Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2018, 01:04 PM

5 posts, read 6,324 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone!
I am the mom of a kiddo - born in DTChi . We moved to LA a few years ago and he attends a gifted school here which is awesome! We have decided to move back to Chi for family reasons and are having a really hard time deciding if we should apply to private schools downtown and live in Lincoln Park or move to Hinsdale with its academically good but really rundown high school. Does anyone have any thoughts about city private vs. suburb public in general and/or for gifted kiddos?
Thank you, kindly!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2018, 01:43 PM

529 posts, read 647,987 times
The decrepit and rickety Hinsdale Central is nowhere for your gifted kiddo to be attending.

Living in an upscale and very progressive neighborhood like Lincoln Park within such a diverse city and attending an elite Private school seems the only option.

Old 11-29-2018, 02:37 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,920,834 times
except hinsdale central usually ranks in the top 10 schools in the ENTIRE STATE...

Old 11-29-2018, 03:58 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,254,863 times
Compare the actual schools/programs and faculty/staff in question. Some of the private schools in the city won’t necessarily be as desirable.

You may get more house for the same money in Hinsdale. And at least your property tax money in Hinsdale isn’t like throwing it into a hole like Chicago.

Old 11-29-2018, 10:24 PM

3,208 posts, read 3,553,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimama3 View Post
Hello Everyone!
I am the mom of a kiddo - born in DTChi . We moved to LA a few years ago and he attends a gifted school here which is awesome! We have decided to move back to Chi for family reasons and are having a really hard time deciding if we should apply to private schools downtown and live in Lincoln Park or move to Hinsdale with its academically good but really rundown high school. Does anyone have any thoughts about city private vs. suburb public in general and/or for gifted kiddos?
Thank you, kindly!
Why Hinsdale? Also, if it were my child, I'd go with Avery Coonley and a prep school over Hinsdale publics if I wanted to live in the SW suburbs. The elite urban private schools like Parker, Latin, the Labs, Waldorf, Lyceé, etc. are going to offer a very different experience from suburban public schools.

Old 11-30-2018, 08:30 AM

4,011 posts, read 4,254,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
Why Hinsdale? Also, if it were my child, I'd go with Avery Coonley and a prep school over Hinsdale publics if I wanted to live in the SW suburbs. The elite urban private schools like Parker, Latin, the Labs, Waldorf, Lyceé, etc. are going to offer a very different experience from suburban public schools.

Yeah, that's a good question as well. Why limit to Hinsdale when there are so many other great places to live/put your kids in school around Chicagoland? That alone is problematic IMNSHO, unless this is only for locating by family in that suburb, etc.

Regarding throwing them in Lycee, etc., I think you would agree that it truly depends on the child and family in question. I have friends who have pulled their child out of such schools for various reasons, with others transferring in from public schools (after moving to the city) and thriving. YMMV.

Old 11-30-2018, 08:39 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,693,010 times
You will much prefer living in Lincoln Park and having your kid go to a top private High School. Honestly, I wouldn't bother moving back unless it was to the City.

Old 11-30-2018, 01:53 PM

Thank you, all! So, a little more detail- we actually have 3 kiddos and all are in a gifted school. We considered Hinsdale bc my husband grew up in the western suburbs and feels Hinsdale Central is an amazing school. I came to Chicago and visited both Latin and HC- I couldn't get a handle on HC as well. I asked the admin where kiddos matriculated to, any ivy league in the last few years and she immediately said no. Kids went to state colleges and a few others but ivy league was not on their radar. Contrast this to private school and there were 20-30% who went to top 10 colleges/universities in the country. I don't deny- ivy league graduates aren't automatically amazing people- my beautiful husband and I did not go to one!- but I would like at least the option?

We are thinking Hinsdale also bc of HC's ranking, more bang for our buck in terms of house, safety and its far enough/close enough to family to keep me sane . My older son would only attend a school like Avery Coonley for 1-2 years before high school so we are thinking to live in an area where the high school is close, too. Are there any college prep schools in the western suburbs that you guys have positive feelings about?

I appreciate all your help!!

Old 11-30-2018, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by damba View Post
compare the actual schools/programs and faculty/staff in question. Some of the private schools in the city won’t necessarily be as desirable.

You may get more house for the same money in hinsdale. And at least your property tax money in hinsdale isn’t like throwing it into a hole like chicago.

so true!!

Old 11-30-2018, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
You will much prefer living in Lincoln Park and having your kid go to a top private High School. Honestly, I wouldn't bother moving back unless it was to the City.
Do you think living in quiet suburbs might be better than city living? for kiddos- 7,9,11? They love their basketball net in front yard at our current house!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois