigners changing our country to look like the country that they left.

Old 06-06-2010, 04:19 PM

4,792 posts, read 5,901,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Yes, I believe it is time to change this. Enough is enough this has been going on for years now. The Cubans have managed to turn Miami and other Florida cities into little Havana. I am tired of foreigners changing our country to look like the country that they left.
Unless, of course, they are making improvements. I would be happy to see a Wal Mart knocked down and replaced with Harrods.

Old 06-06-2010, 06:57 PM

3,854 posts, read 4,835,857 times
Miami, named after the native Floridians. La Florida, named for the flora found by the First explorers. An Havana is a scant 90 miles away...Sorry Miami is not another "Pligram-town".

Old 06-06-2010, 07:55 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,318,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post
Miami, named after the native Floridians. La Florida, named for the flora found by the First explorers. An Havana is a scant 90 miles away...Sorry Miami is not another "Pligram-town".
Yes, I am sorry about that also. It doesn't resemble the U.S. anymore but Cuba instead.

Old 06-06-2010, 10:39 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,933,813 times
My understanding is even if there was no wet foot/dry foot law in place, wouldn't Cubans be eligible for asylum anyway, since it is an oppressive government in Cuba and since they are next to us, under UN conventions they are eligible to come here since we can be considered the first safe country to cross into? Though the one thing I am against is, foreigners trying to change the US into their home country. It's the US, you want to try so hard to change your community into a little Cuba or little China, go back to where you came from!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy Anne View Post
Unless, of course, they are making improvements. I would be happy to see a Wal Mart knocked down and replaced with Harrods.
And to appease the "tolerant liberals" for the sake of political correctness, I'm gonna have to say no to Harrods (it sounds oddly British)

Old 06-06-2010, 11:25 PM

1,928 posts, read 3,645,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
My understanding is even if there was no wet foot/dry foot law in place, wouldn't Cubans be eligible for asylum anyway, since it is an oppressive government in Cuba and since they are next to us, under UN conventions they are eligible to come here since we can be considered the first safe country to cross into? Though the one thing I am against is, foreigners trying to change the US into their home country. It's the US, you want to try so hard to change your community into a little Cuba or little China, go back to where you came from!

Until 1995 the Cubans were allowed in unless it could be proven they were criminals. Of course that didn't help when Castro sent all the criminals over in the Mariel boatlift.

But anyway, they could come and stay even if they were picked up at sea. After Wet Foot/Dry Foot, they now have to touch "land" to stay. Even then, with family there some have been allowed to stay.

Any person from a communist or oppresive country can apply for asylum. They have to have proof they are in danger or are fleeing for political reasons. Only the Cubans were given preferred status.

Old 06-07-2010, 02:31 AM

6,612 posts, read 12,841,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
And to appease the "tolerant liberals" for the sake of political correctness, I'm gonna have to say no to Harrods (it sounds oddly British)
Harrods is owned by arabs now anyway so the point's moot

Old 06-07-2010, 03:48 AM

1,309 posts, read 1,362,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post

We need to treat illegal immigrants just like any other illegal items.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration