Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2008, 06:04 PM

3,645 posts, read 4,926,999 times

Advertisements

Are Latinos a threat to the U.S.?

Growing up in Orange and Los Angeles Counties, Leo Chavez never felt less than fully American... But over the past few decades, Chavez, a 57-year-old anthropology professor at UC Irvine, has watched with alarm as portrayal of Latinos has pervaded popular culture and seeped into political discourse... When I grew up Latino immigrants were only about 15 percent of the population. It's been a major transformation in my lifetime. When I grew up, most Latinos pretty much were speaking English. Orange County -- [when I was in college] probably 80 percent of Santa Ana was Anglo. Now it's 80 percent Latino.

This was what I was always afraid was going to happen when the sleeping giant was awakened. I am Hispanic and was born in this country, as were my parents and the family I know of. I am not saying anyone is wrong for feeling the way they do about being against illegal immigration. I am also against illegal immigration and I want them all deported post haste. I also believe that English should be the Official Language of our country and that not one iota of governmental business, state and federal, should be conducted in anything but English. What is going to happen when this simmering cauldron finally breaks and it all boils over? Will there be race and ethnicity killings and such as that? I pray not but the damn illegals have brought this on the law abiding Hispanic citizens who have nothing to do with the illegals or the people who seem to be all for them and open borders.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2008, 06:16 PM

1,818 posts, read 3,094,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous Political Junky View Post
Are Latinos a threat to the U.S.?

Growing up in Orange and Los Angeles Counties, Leo Chavez never felt less than fully American... But over the past few decades, Chavez, a 57-year-old anthropology professor at UC Irvine, has watched with alarm as portrayal of Latinos has pervaded popular culture and seeped into political discourse... When I grew up Latino immigrants were only about 15 percent of the population. It's been a major transformation in my lifetime. When I grew up, most Latinos pretty much were speaking English. Orange County -- [when I was in college] probably 80 percent of Santa Ana was Anglo. Now it's 80 percent Latino.

This was what I was always afraid was going to happen when the sleeping giant was awakened. I am Hispanic and was born in this country, as were my parents and the family I know of. I am not saying anyone is wrong for feeling the way they do about being against illegal immigration. I am also against illegal immigration and I want them all deported post haste. I also believe that English should be the Official Language of our country and that not one iota of governmental business, state and federal, should be conducted in anything but English. What is going to happen when this simmering cauldron finally breaks and it all boils over? Will there be race and ethnicity killings and such as that? I pray not but the damn illegals have brought this on the law abiding Hispanic citizens who have nothing to do with the illegals or the people who seem to be all for them and open borders.
Did you read the entire post you posted? He did not talk like he was an anti-illegal.

Old 07-26-2008, 06:21 PM

2,735 posts, read 6,737,222 times
By the sounds of it, Chavez does sound happy about the outcome. I can't say as I blame him. I mean if I moved to a foreign country and was a minority, then my whole country started moving in and we took over, I'd probably be pretty happy too.

Scary statistics for sure.

Old 07-26-2008, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassyone View Post
Did you read the entire post you posted? He did not talk like he was an anti-illegal.
I didn't say that he was anti-illegal. Did you read my post? I posted that because of the fact that so many Hispanics in our country wish to see it become Mexico and not stay American, as it once was.

Old 07-26-2008, 06:46 PM

Yes, I read your post and maybe read it wrong/ sorry.

Old 07-26-2008, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassyone View Post
Yes, I read your post and maybe read it wrong/ sorry.
No problem. There is no reason why we can't be decent to each other even though we see things differently when it comes to the illegals. Thank you for.

Old 07-26-2008, 07:28 PM

Quote:
No problem. There is no reason why we can't be decent to each other even though we see things differently when it comes to the illegals. Thank you for.
I totally agree

Old 07-26-2008, 07:36 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,754,031 times
Quote:
I didn't say that he was anti-illegal. Did you read my post? I posted that because of the fact that so many Hispanics in our country wish to see it become Mexico and not stay American, as it once was.
Most Hispanics ARE American.

Old 07-26-2008, 08:29 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
I see a big difference between Americans with Spanish or Spanish-Indian ancestry whose roots in this country are deep, and the newcomers from Mexico. Culturally there's a difference.

The hate-the-USA group is not the one that has been here long, the "hispanics" who were here in what is now the SW USA when it joined with the USA never griped about that, they became Americans, they did not protest to be given back to Mexico.

The problem is, the American-hispanics have now become outnumbered by the newcomers who retain their allegience to Mexico but most of the American-hispanics are as pro-America as any of the rest of us.

Old 07-26-2008, 08:53 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,754,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I see a big difference between Americans with Spanish or Spanish-Indian ancestry whose roots in this country are deep, and the newcomers from Mexico. Culturally there's a difference.

The hate-the-USA group is not the one that has been here long, the "hispanics" who were here in what is now the SW USA when it joined with the USA never griped about that, they became Americans, they did not protest to be given back to Mexico.

The problem is, the American-hispanics have now become outnumbered by the newcomers who retain their allegience to Mexico but most of the American-hispanics are as pro-America as any of the rest of us.
You dont know what youre talking about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration