Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 06:14 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,741,511 times

Advertisements

Wow, your Columbus is much different from my Columbus, yelling? Ignorance? Wow you must come from paradise ... again, your expectation level is askew for this area of the state. Try Bloomington, it doesn't have the architecture, but it does have culture and the commute is about as bad as from Carmel, just in the same weather pattern as Columbus. It's the cultural capital of the state as far as I'm concerned. Carmel's culture probably won't do it for you either, but IU is there, so there are plenty of highly educated people who probably aren't very ignorant and don't yell ... although some of the most ignorant and yelling people I've ever encountered were Harvard and Yale law graduates when I worked for 2 big law firms in Chicago ... I find Columbus very docile and mellow.

Last edited by domergurl; 12-15-2008 at 06:28 AM..

Old 12-15-2008, 06:27 AM

46 posts, read 187,765 times
News flash! Maybe you should move back to wherever you came from because the among the ENTIRE state of Indiana, only 25% have college degrees.

Consider putting your kids in private school. If you wind up in Carmel, inquire about how many teachers have been arrested or fired for "inappropriate" relations with students.

It's so sad for you to assume that your neighbors in Columbus have no hope or desire for their children to acheive greater things. I'm sorry to tell you, but you will find fighting, yelling, and ignorance in any town across America. Maybe that's something you bring on by yourself because of your attitude.

I say drive from Carmel to Columbus. You should enjoy the commute, thinking about your Carmel neighbors and how much better they are than all the dumb people you used to live with in Columbus. It ought to make you relish every mile.

Old 12-15-2008, 10:08 AM

174 posts, read 528,861 times
Relowegogo,

I lived in Franklin for a while and thought it was pretty good. It may be a bit smaller than what you are looking for though. I met some really nice people in Franklin, there was lots of nice walking there (I lived in the downtown area), the housing costs were low, and we were close to Indy.

It might not be what you are looking for, I am not sure about the schools or how great of an environment it is for children.

I understand how it is to move somewhere and it ends up not being what you expected. I wish you luck in your search for something better for you and your family.

Old 12-15-2008, 11:56 AM

11 posts, read 10,796 times
Thanks VALover. I was not trying to instigate an argument. I was looking for insight into other towns that may suit me better. Whew. I will check into Franklin, Madison, and Bloomington. Fortunately, until this forum, none of the hostility was directed toward me.

Old 12-15-2008, 12:17 PM

Bloomington, but since affluence and happiness are not mutually exclusive to you, I kind wonder where on god's green earth you would be happy.

Hostility only on this forum ... you were the one who said that people yell in Columbus ... I'm really wondering about you. You seem high maintenance, which, Columbus is not. And the only reason you feel hostility here is that this is a somewhat anonymous message board. With the attitude you've presented here, trust me, you've burned bridges, only people won't call you on it when you present yourself in person.

Last edited by domergurl; 12-15-2008 at 01:23 PM..

Old 12-15-2008, 01:43 PM

11 posts, read 10,796 times
Thanks for your help. I will explore Bloomington.

Domergurl, I have been happy in at least 10 other cities and this is the only time I have wanted to look elsewhere. I said I witnessed a lot of yelling/fighting in Columbus, not been the target of the yelling etc.. After reading a few of your other posts, I too wonder about you. I am not the first person to disagree with you and meet your wrath.

I truly was just looking for input but I guess I treaded on your beloved town when seeking another environment. Anyone with constructive suggestions for towns/cities in IN that might appeal to me are welcome. Further insults are not.

Old 12-15-2008, 02:12 PM

910 posts, read 2,985,716 times
Exclamation wow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relowegogo View Post
Thanks for the input. It is interesting to hear the opinions about the commuting distance.

Domergurl, I am happy for you that you like it in Columbus. People experience things in different ways and what makes you happy does not necessarily make everyone happy. I like being in an environment where more people have values similar to mine. A town where I will witness less fighting, yelling and ignorance. A town where people (in general) have bigger hopes for their children. A town where enjoying things of refinement and culture is not viewed as wasteful. I never expected Columbus to replicate the town from which I relocated. I did do my research but frankly felt there were few commutable options other than Columbus. I had just hoped that the things Columbus had to offer (one being architecture) would make it different in some way than most small isolated towns. In some ways it is great and Columbus does have some very nice qualities but I think we would be happier elsewhere. Having nice things around you and exposing your children to those things does not equate to being unhappy or snobby.

Affluence and happiness are not mutually exclusive for me.

I too have lived around the world and personally have been struck by how pleasant it can be to be surrounded by people who have a strong drive to achieve and find those that have more education are likely to provide the companionship and friendship that my soul desires. I relocated from one of the coasts (you can guess which one) and I wonder if perhaps I would enjoy a town that Domergurl sees as snobby. So, Domergurl, at the risk of sounding contentious can you tell me which enclave/town/city in IN is THE most "elitist" in your opinion. I suspect you may see the place as elitist and I may see it as a haven for my heart and soul which seek a different environment.

Thank you to all who responded. You gave me tips on areas to consider as well as thoughts about how to see Columbus in a different light. If any of you have any thoughts on towns in IN that you think I might like I would appreciated the insight.

WAIT A MINUTE RELO! What exactly did Domegurl say to make you get all political on her?? She was right that you can't judge a place on ISTEP scores, thats pretty much all she said. She never called you anything or said anything in that matter to start a debate.

I havent noticed much fighting and violence in Columbus. Crime rate is well below average, and I could actually see more of that stuff up in the Indianapolis area more so than a small town like Columbus or Bloomington. But violence is bound to happen anywhere you live at some point. Every city in the US has some major crime every year im sure.

Sorry you didn't like Columbus. I liked my few years there, but I had no choice but to move to Madison, (Which I like a little better then Columbus.)

Old 12-15-2008, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relowegogo View Post
Thanks for your help. I will explore Bloomington.

Domergurl, I have been happy in at least 10 other cities and this is the only time I have wanted to look elsewhere. I said I witnessed a lot of yelling/fighting in Columbus, not been the target of the yelling etc.. After reading a few of your other posts, I too wonder about you. I am not the first person to disagree with you and meet your wrath.

I truly was just looking for input but I guess I treaded on your beloved town when seeking another environment. Anyone with constructive suggestions for towns/cities in IN that might appeal to me are welcome. Further insults are not.

Old 12-15-2008, 04:07 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,355,682 times
I'm going to be brutely honest here...I don't think you will find what you seek anywhere within reasonable commuting distance from Columbus. There maybe pockets of it in Greenwood and maybe more in Carmel or Floyd Knobs, but overall I think you will be disappointed.

Regarding Bloomington. Yes, there are pockets of affluence in Bloomington. Yes, there are many educated people here. Yes, there are diverse cultural opportunities here. But at it's heart Monroe County is midwestern in attitude and make-up. I don't think you would be happy here either if affluence is important to you. Few people here play the "keep up with the Jones' " game as I call it--even many of the wealthiest. Those that do have often moved here from elsewhere. Places where the game was more important. When we moved here, by choice, from a fairly affluent suburb of Chicago many of our friends seriously questioned us as they could not understand why we would voluntarily give up our sort of upper middle class lifestyle for a college town in southern Indiana.

Our answer may give you an idea about how to view your time in Columbus and to see the positive. The reality is that as adults our children will need to work and live with people from all economic and cultural backgrounds. Even if my children grow up to be "the boss" they will need to understand the views of their employees. In our "bubble world" as I affectionately call our former hometown they did not experience that. Here they have. They've learned to value people for who they are and not what they have. Things are just not as important to them. That's not to say my teenage children don't want the latest gadgets or clothing, but they understand life will not stop if they don't receive it. They have also learned to understand that not everyone has the "things" they do have and thus appreciate them more. Some food for thought I hope.

Old 12-15-2008, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
I'm going to be brutely honest here...I don't think you will find what you seek anywhere within reasonable commuting distance from Columbus. There maybe pockets of it in Greenwood and maybe more in Carmel or Floyd Knobs, but overall I think you will be disappointed.

Regarding Bloomington. Yes, there are pockets of affluence in Bloomington. Yes, there are many educated people here. Yes, there are diverse cultural opportunities here. But at it's heart Monroe County is midwestern in attitude and make-up. I don't think you would be happy here either if affluence is important to you. Few people here play the "keep up with the Jones' " game as I call it--even many of the wealthiest. Those that do have often moved here from elsewhere. Places where the game was more important. When we moved here, by choice, from a fairly affluent suburb of Chicago many of our friends seriously questioned us as they could not understand why we would voluntarily give up our sort of upper middle class lifestyle for a college town in southern Indiana.

Our answer may give you an idea about how to view your time in Columbus and to see the positive. The reality is that as adults our children will need to work and live with people from all economic and cultural backgrounds. Even if my children grow up to be "the boss" they will need to understand the views of their employees. In our "bubble world" as I affectionately call our former hometown they did not experience that. Here they have. They've learned to value people for who they are and not what they have. Things are just not as important to them. That's not to say my teenage children don't want the latest gadgets or clothing, but they understand life will not stop if they don't receive it. They have also learned to understand that not everyone has the "things" they do have and thus appreciate them more. Some food for thought I hope.

Rock on!

I know it's not Thanksgiving anymore, but I'm so thankful that there are more even keeled people on here than me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana