Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 11:15 AM

44 posts, read 58,160 times

Advertisements

hey i am thinking about moving south. I currently live in Michigan and would like a more mild climate. However I need the big city amenities without the big city being in my backyard. I want to live about an hour away from the city. In a smaller scenic town. I've narrowed my search down to Kentucky, Virginia, Indiana, and Tennessee. Where should I move?

Extra, it has to be in a scenic region with inland lakes, for water sports and fishing, Thanks For The Help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2012, 11:26 AM

6,485 posts, read 12,537,659 times
It's not clear to me from where in Michigan you hail, but if climate is driving you, I'd say that I don't think you'd find much improvement in climate by moving to Michigan, other than less snow.

Within Indiana, I'd think the Bloomington area might be your best bet. But if you really want to escape winter weather, keep heading south.

Old 05-22-2012, 11:32 AM

3,681 posts, read 9,059,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bburk14 View Post
hey i am thinking about moving south. I currently live in Michigan and would like a more mild climate. However I need the big city amenities without the big city being in my backyard. I want to live about an hour away from the city. In a smaller scenic town. I've narrowed my search down to Kentucky, Virginia, Indiana, and Tennessee. Where should I move?

Extra, it has to be in a scenic region with inland lakes, for water sports and fishing, Thanks For The Help
Personally, I'd rank Virginia ahead of Indiana. Probably one hour west, south west or south of Washington DC... Beautiful with better weather, close to the beach, mountains and close to Richmond and Washington.

Old 05-22-2012, 11:55 AM

3,892 posts, read 5,515,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
It's not clear to me from where in Michigan you hail, but if climate is driving you, I'd say that I don't think you'd find much improvement in climate by moving to Michigan, other than less snow.

Within Indiana, I'd think the Bloomington area might be your best bet. But if you really want to escape winter weather, keep heading south.
Bloomington is very nice indeed and the weather is mild.
Remember Indiana has one major improvement over michigan as in most of the state doesnt deal with Lake Effect Snow. Plus Winter Temperatures are milder.
Indianapolis would also be a good choice. There is the Eagle Creek Lake on the northwest side and the Geist Res on the northeast side.

Indianapolis also has the nations most affordable housing market so you dont need to cough up a bunch of money to live near those 2 lakes. Plus there is the White River and some Lakes just south of Town
Indianapolis and Bloomington would be my 2 highest recommendidations.
The main problem with the south though is to many people are moving there and there is a lack of jobs. Where Indiana has lead the nation in the past 2 months for job growth. over 17,000 jobs created last month alone and Indiana accounts for 1/8 jobs created in the nation. Property taxes are also lower in Indiana than the south
Also you cant escape winter no matter how far south you go. Atlanta gets a snowstorm or 2 per year and when it happens the city just shuts down. Everything stops. Here in Indiana if you get a snowstorm life moves on and the snowcrews take care of the roads for ya obiviously

Old 05-22-2012, 12:14 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,537,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
Bloomington is very nice indeed and the weather is mild.
Remember Indiana has one major improvement over michigan as in most of the state doesnt deal with Lake Effect Snow. Plus Winter Temperatures are milder.
Indianapolis would also be a good choice. There is the Eagle Creek Lake on the northwest side and the Geist Res on the northeast side.

Indianapolis also has the nations most affordable housing market so you dont need to cough up a bunch of money to live near those 2 lakes. Plus there is the White River and some Lakes just south of Town
Indianapolis and Bloomington would be my 2 highest recommendidations.
The main problem with the south though is to many people are moving there and there is a lack of jobs. Where Indiana has lead the nation in the past 2 months for job growth. over 17,000 jobs created last month alone and Indiana accounts for 1/8 jobs created in the nation. Property taxes are also lower in Indiana than the south
Also you cant escape winter no matter how far south you go. Atlanta gets a snowstorm or 2 per year and when it happens the city just shuts down. Everything stops. Here in Indiana if you get a snowstorm life moves on and the snowcrews take care of the roads for ya obiviously
1. How much time have you spent as a resident of a southern state? What could you possibly know about property taxes or other tax issues in southern states? Did you fail to notice that one of the states listed by the OP is Tennessee, which lacks an income tax?

2. Do you ever do anything other than pimp Indianapolis or Indiana. The OP asked a very honest answer, but rather than provide him with an honest answer, you provided him with a chamber of commerce speech.

Old 05-22-2012, 12:21 PM

6 posts, read 14,183 times
Default which is safest and all-round good area to live

i have the option to settle in Louisville,KY or anyplace around Louisville..even in IN.I was looking for apartments to rent in safe areas that are not rural and not downtown and are very very safe. Anybody any suggestions? Thank you..apprecaite it.

Old 05-22-2012, 01:29 PM

26,411 posts, read 46,591,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bburk14 View Post

This isn't even a contest. Virginia ranks far above your other state selections because it has a much better job market. Richmond metro does very well overall in job growth in both white and blue collar employment. Hampton roads/Newport News region has a low unemployment rate due to the large military presence there. Northern Virginia has lots of high paying jobs, but much higher population density and costs more.

Old 05-22-2012, 01:35 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,350,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vishmahim View Post
i have the option to settle in Louisville,KY or anyplace around Louisville..even in IN.I was looking for apartments to rent in safe areas that are not rural and not downtown and are very very safe. Anybody any suggestions? Thank you..apprecaite it.
You will probably get a better response if you post your own thread in the Kentucky forum and the general Indiana forum.

GRM--thumbs up!

Old 05-22-2012, 02:54 PM

3,892 posts, read 5,515,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vishmahim View Post
Jeffersonville Indiana which is right across the River from Louisville would be a good place
Plus keep in mind Indiana has a 1% capped property tax rate which is one of the lowest in the nation so your better off buying real estate in Indiana compared to Kentucky

Old 05-22-2012, 04:23 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,743,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
Jeffersonville Indiana which is right across the River from Louisville would be a good place
Plus keep in mind Indiana has a 1% capped property tax rate which is one of the lowest in the nation so your better off buying real estate in Indiana compared to Kentucky

He said he is looking to rent, not buy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana