Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 12:34 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,146,766 times

Advertisements

We are looking to relocate to South Bend for husband's job. I have been reading the forums and I see that Granger seems to be a favorite. I also see Mishawaka gets kudos as well. I have a son starting Jr. high in the fall. Which area is best for good schools? The HR person at husband's job suggested Edwardsburg but Im not interested in living in a town of about 1500 people (according to data). Im a graphic designer and I think jobs in my line of work would be easier to find closer to large city. Any thoughts? Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2008, 03:22 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,734,665 times
Granger has the best schools in the area. Taxes in Edwardsburg would be a lot higher too. I'm not sure about the job market in your field, but I think you are thinking in the right direction! Good luck!

Old 05-07-2008, 04:34 PM

cool, thanks for the info. It does seem like Granger has far less taxes than Edwardsburg and for the money, it seems like a person gets more of a house for the money also. Im a bit concerned with the septic tanks though. I have never owned a house that didnt have city sewers.

Old 05-07-2008, 05:42 PM

When we looked in Granger, we too were concerned about septic, but people seem to do fine. They just require some maintenace. I'm not sure, but hopefully part of the home inspection includes a septic inspection, if it doesn't, I'd pay to get one.

Do you need a realtor recommendation? I'd be happy to dm you the one we used.

Old 05-07-2008, 08:19 PM

Yes, a good realtor would be nice. Thank you. A friend of mine moved to AL and she has a septic tank with her new house. She said it was an adjustment but she also has had issues. She did pay for an inspection but I guess a yr later the soap build up from her washing machine was causing issues. ???? I have no idea what that means really but she anyway she paid to have an additional tank installed just for soap. Does that make sense? Like I said I dont know anything about them. My next research project.

Old 05-08-2008, 05:50 AM

I know little or nothing either falling! It didn't work out for us to move to Granger, so I stopped all research! Check your dm's.

Old 05-08-2008, 09:05 AM

Where did you move to? Got your message about the realtor. Thanks!

Old 05-08-2008, 09:11 AM

Hubby was working in South Bend while we lived in Valparaiso. Then all of a sudden, we were faced with relocating to either Lafayette or Fishers ... Fishers worked out. What a hectic time that was!

Old 05-08-2008, 10:32 AM

3 posts, read 7,756 times
I agree Granger would be your best bet in getting something similar to a Deeetroit burb. Where are you moving from? I previously lived in Rochester Hills. Be ready for a real slow down though!!! Life is alot slower and not as convenient. One thing you may want to consider is looking further west to the Portage area. I mention that just because finding a graphic designer job in this area will be pretty hard. Being closer to the Chicago area will increase those chances. And it will allow the both of you to split the difference for the commute, just a thought. Good luck with your searching!!!

Old 05-08-2008, 10:40 AM

Thanks! Hubby just called and has an interview next Wed. So I need to book a motel for our trip. We currently live in Lincoln Park, a stone's throw away from the Big D. We were actually in the process of buying a different house, moving south toward Trenton or Grosse Ile but everytime we tried to get a bid in on a house, we got out bid. We were just saying last week how its strange that for it being a buyers market, we keep missing out. Then this job in Indiana came up. So hmm...Im very excited at the idea of leaving Michigan, we have been trying to for the past 5 yrs but nothing happened. So just when we finally decide to settle, bam! lol. So maybe we can just transfer our mortgage stuff to Indiana but not sure with a job change etc. I will look into Portage as well. Again, thank you for the information!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana