Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 09:25 PM

4,085 posts, read 4,335,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccjarider View Post
I cannot tell you how many times when I have said I am from Wisconsin - the followup question is something like "Where is that - Europe?"
Yikes
Wow #2

Old 01-04-2011, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd10 View Post
I am a Native of Carbondale and I have been living in Los Angeles CA for almost 30 years. It is funny that all the Chicago natives here in California dont know where Carbondale Illinois is they think it is suburb. The rest of the world seems to think that everybody from Illinois is from Chicago and East St Louis is not in Illinois and a world of its own. Growing up in Carbondale is unique because of the diversity I really get tired of people from Chicago and St Louis calling Southern Illinois Country there seems to be a label either you are from the country or a city slicker, after living in Los Angeles everything east of the rockies seems country to me. I love Illinois but it is impossible to make a livng there and for $15 an hour you can live like a king, that is poverty level in Southern California you can make that working at the local Wal Mart. The stress of living in Los Angeles is great and everything seems to revolve around money. Everyday I wake up I somebody is digging in my pocket and it took me years to adjust to this concept. There is no way to live cheap here unless you stay in a cardboard box public housing is almost non existent . I look forward to the day I retire from my job so I can kiss Los Angeles goodbye. Everybody wants to come here for what reason I dont know and all the native Californian's who left here never came back because they realaize that life is more peaceful in the other 49 states. My girlfriend Is a native of Los Angeles and she love visiting southern Illnois anything is better than living here where they think living in a 3 Bedroom Apartment is golden. The San Francisco Bay area is far worse I dont see why anybody would want to live there. To me the Golden State is not so Golden. I think we should give California back to Mexico the state is 52% hispanic soon i will have to learn spanish in order to survive.
What is the point of this thread? To provoke an argument with Chicagoans,St. Louisians,Californians,and East Coasters? Thread fail.

Old 01-05-2011, 06:45 AM

4,112 posts, read 9,066,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonythetuna View Post
What is the point of this thread? To provoke an argument with Chicagoans,St. Louisians,Californians,and East Coasters? Thread fail.
New Guy,

You signed up for this website two months ago. You are ANYTHING but a moderator. Please stop trying to act like one. Thanks.

Since you are possibly our newest regular, you might not be aware that this can be annoying. It is though.

Last edited by urza216; 01-05-2011 at 08:00 AM..

Old 01-05-2011, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Your comments about making a living in IL are ridiculous. And no, for $15 you cant live like a king anywhere in this state. Some areas $15 might be decent where you can afford a small place of your own, but $15 an hour in the suburbs? Are you kidding me?!?! Youd be practically living on the streets. At one point my wife and I BOTH were making around $15 an hour, and combined we could afford a small, one bedroom apartment in Naperville, 2 used cars, and we didnt have much money after all utilities, etc, were paid.
I guess you fully understand the need for government assistance programs then, huh? The minimum wage in Illinois is $8.25 an hour.

I don't know about Naperville but Richton Park has one bedroom apartments for less than $600/month. Apartments in the suburbs are usually cheaper than any decent city neighborhood. If I earned 15 bucks an hour, I'd break out the champagne and celebrate the GOOD MONEY I'm making now..

For the record, I'm only 24 years old.

Last edited by urza216; 01-05-2011 at 08:24 AM..

Old 01-07-2011, 12:26 AM

16 posts, read 40,637 times
I'm from Carbondale and have since lived in many different parts of the country. Yes when they hear Illinois 90% of them think Chicago. I just started saying I'm from IL near St Louis. Definitely got me a warmer reception down south.

Old 01-07-2011, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
New Guy,

You signed up for this website two months ago. You are ANYTHING but a moderator. Please stop trying to act like one. Thanks.

Since you are possibly our newest regular, you might not be aware that this can be annoying. It is though.
Hey there buddy. Maybe you should scale back on your personal attacks. They may get you in trouble someday. You do not own this forum and you are not a moderator either.

Last edited by tonythetuna; 01-07-2011 at 01:48 AM..

Old 01-07-2011, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Hey there buddy. Maybe you should scale back on your personal attacks. They may get you in trouble someday. You do not own this forum and you are not a moderator either.
A personal attack would be if I talked about your mother. I have done nothing of the sort.

Old 01-07-2011, 07:17 PM

Quote:
A personal attack would be if I talked about your mother. I have done nothing of the sort.
You will not bully me.

Old 01-07-2011, 11:56 PM

Quote:
You will not bully me.
The boy who cried wolf was eaten alive, if I recall correctly.

I've never bullied you and you're right, I won't ever in the future either.

Last edited by urza216; 01-08-2011 at 12:23 AM..

Old 01-08-2011, 01:49 AM

Quote:
The boy who cried wolf was eaten alive, if I recall correctly.
Who was that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois