Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 04:07 PM

269 posts, read 1,100,801 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank the Tank View Post
I've been to Peoria and I'm sure that it's a perfectly fine place to live for many people while having an economic impact with the presence of Cat. However, I just wouldn't put Peoria on a list of places that an out-of-state visitor would find to be a vastly unique place compared to other towns that are of a similar size. Even the old line about "How will it play in Peoria?" for marketing and politics is a reference to how the town is a representative of average and middle-of-the-road America. This sincerely isn't a knock on the place - living in a place that's a tourist attraction doesn't necessarily equate to a great quality of life, either. I've been fortunate to travel to a lot of places due to my family's penchant for road trips while I was growing up, so saying that a place is merely "nice" is a whole lot different than calling a place "unique".
You misuderstood what I said. You stated that really outside of Chicago there wasn't any other place that tourists would be interested in, besides Galena or Springfield, in downstate Illinois. That is simply untrue and rather on the ignorant side. Now I am not about to try and argue that nationally Peoria's history is more of an attraction for tourists than Springfield's. But Galena? Come on! I understand that for you Chicagons, Galena has become this sacred place, free from the ills of Chicago. We all get that. But I doubt Galena experiences anywhere close to the amount of tourism that all of the stunning natural beauty of extreme southern Illinois. At least the ones that 'The Idiot ' didn't shut down!

If someone really wanted to understand what it means to be an Illinoisian, and experience a true midwestern lifestyle, than Peoria would be that. If you think that Iowa City, Cedar Rapids, Davenport, Bettendorf, Council Bluffs, or Waterloo can out-do Peoria at anything, than I would seriously like to see how in the world you could substantiate that claim. I mean, my gosh, Peoria (the city proper) is on the smaller end in terms of population, when compared to even other Illinois cities. But that doesn't make it any less of what it is. The Peoria market is hot right now for tourism. That is why you see things like this popping up around town:

Build the Block

East Peoria / Downtown 2010 (http://www.eastpeoria2010.com/new.asp - broken link)

Downtown hotel project 'the answer,' some say - Peoria, IL - pjstar.com

Get Behind the Zoo! Expansion (http://www.getbehindthezoo.org/site/home.html - broken link)

Maybe when it warms up you should come visit again. For the city of our size, we offer a great deal to the community, and we don't pay outrageous taxes for them. You clearly were just passing through the last time...

Old 12-18-2008, 04:14 PM

8,290 posts, read 23,120,137 times
If you get bored in Chicago instead of going south just come up to Wisconsin with the rest of Chicago on the weekends. See Wisconsin Dells and Door County!!! but as soon as you cross the state border into Wisconsin slow down to 70mph because the police target ILL drivers!!!

Old 12-18-2008, 04:16 PM

269 posts, read 1,100,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
If you get bored in Chicago instead of going south just come up to Wisconsin with the rest of Chicago on the weekends. See Wisconsin Dells and Door County!!! but as soon as you cross the state border into Wisconsin slow down to 70mph because the police target ILL drivers!!!
You say that as if Chicago doesn't already flock to Wisconsin every weekend. By the way, I never quite understood the whole Door County thing, and the Dells still boggle my mind!!

Old 12-18-2008, 08:46 PM

4,229 posts, read 17,615,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUalumni View Post
You say that as if Chicago doesn't already flock to Wisconsin every weekend. By the way, I never quite understood the whole Door County thing, and the Dells still boggle my mind!!
The Dells is really nothing. Door County has natural beauty. That's why y'all come up here. Can't forget about Bayfield and Minocqua et cetera.

Any ways back to IL. I agree IL doesn't focus enough on the southern portion of the state when it comes to advertising.

Old 12-18-2008, 09:46 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,632,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihynes View Post
...the architectural diversity of Quincy, which includes pre-Civil War buildings that Chicago cannot boast of....
Well that is because of course most buildings in the city limits (the limits at that time) burned in the fire.

I still think there are more pre-civil war buildings in the present Chicago city limits than Quincy however.

Last edited by Avengerfire; 12-18-2008 at 10:01 PM..

Old 12-18-2008, 09:59 PM

8,290 posts, read 23,120,137 times
I actually hate going to the dells or door county and I'm from Milwaukee. I'd rather go to florida.

Old 12-18-2008, 10:13 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,836,883 times
Check out this site:
A Complete Guide to Southwest Illinois Attractions

Those are just the attractions on the Metro East (Illinois) side of St. Louis metro.

Old 12-19-2008, 08:52 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,410,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUalumni View Post
The Dells, yeah, its a tourist trap with some nice scenery here and there. But the Door Peninsula is amazing, how could you NOT see attraction there? Peaceful farms, vinyards, wineries, Lake Michigan and Green Bay, sailing, fishing, camping, hiking, sand dunes, beaches, picture-perfect towns, incredible restaurants, gorgeous state parks, hills and bluffs, etc, etc, etc. Door County is the Cape Cod of the Midwest and an incredibly beautiful and peaceful place.

Old 12-19-2008, 08:56 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,410,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
You'll find in Illinois everything you find in every state, including Alaska.
I didnt know IL had endless mountain ranges (including the tallest mountains in the US), fjords, glaciers, black bear, elk, etc.

Old 12-19-2008, 09:14 AM

15,586 posts, read 27,632,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
I didnt know IL had endless mountain ranges (including the tallest mountains in the US), fjords, glaciers, black bear, elk, etc.
As long as we have a bunch of Sarah Palin look alikes that is all I care about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois