Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 06:24 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,731,146 times

Advertisements

my theme song for today:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOYus1BE7jk

if you don't like it ... leave ... yea, that's a great thing to say.

Old 02-18-2011, 07:31 AM

6,485 posts, read 12,535,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
my theme song for today:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOYus1BE7jk

if you don't like it ... leave ...
I think that's just what a lot of Wisconsin's Democrat legislators did to scuttle the void to eliminate collective bargaining for state workers, no??

Old 02-18-2011, 07:45 AM

I don't know how anyone could've expected anything different from nutjobs like Bosma and Delph. Between those two idiots and Mr. Bad Toupee from South Bend in the leadership, Indiana has to have the biggest joke of a legislature in the country.

But before we relegate Indiana to backwater status, let's remember some of the states that have already constitutionally outlawed gay marriage -- California and Oregon (two supposedly liberal states), as well as our neighbors Michigan and Ohio. Only 5 states allow gay marriage, and one of those -- Iowa -- is probably on track to repeal it. As others have stated, the process in Indiana is a long one. It may die altogether. More likely, I think, is that the measure will be modified to ensure that companies are not prohibited from offering domestic partner benefits, and other issues such as inheritance and medical decisions may be addressed.

As for abortion, this is not necessarily a Democrat v. Republican or left v. right issue. In the supposedly liberal northeast, Catholicism is arguably the dominant Christian denomination, and Catholics are among the most staunch abortion opponents.

I would agree, however, that we have more important issues with which to deal than the three mentioned by the OP.

Old 02-18-2011, 08:05 AM

sorry ... my comment about leaving the state was in reference to CleoT's status quo statement about us just taking what the state leg is forcing down our throats. I stand by my brothers and sisters in the Wisconsin statehouse ... stay in Illinois!!!! I remember when Texas did this ...

I'll go ahead and say that Indiana will never ever ever ever ever ever recognize same sex unions EVER. I can live with it .. don't like it, but I can live with it. But this anti-choice malarky is truly insane.

But it does look like the arizona style immigration law is going to be ripped to shreds, by the GOP.

Old 02-18-2011, 08:20 AM

Quote:
But it does look like the arizona style immigration law is going to be ripped to shreds, by the GOP.
Of course, because the corporate masters who line their pockets don't want to be held accountable for employing cheap, illegal labor.

Old 02-18-2011, 08:26 AM

Quote:
But this anti-choice malarky is truly insane.
Roe v. Wade ensures that Indiana cannot completely outlaw abortion, but the Missouri decision does allow states to apply limits. It does seem unwise to eliminate funding altogether for Planned Parenthood as that organization also offers legitimate family planning services. But the entire political right is caught up in a contradiction -- it wants to outlaw abortion, but it also seems to want to contract funding for the social services that would be necessarily to care for these additional lives, and it largely adheres to the ridiculous policy of abstinence-only sex education.

Old 02-18-2011, 11:11 AM

When I was a po college student, the services at PP kept me healthy and informed.

I'm convinced that Roe will be overturned in the next decade. The court is stacked as such. My hope is that the justices refuse to hear any challenges and keep it as a state issue.

Old 02-18-2011, 11:45 AM

Quote:
When I was a po college student, the services at PP kept me healthy and informed.

I'm convinced that Roe will be overturned in the next decade. The court is stacked as such. My hope is that the justices refuse to hear any challenges and keep it as a state issue.
Actually, overturning Roe would make it totally a state issue. But truth be told, I don't doubt that most states would outlaw abortion with very few exceptions.

Old 02-18-2011, 12:19 PM

512 posts, read 861,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wh15395 View Post
What I mean is that most of the highly educated people in our country want diversity in their communities and don't like social legislation that restricts people's rights. It's because of this reason that most of the highly skilled students that graduate from Indiana colleges end up moving to places on the East and West coasts. Businesses won't want to relocate to a place that highly skilled workers don't want to live in.
You're assuming highly educated people feel this way, and that a bunch of kicks rule this state. That's not the case at all, but you're pulling from a stereotype, so I guess you'll continue to be misinformed.

Old 02-18-2011, 12:30 PM

512 posts, read 861,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
Interesting. If you don't like it leave, that attitude won't change anyone's perception of Indiana.

Tell me why we need to add a constitutional ban on gay marriage in this state. I am listening.
I never said if you don't like it leave. I purposely stated, and meant to say, that we are lucky to have the freedoms we do have. I was pointing out one of the vastly ways we are free to make choices. So please read carefully before you respond.

I don't believe in gay marriage. I don't believe in abortion. I have my reasons for both, which I'm not going to post for you or anyone else to bash. I believe one way and you believe another. I have never bashed you or anyone else for holding onto their beliefs. I won't, however, allow someone to put words into my mouth or assume I'm a bigoted RINO because I have certain personal beliefs.

I'll tell you what's interesting. I posed a question about issues being black and white, which is a better debate than "the other guys are stupid hicks" and this is what you and others jump on. Interesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana