Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2011, 08:59 AM

3,892 posts, read 5,515,157 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msamhunter View Post
Every state is mostly agricultural, that's how you get your food. I've heard all of the Pacific NW is very lovely and that's all fine and dandy; it's a big country so there's a place for everyone whether it be Indiana, LA or Seattle.

I don't really mind the boosterism of Broad. He's young and enthusiastic which I feel all cities need. NYC wouldn't have become what it is today if there weren't people like Broad doing what it takes for NYC to grow like it did. Honestly Indy could use more of it as a lot of hoosiers love to complain (which they do everywhere) as it's in the perfect location. The city should be a logistics juggernaut sans Chicago because of the Lake and access to the St. Lawrence Seaway but it's not partly I feel due to there being too many people being happy being invisible. You don't attract jobs being invisible and you don't keep them here by doing whatever it takes not to grow and stay stagnant and in some cases go backwards. So I applaud Broad for his enthusiasm regarding the city. He isn't as old as some of us and less set in his ways and far less complacent. All cities need that young blood to keep moving forward so I say kudos.

Taxes are taxes are taxes. No Income tax, property tax caps in the end doesn't matter, they will get it in one form or another which is fine especially when it's stuff the citizens need and/or want to help maintain a healthy quality of life.
thanks
And yes so true i hear it everyday.
Why isn't Indy this and that bla bla bla people don't know when to stop complaining
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2011, 10:15 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
Do your research on prop 13 ... While the initial effect was positive ... The negatives have come to the top in the last decade.

The piper will be paid no matter what.
Prop 13 only sets the Statewide Property Tax at 1%... in many cases the tax paid is much higher when you add local property tax to the mix... in my case, my tax rate is exactly 2% of my current market value...

Prop 13 has been altered already... instead of 2/3 voter approval for school infrastructure only 55% approval is required.

Prop 13 has been a blessing for keeping taxes predictable and requiring voter approval for additional assessments.

Washington State has no such protection... it did and was called I-747 passed by the voters... it was overturned in court and property taxes sky-rocketed... I posted extensively about an 80% tax increase immediately after the Prop 13 like law was overturned...

Old 10-30-2011, 09:39 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,734,665 times
Robbing Peter to pay Paul does nothing for longterm economic gain ...

Old 10-30-2011, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
Robbing Peter to pay Paul does nothing for longterm economic gain ...
Thank you!
Agreed 100000000%
Always hate hearing this crap why don't the rich pay more in taxes? lol the rich already pay more taxes than anyone and half of working america doesn't pay taxes.
Hence why i support herman Cains extremely simple 9/9/9 plan or any flat rate tax plan.
Its simple its fair theres no need to get a college education to understand it.

Old 10-30-2011, 11:06 AM

104 posts, read 412,012 times
I left Indy for Colorado back in 1995. Somethings from Indiana I do miss like taking a drive down to Bloomington or going to Broad Ripple to hang out. But I love living near the mountains and Colorado has a kind of laid back mindset though.

I also can see why missing Indiana being in Rhode Island. I know Rhode Island is deep East Coast state and like the rest of the NE, very fast paced and very formal compared to Indiana.

Old 10-30-2011, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coredneck View Post
I left Indy for Colorado back in 1995. Somethings from Indiana I do miss like taking a drive down to Bloomington or going to Broad Ripple to hang out. But I love living near the mountains and Colorado has a kind of laid back mindset though.

I also can see why missing Indiana being in Rhode Island. I know Rhode Island is deep East Coast state and like the rest of the NE, very fast paced and very formal compared to Indiana.
don't the mountains get boring after seeing them every day?
That is why i like visiting the mountains but not living near them.
Cause each time i got on a vacation it keeps them interesting.
Same thing with an Ocean etc.
Although Lake Michigan is a great ocean substitute that you can drink the water from!

Old 10-30-2011, 11:33 AM

6 posts, read 9,220 times
Definately Ft. Wayne!!!!;D

Old 10-31-2011, 02:34 AM

1,712 posts, read 3,079,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
don't the mountains get boring after seeing them every day?
That is why i like visiting the mountains but not living near them.
Cause each time i got on a vacation it keeps them interesting.
Same thing with an Ocean etc.
Although Lake Michigan is a great ocean substitute that you can drink the water from!
Leaving near the mountains opens up a lot more outdoor recreation, if you like trees/forest type recreation. A few years back there was an article about the brain drain and Indy loosing people. They interviewed someone with a mountain bike/hiking outdoor group. She said that most of the younger couples she knew that left were heading to Denver. They liked the smaller metro areas, but weren't happy with the Indy metro area because there is only so much hiking/woods recreation. If you're willing to drive two hours from Indy to hit outdoor stuff, that means even more possibilities when you out closer the mountains.

Old 10-31-2011, 09:13 AM

17 posts, read 42,903 times
I apparently didn't make myself clear the first time. I've been to every single one of those place/events you listed multiple times. I "got out of the house" all the time. I'm actually a wildlife biology major from..wait wait.. Purdue and finished my schooling at Humbolt State University in Arcata, CA. I recently only moved to Austin after getting out of the military because I have my parents here and could only find a job here. So, never did I say Austin, or Texas in general was so much better than Indiana. Actually I'd rather live in Indiana than Texas. Its brown and hotter than hell. I don't claim Texas whatsoever and am waiting for the day I can move back to the Pacific Northwest. So, spending my childhood camping, fishing, hiking, swimming, and going to all the parties at PU and IU and the indy 500 and the little 500, I think I am qualified to compare the other 15 places and countries I've lived or been to against Indiana. and Indiana usually loses! Not to mention my mother works for Butler and lives in that area and my best friends lives in Broad Ripple so yes, I have been to the 4 blocks of bars and "artsy" shops that they call Broad Ripple. Not a bad little area but still like I said, in comparison to other places, its a joke. Even though I don't like Austin all that much I think 6th st and south congress are better as 2 streets than the whole entire state of Indiana's nightlife

Old 10-31-2011, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshprice32000 View Post
I apparently didn't make myself clear the first time. I've been to every single one of those place/events you listed multiple times. I "got out of the house" all the time. I'm actually a wildlife biology major from..wait wait.. Purdue and finished my schooling at Humbolt State University in Arcata, CA. I recently only moved to Austin after getting out of the military because I have my parents here and could only find a job here. So, never did I say Austin, or Texas in general was so much better than Indiana. Actually I'd rather live in Indiana than Texas. Its brown and hotter than hell. I don't claim Texas whatsoever and am waiting for the day I can move back to the Pacific Northwest. So, spending my childhood camping, fishing, hiking, swimming, and going to all the parties at PU and IU and the indy 500 and the little 500, I think I am qualified to compare the other 15 places and countries I've lived or been to against Indiana. and Indiana usually loses! Not to mention my mother works for Butler and lives in that area and my best friends lives in Broad Ripple so yes, I have been to the 4 blocks of bars and "artsy" shops that they call Broad Ripple. Not a bad little area but still like I said, in comparison to other places, its a joke. Even though I don't like Austin all that much I think 6th st and south congress are better as 2 streets than the whole entire state of Indiana's nightlife
Then you need to live in Indianapolis for 3 years.
Obiviously you haven't lived there ever or in the past 10-20 years.
Indy has changed alot since then. we have Broad Ripple and Mass. Ave and Downtown for nightlife.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana