Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2013, 04:50 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,734,665 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by telerin View Post
Hi, all. We will be moving in to Columbus next summer and we are very exited about it. We have two kids (starting 1st and 3rd grade) and we are looking for good public schools areas to live in. I get it, Tipton Lakes is what seems to be the trend for young professionals like us, but we are worried about the HOA policies. Looking at the stats on elementary schools I see that Southside, Parkside and Rock Creek stand out, any word about Mount Healthy? I see nice properties with lots of land around that area. We will be working at the regional hospital, and I don't mind < 15 min drive (nothing worse than our daily commute in from and to Chicago subs)
Thanks
My neighborhood in the Parkside district doesn't have an HOA, which is primarily the reason we chose our home. Love it! And guess what … everyone takes care of their properties ON THEIR OWN, even the few that rent homes. I'll be happy to give you the particulars privately if you'd like.

We lived in the Chicago burbs and commuted for many years and let me tell you, the 15 minute commute to work is awesome. It's been great for our family.

Another school to look at is Richards. Great school. You'll have to be pretty insistent with your real estate agent on looking at schools in districts other than Parkside and Southside. Our agent only showed us those two districts. While it worked out for us, being new to the area, we had no idea about the other schools and what they had to offer. In fact, this is how I would rank the schools (taking no test scores into account because test scores are skewed since Parkside and Southside are the gifted/talented magnets):

Parkside … totally biased on my part
Richards
Rock Creek
Mount Healthy
Southside
Smith
Schmitt
Clifty Creek

BCSC also has Signature Academy magnets at Fodrea and Lincoln. They offer a project based curriculum. My oldest is in the Middle School Signature Academy and loves it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2013, 11:30 PM

2 posts, read 2,596 times
Thanks a lot for the info!!! We will be visiting soon and we'll try to visit some of the schools to have a better feel.

Old 12-26-2013, 08:27 PM

4 posts, read 6,974 times
Domergurl...I am ready for you to PM me the name of the realtor you suggest. We want to be close to IUPUC and Camp Atterbury.. Parkside is the perfect neighborhood for us...now the house part...
Praying until something happens P.U.S.H.
Shana

Old 12-27-2013, 05:52 AM

I sent you 2 PM's … the first one, I forgot to give my realtor recommendation … too early and not enough coffee!!!

Old 12-27-2013, 07:44 AM

4 posts, read 6,974 times
Thanks domergurl..my son is in middle school at a traditional program here in Louisville. He has ADHD and recently received a 504 plan. Are there any schools you would suggest? He is 11 and I have a 4 year old about to start Kinder. .. I have to get this situated prior to our June 1 arrival..time is flying by..How old are your kids?
Shana

Old 01-12-2014, 07:04 PM

3 posts, read 3,510 times
Does anyone know of an online map of the Columbus/Bartholomew County school boundaries? My family is considering relocation to the Columbus area, but what has been a bit of a pain is that you can only find the designated school for a specific address on the school district's website. Other districts have the boundary information readily available, so maybe I have just been looking in the wrong place?

Old 01-16-2014, 10:51 AM

58 posts, read 137,679 times
Hey there. I grew up in Columbus... I would seriously not move there if you don't have to.

There's many other areas that are better around.

It's an alright town, but it has a trapped feeling and maybe I just grew tired of it? I don't know. I moved out when I turned 19 and have been back like 5 times in 10 years.

If you like forced artwork via the structural way... then you'll love it.

It really is a dead end town. The schools are good though.

Old 01-16-2014, 10:56 AM

58 posts, read 137,679 times
Default check it out

Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
My neighborhood in the Parkside district doesn't have an HOA, which is primarily the reason we chose our home. Love it! And guess what … everyone takes care of their properties ON THEIR OWN, even the few that rent homes. I'll be happy to give you the particulars privately if you'd like.

We lived in the Chicago burbs and commuted for many years and let me tell you, the 15 minute commute to work is awesome. It's been great for our family.

Another school to look at is Richards. Great school. You'll have to be pretty insistent with your real estate agent on looking at schools in districts other than Parkside and Southside. Our agent only showed us those two districts. While it worked out for us, being new to the area, we had no idea about the other schools and what they had to offer. In fact, this is how I would rank the schools (taking no test scores into account because test scores are skewed since Parkside and Southside are the gifted/talented magnets):

Parkside … totally biased on my part
Richards
Rock Creek
Mount Healthy
Southside
Smith
Schmitt
Clifty Creek

BCSC also has Signature Academy magnets at Fodrea and Lincoln. They offer a project based curriculum. My oldest is in the Middle School Signature Academy and loves it.

I have been to all of these elementary schools at one time. I'm sure they have changed though. The people in these schools do not... The types of people by area...

I attended Schmitt and Mt. Healthy, but I've been to all of them in elementary basketball games. Which was the late 90s. Rock Creek/Mt. Healthy/Southside/Clifty Creek are all out the outskirts of Bartholomew Co.

Mt. Healthy and Rock Creek are the furthest out. So a country home would imply those schools for your kids.

Southside is the biggest of them, wealthy kids in general, same with Parkside. Smith is the worst school of them all. Richards I don't remember much about.

Any of the schools would be fine... I would avoid Southside and Smith. Schmitt is too much of a city school.... totally urban and kinda crazy kids there. Rock Creek/Mt. Healthy or Parkside would be the best bet

Old 01-17-2014, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack14 View Post
Does anyone know of an online map of the Columbus/Bartholomew County school boundaries? My family is considering relocation to the Columbus area, but what has been a bit of a pain is that you can only find the designated school for a specific address on the school district's website. Other districts have the boundary information readily available, so maybe I have just been looking in the wrong place?
I looked and didn't find one … it's probably because there are schools that take out of district students for various programs available (early childhood, pre-k and gifted and talented)

Old 01-17-2014, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robcynd View Post
Hey there. I grew up in Columbus... I would seriously not move there if you don't have to.

There's many other areas that are better around.

It's an alright town, but it has a trapped feeling and maybe I just grew tired of it? I don't know. I moved out when I turned 19 and have been back like 5 times in 10 years.

If you like forced artwork via the structural way... then you'll love it.

It really is a dead end town. The schools are good though.
I'm not surprised that you feel this way. I feel the same way about the town I grew up in .. couldn't get out of there fast enough! I'd imagine my kids will feel the same way when they are in high school. It's part of growing up and wanting to make your own way. I get it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana