Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 06:43 AM

8,981 posts, read 17,294,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickettj View Post
I've been going to Indy regularly for about six or seven years now and I have NEVER felt safe after dark unless there was a large crowd. Last year we did New Years at Jillians downtown and I didn't have a problem walking around after 1 AM with the hundreds of others on that road, but with the seemingly huge homeless population coming out and lining the underpasses and other sheltered areas, it's just a little scary if you're the only other ones out.

I've rarely taken a trip to Indy, staying until after dark, and not felt at least slightly threatened at some point. I'd rather be on my way home when the sun sets.
No offense, but have you spent any time on other large towns? It seems the people who think Indy is scary are people from places like Spencer and North Vernon. I know people from Chicago and Los Angeles who laugh at the thought of Indy being a "scary" place. I guess it is all a matter of perspective.

For the record, I have been downtown after dark many, many times. I have never felt unsafe. But then again, I am used to it. Seeing a harmless bum on Capitol is not scary to me. It probably is if you are from North Vernon or Bedford or some place like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2008, 05:59 PM

28 posts, read 101,595 times
it may have just been indy in general that they were poking fun at, as compared to chicago, i really dont know...if folks like it here, God bless...enjoy...as for me i cant wait to get back to santa fe nm or prescott az

Old 04-05-2008, 11:55 PM

23 posts, read 67,027 times
Default we have no special sandwich

Right here in landlocked Indiana with no purple mountains majesty or sea to shining sea, without even a special sandwich to call our own, there are some of the most caring individuals I have had the pleasure of knowing. There are way too many holes, that is a fact. Ddimple says she is Indian, and gives a zip code, someone else wants a job at Target, and I can invision what happened here; people googling Target addresses, looking up locations of Indian communities. That is what I know about people from here, after living here all of my life. My car broke down at the mall, a young husband and wife noticed. The husband checked out the situation, left his wife with me, went to a auto parts store, got a part, returned, put the part into place. This he did so my vehicle could be driven to a shop so it could be fixed completely. He drove my car, his wife and I followed in theirs. At the shop a friend of theirs worked on my car for over an hour, and completed what needed to be done. I got out my checkbook, and none of them would accept a dime. They said they were happy to help someone who needed help. That is the type of thing that this place is all about. It is the spirit that is depicted in the movies HOOSIERS and BREAKING AWAY. People talk about places that aspire to be more cosmopolitan, or more world class, a wannabe this or that, I wannabe a person that lives in a relatively large city where people, for the most part, are caring and polite, so I live here. A tremendous skyline or a breathtaking landscape won't sit up all night with you when a tragedy falls out of the sky into your unprepared lap, but this is a place where many of the people will.

Last edited by judy3; 04-06-2008 at 12:13 AM.. Reason: brevity

Old 04-06-2008, 06:26 AM

1,099 posts, read 3,736,905 times
Wow, Judy, that was amazing, Thank you for reminding me why I love indiana so much.

Old 04-06-2008, 07:03 PM

28 posts, read 101,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by judy3 View Post
Right here in landlocked Indiana with no purple mountains majesty or sea to shining sea, without even a special sandwich to call our own, there are some of the most caring individuals I have had the pleasure of knowing. There are way too many holes, that is a fact. Ddimple says she is Indian, and gives a zip code, someone else wants a job at Target, and I can invision what happened here; people googling Target addresses, looking up locations of Indian communities. That is what I know about people from here, after living here all of my life. My car broke down at the mall, a young husband and wife noticed. The husband checked out the situation, left his wife with me, went to a auto parts store, got a part, returned, put the part into place. This he did so my vehicle could be driven to a shop so it could be fixed completely. He drove my car, his wife and I followed in theirs. At the shop a friend of theirs worked on my car for over an hour, and completed what needed to be done. I got out my checkbook, and none of them would accept a dime. They said they were happy to help someone who needed help. That is the type of thing that this place is all about. It is the spirit that is depicted in the movies HOOSIERS and BREAKING AWAY. People talk about places that aspire to be more cosmopolitan, or more world class, a wannabe this or that, I wannabe a person that lives in a relatively large city where people, for the most part, are caring and polite, so I live here. A tremendous skyline or a breathtaking landscape won't sit up all night with you when a tragedy falls out of the sky into your unprepared lap, but this is a place where many of the people will.
i have met some nice people in indy also in louisville, cant say ive lived in any city that people were down right mean...hell when i lived in LA my truck broke down right outside of compton and this guy pulled my battery, drove me back to his radiator shop, charged it, took me back, and i was on my way, and i'm a white guy...san antonio and albuquerque are probably two of friendliest towns ive ever been to... (with some culture and diversity to boot!)
cant say people in indiana are any more friendly than any other place ive been with the exception of florida and new york...besides my grip wasnt with the people of indy anyway, it's with the way the tax payer $ is spent
and the decision making process in city managment...like you said, you've lived here all your life, i can say from EXPERIENCE there are good and decent people everywhere

Old 05-01-2009, 11:17 AM

18 posts, read 54,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cma47940 View Post
no place in indianapolis is crime free... even those of us living nearby know to lock everything up, walk fast, and dont stare.... be smart and drive in from a good save area like brownsburg, pittsboro, crawfordsville, lebanon, etc.... these are all medium sized cities without the crime and the small commute is well worth being able to sleep at night.
is it so bad?,the net provides info. showing evidence that indianapolis is one of the safest places in the US to live and raise children...please provide more info. on this subject, because i was also thinking on moving to Indy;with a 5 yr son and no relatives any place neer.......

Old 05-01-2009, 02:19 PM

1,095 posts, read 3,998,654 times
No, it is not that bad at all. All those places are small redneck towns, all-white or close to it. Indianapolis is extremely safe compared to other cities of its size.

Old 05-02-2009, 10:46 AM

18 posts, read 54,418 times
So, Naptowner; what would you suggest? i am a single mother with a 5yr son, with an ESL Degree ( i am Puerto Rican and people also have prejudice towards us) I really like what is told on the net about Indy but i really want a place that is safe, where people are actually "living reality" if you knw what i mean. ""Diversity in ethnicity is not a crime we are all people"". well thanks a lot, any further inf will be, great

Old 05-03-2009, 11:19 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,734,665 times
Fishers ... look at Fishers. The schools are great, the town is really safe.

Old 05-03-2009, 04:51 PM

306 posts, read 689,948 times
My uncle lives in Carmel as well and it is a very nice area to live in. Can't speak much of it except that it's a nice area and schools are good in that area as well. I don't know how far Fishers is but I have another uncle that lives there and that's another newer and safe area. The new Fishers High School is amazing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis