Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2006, 02:09 PM

217 posts, read 800,155 times

Advertisements

My family and I are considering a move to central Indiana (Indianapolis suburbs) Are there any areas to stay away from? We have school age children so we are looking for a good school district. Also, I have noticed that most homes in that area are in Home owner's associations....Can you tell me about that?? How does that work? I have never lived in one or know anyone who has, but I found things on the internet that says how awful they are and that has me worried. Any info would be great and thank you!!

Terri
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2006, 05:26 PM

77 posts, read 464,684 times
Grew up in Indy. It's a commuter city for the most part. The north and northeast sides are the fastest growing and priciest, possibly with the best schools too. Carmel, in Hamilton County, the county just north of Marion County, which is where Indy is, is probably the most expensive area so presumably has the highest tax base for schools. Hamilton Southeastern school district (around Geist Reservoir) is supposed to be pretty good too and area is more affordable (except around the reservoir which is very pricey), but it's a ways out there, although with a some rural charm. On the northeast and east side, Lawrence school district, where I went, is also supposed to be pretty good, or was - haven't lived in Indy for many years - and is affordable. Ft. Harrison State Park is a new state park (used to be a military base) out by Lawrence that is pretty nice. Warren Township schools also not bad but area has gotten run down over the years. Same with Lawrence to a lesser extent. North Lawrence schools in the Castleton area might be a good bet too as it's more upscale but still probably affordable. Otherwise, you're looking at most of the newer suburbs being outside the beltline (I-465) where most of the tax base has been moving over the years. On the northwest side, the little town of Zionsville is pretty upscale but a longer commute to Indy. Inside the beltway, Broad Ripple area is the "hip" part of town with shops and clubs and also has nice older neighborhoods that are very attractive - it's about halfway between downtown and the beltline. Just north of BR is Nora, with similar features. Between BR and Nora is the Monon bike path, the only such feature in town. Not sure about the schools in those areas. South side until beyond the beltline is probably to be avoided but to the far south Greenwood is very up and coming with more tax base and probably good schools. Beech Grove is a little closer in and decent schools from what I've heard. Traffic has picked up in Indy over the years and walking/biking is not much in vogue there, very car-oriented. Eagle Creek Park on the northwest side is a nice recreation area and there's a lot of new housing development out there too, so you might check that out. Stay away from west side from downtown around US 40/Washingon Street to the beltline until you get out by Plainfield. Southwest side inside the beltline is very industrial, so probably want to avoid that. Southeast side around Wanamaker and Cumberland isn't too bad - probably affordable and lots of farmland. If I had to live there again I'd probably live on the north or northeast side outside I-465 or the southeast side around Wanamaker. Hope this was helpful.

Old 05-25-2006, 11:26 AM

52 posts, read 398,986 times
Have you considered southern Indiana? Bloomington is 45 miles south of Indianapolis. There are no complaints about this town. I feel safe no matter what time of day it is. The schools here are good. I have four young children so I can vouch for that. The people here are friendly and housing is not that expensive. Bloomington is the hometownof Indiana University so it is a diverse community. There are many things to do here as a family as well as for adults.

Old 05-29-2006, 12:29 PM

1,242 posts, read 3,761,065 times
If you want to play "keep up with the Jones" move north. If you want more down to earth reality look south. The above advice about Wanamaker is good advice. Cumberland has recently slid down the charts. If you want to live in Indy take a look at Perry Twp which is due south or the southwest side (forget twp's name). Greenwood or western Johnson County with Center Grove schools would be my choice. The north side is more of a "happening" place but it is more expensive and crowded.

Old 05-31-2006, 06:09 AM

19 posts, read 88,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimp
My family and I are considering a move to central Indiana (Indianapolis suburbs) Are there any areas to stay away from? We have school age children so we are looking for a good school district. Also, I have noticed that most homes in that area are in Home owner's associations....Can you tell me about that?? How does that work? I have never lived in one or know anyone who has, but I found things on the internet that says how awful they are and that has me worried. Any info would be great and thank you!!

Terri
I live in Greenwood and my daughter just finished high school at Center Grove, which is a good school district. I would base my decision partically on where I worked. If you work on the north side of Indy it's a long way to drive from Greenwood. However, it's easy to get to downtown from Greenwood. We have a homeowner's association in our housing addition. We pay $80/year (which is cheap) and that pays for snow removal (even though the county will eventually remove it, it's not one of their priorities so it could be 2-3 days before they get to it), street lighting so you can walk in the neighborhood at night, etc. Some homeowner's associations include clubhouses, swimming pools, etc. You need to read the covenants before moving into a housing addition. For example, we can't have out buildings, we can't park a big motor home or boat in our driveway, etc.

Last edited by NealPT; 05-31-2006 at 06:13 AM..

Old 06-05-2006, 03:21 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,734,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimp

Terri
HOA's are more trouble than they are worth, but unfortunately, it's hard to get away from them unless you live somewhere rural.

Carmel, Fishers, Noblesville & Zionsville on the north side have good schools. Avon is good on the SW side ... Center Grove is good on the south side. If you want a smaller school system, I suggest Mount Vernon on the east side.

You can find school information at http://www.doe.state.in.us/ (broken link) you can start your seach by clicking on k-12 school data.

Or email me and we can "chat" further.

Good luck! I have a good friend who went to Willamette LS.

I will vouch for Bloomington as well. It's probably very similar to Salem.

Old 06-11-2006, 05:46 PM

2 posts, read 2,678 times
Are any of those with the good schools in a good area?

Old 07-15-2006, 07:23 PM

28 posts, read 135,026 times
I know people that live in AVON, and PLAINFIELD, IN areas both west of Indy; very nice areas. WESTFIELD and FISCHERS areas are nice, but way north of INDY. GREENWOOD is a very nice area, just south of INDY. Prob would have to talk to people who actually live in each 'association' to really know what they are like. All these area are super nice, family-like locals.

Old 08-30-2006, 07:29 PM

4 posts, read 29,905 times
Hi Domergurl:

In the last line of your post you mention Bloomington. I have considered moving there (will prob attend IU there PT) but I noticed in another thread that people felt that finding work in the area is difficult. Too many grads with degrees are underemployed. I'm relocating from NJ and I would like to live somewhere between Indianapolis and Bloomington. I'm single, 30+, no childern and like outdoor sports. Swimming, biking, riding etc. and need to find a decent paying job as well. Any ideas?

Old 08-31-2006, 05:06 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,734,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikao77 View Post
Hi Domergurl:

In the last line of your post you mention Bloomington. I have considered moving there (will prob attend IU there PT) but I noticed in another thread that people felt that finding work in the area is difficult. Too many grads with degrees are underemployed. I'm relocating from NJ and I would like to live somewhere between Indianapolis and Bloomington. I'm single, 30+, no childern and like outdoor sports. Swimming, biking, riding etc. and need to find a decent paying job as well. Any ideas?
If you are going to IU part time ... live in Indianapolis. You could also consider going to IU's campus in Indianpolis as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana