Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 05:22 PM

202 posts, read 715,372 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgresident View Post
You might want to look at some of the very far west suburbs of chicago. Once you get west of Route 47, the area gets more rural. Check out elburn, sugar grove, kaneville, maple park, cortland, sycamore, dekalb, big rock, hinckley, paw paw, shabonna. you are far enough west, yet close enough to some shopping, and can typically hop on I88 to get to chicago.

I second the Maple Park, Elburn area. 10-20 min. to good shopping. Metra trains to Chicago. Good schools. Nice, quiet rural/semi-rural area. Have lived in the area for 8 yrs. and love the quiet relaxing surroundings out here - yet are close enough to good shopping, doctors, hospitals, etc.

Check it out!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2010, 03:17 PM

6 posts, read 16,709 times
Minooka, Morris, Channahon, Elburn = Great, safe places, for families with a nice variety of people in IL that are all within an hour of Chicago (by Driving).

Lake Geneva, Twin Lakes, Kenosha = Very nice and safe places for families in Wisconsin. All roughly 1-1.5 hours from downtown Chicago.

I live in Lake Geneva now and I lived in Minooka for 15 years (I'm only 21). MY family is all from that area and its very nice.

Old 09-28-2010, 10:27 PM

43 posts, read 74,358 times
we also have belvidere and poplar grove but if jobs are an issue you gotta be flexible i have been looking for work over a year
belvidere is growing it is and was a farm town rockford is 25 min west of us down 20.belvidere has 3 20's lol
poplar grove is even small but by wi border as well as caledonia capron all within 2 hours of chicago
schools in belvidere are good caledonia has a great elmentry my brothers go to belvidere north and both loved it i went to belvidere proper and loved it

Old 09-29-2010, 06:50 AM

7 posts, read 14,963 times
You might consider Lake Bluff - it's a small village of 6,000 but has a small beach and great schools. There is a very nice community spirit here and it's very safe.

Galena IL gets my vote!!! The schools are great and the atmosphere is wonderful. Not to mention the people. You will never find better eating establishments in any other small town anywhere.

Employment is still available in Dubuque (15 minutes away) and has a Target when you want one.
Although, I agee with sgresident, the housing is much less out here in Jo Daviess County.

You might want to look at some of the very far west suburbs of chicago. Once you get west of Route 47, the area gets more rural. Check out elburn, sugar grove, kaneville, maple park, cortland, sycamore, dekalb, big rock, hinckley, paw paw, shabonna. you are far enough west, yet close enough to some shopping, and can typically hop on I88 to get to chicago.

I've enjoyed both Galena, IL (NW corner of the state) and Chatham, IL (near Springfield). Chatham has good school, all of the amenities of being near Springfield, and it's just a short drive from St. Louis. Rochester, IL (also near Springfield) is about the same as Chatham only smaller.

all these different places...what are the rents like for a typical 3 bedroom house? or even a trailer? im disabled with 3 kids and am trying to move back to illinois from kansas.

Old 09-29-2010, 09:37 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,264,657 times
OP mentioned in Chicago Suburbs forum that she has 3 kids, a budget of $300-600 and is looking for safe and decent schools. She has relatives from SW burbs up to Antioch and would like to be within a weekend trip distance.

Old 10-28-2010, 06:46 PM

3 posts, read 9,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
You might like Havana, IL. It's a river town that offers golf, bowling, riverfront park with boat launch. covered picnic areas, play ground, pool, adequate shopping for most needs, hospital/ with life flight, doctors, EMT, library, gas stations, movie theater, movie rental, better than average city servuces, solid Internet connection and nature.

Havana is in the heart of the largest inland wetlands in America. The nearest 'big town' is bout 30 miles. It is 50' miles from Springfield, Beoria or Bloomington-Normal.

School is k-12 (no busing) and a 2 yr community college; In this area you will find 3 universities and and half-doxen m/l 4- year colleges plus several trade schools. I know the school superintendent. The kids who have parentents involved with the schools and at home with their children do get a very decent education.

Havana is 2.5 -3 hours from Chicago or St. Louis. You can fky, drive or take a train or use private transportation that costs about the same as the trail round-trip.

You can find 7 or 8 churches, restaurants, grocres, pharmacies, bars, auto dealer, auto repair, auto parts store, small engine repair, hardware and lunber, motels, campling, and a liquor store.
In this particular area there are a lot of family events, lakes and things to do from small to national events. It is very rural with corn and soybeen fields and ranches, but if you don't mind driving 45 minutes you can 5 Malls, a dozen shopping centers and a 10,000 acre park district, 3 zoos, waterparks, and things for kids of all ages.

You cannot escape crime, thugs or drugs, but it is neither major nor out of control. It is the seat of Mason County and as such it is reasonably peaceful 95% of the time. It is also adjunct to the Mississippi Flyway which offers plenty of opportunity to view several species of birds and wildlilfe.
My parents lived here for a number of years. so I am familiar with the area.

The economy is lousy all over Illinois, and even more so in rural areas, but you can get a good deal on houses, and both couny and state services are within 5 minutes of downtown. You'll see more traffic and people at the annual Oktoberfest than you do all year. It is a family town I would move to with children, in a heartbeat. I heven't met anyone who cannot manage the English language.
Looking to move to macomb,IL do you have any info
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois