Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2012, 07:59 AM

3,004 posts, read 5,151,479 times

Advertisements

So what do you all think of the list put out by the state for reasons to move to Indiana.

http://www.100reasonsindiana.com/med..._Full_List.pdf

Looking for some good sound constructive criticisim/critique. No one liners, no it's bad just because it's Indiana, no dog and pony state can do no wrong comments.

I'll start by saying, the list is redundant on some aspects, esp. life sciences. It's a growing market but still pretty niche. Honestly, no one looks at a state's credit rating and decides to live there. Yes Indiana has a AAA rating and while people should probably look at that, it's the furthest from anyone's mind.

So in the words of Jim Rome, Have a take and don't suck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2012, 08:17 AM

8,980 posts, read 17,294,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msamhunter View Post
So what do you all think of the list put out by the state for reasons to move to Indiana.

http://www.100reasonsindiana.com/med..._Full_List.pdf

Looking for some good sound constructive criticisim/critique. No one liners, no it's bad just because it's Indiana, no dog and pony state can do no wrong comments.

I'll start by saying, the list is redundant on some aspects, esp. life sciences. It's a growing market but still pretty niche. Honestly, no one looks at a state's credit rating and decides to live there. Yes Indiana has a AAA rating and while people should probably look at that, it's the furthest from anyone's mind.

So in the words of Jim Rome, Have a take and don't suck!
I would start by pointing out that the list is more geared toward moving a business here, not an individual relocating. So, in that context, references to the state's credit rating and debt ration make more sense.

As far as the list, there is a lot to like about it. There is quite a bit of fluff here geared toward getting the list to 100. Ameilia Earhardt was a faculty member at Purdue, and Suzanne Collins graduated from IU? I'm inspired to start my own business already.

Old 05-14-2012, 08:30 AM

3,892 posts, read 5,515,157 times
i saw that list and thought A it was cute. and B it was true. C why didnt we do this earlier? lol
Sometimes something like that can be a boost. I my 3 favorites are the one about Indianapolis having the nations most affordable housing market according to Businessweek. #2 i like the Right to Work one. #3 The only state in the nation to CUT taxes well in a recession. thats major considering Illinois had to raise taxes and send people to our state.

Old 05-14-2012, 09:43 AM

750 posts, read 1,065,342 times
Good guys, perhaps now you 3 can do your own "love IN chat" without getting much resistance, hopefully

I had to laugh in some of things on the list, sorry, but I feel no desire on discuss against it either, I think it is a good initiative form the government. It is much focused on bringing business as pointed out before.

I just find interesting the IN-IL battle to steal business from one another... It does not help when both are still bellow national average for unemployment...

Old 05-14-2012, 10:52 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,857,902 times
The list was worth a couple of smiles. Cute and clever.

I think #1 was curious. To your health? Really? Indiana ranks as one of the unhealthiest states. Indiana ranks in the top ten states for obesity, childhood obesity, smoking, diabetes and inactivity. Sadly, Indianapolis ranks second highest for inactivity out of 100 cities and received an "F" grade. Only Lexington KY was ranked worse, the most inactive city in the nation.

#24 is kind of a stretch since Indiana has no mountains, oceans or national parks. And bike trails in most of the state, especially downtown Indianapolis, are a joke, and lag far behind many other states. But hey, fishing and hunting are sports too, right?

#26 is very good, Butler being the smallest school to play in the NCAA championship. Yay!

#27 is great. IMA rocks.

#47 4,475 miles of active railroad tracks but high-speed rail for commuters would be nice.

#60 The Indianapolis Children's Museum is the best in the world. I loved it as a child and love it as an adult. One of my favorite places to take out of state visitors.

#99 True, no better place for sports anywhere.

Old 05-14-2012, 11:21 AM

3,004 posts, read 5,151,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
The list was worth a couple of smiles. Cute and clever.

I think #1 was curious. To your health? Really? Indiana ranks as one of the unhealthiest states. Indiana ranks in the top ten states for obesity, childhood obesity, smoking, diabetes and inactivity. Sadly, Indianapolis ranks second highest for inactivity out of 100 cities and received an "F" grade. Only Lexington KY was ranked worse, the most inactive city in the nation.

#24 is kind of a stretch since Indiana has no mountains, oceans or national parks. And bike trails in most of the state, especially downtown Indianapolis, are a joke, and lag far behind many other states. But hey, fishing and hunting are sports too, right?

#26 is very good, Butler being the smallest school to play in the NCAA championship. Yay!

#27 is great. IMA rocks.

#47 4,475 miles of active railroad tracks but high-speed rail for commuters would be nice.

#60 The Indianapolis Children's Museum is the best in the world. I loved it as a child and love it as an adult. One of my favorite places to take out of state visitors.

#99 True, no better place for sports anywhere.
Indiana Dunes is a national park although part of it is also State

#1 isn't about health of the individual but the connectivity that exists within the state with regards to network and access. Apparently Indiana connects more than any other state.

#24, yes Indianapolis isn't where it should be but, up north, Indiana Dunes, all along the lake between Lake Street Beach and the dunes and areas east of USS Portage plant to Michigan city actually gets a lot of walking and exercise walking up and down the various dunes. The state is in the process of being fully connected via bikeways. Of course that will take years to finish but in the works. Hiking in Brown County is pretty popular and pretty fun. Obviously, can't say what happens in every part of the state, but some parts are better than others obviously. The problem with Indianapolis while there's walking, there isn't adequate walking for everyone. Granted, NE Quad of the city will hit the monon. NW Quad will hit Eagle Creek, downtown will hit the cultural trail/WRSP and Canal and midtown heading north normally uses the broad ripple canal between IMA and broad ripple. Everywhere else is very sporadic. Sure you can hit Valle Vista in Greenwood and go around and through Craig Park but that's about it.

IMA is severely underrated. 100 acres is lovely. Top floor is an enigma to me though. They should have been more precise. It's supposedly 5th largest general art as you know there are all types of musuems and some larger but it is like the 7th oldest museum as well.

Old 05-15-2012, 10:33 AM

1,312 posts, read 1,871,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msamhunter View Post

http://www.100reasonsindiana.com/med..._Full_List.pdf...
Number 14
Inheritance Tax? what Inheritance Tax?
Indiana is eliminating its inheritance tax!

"Hoosiers... let me be the first to announce the arrival of Indiana's newest resident... Paris Hilton!"... and the crowd goes wild.

I couldn't resist. Sorry.

When I read about taxes being cut, I can't help but think about what that means for the state and the city. Sure, the state is in the black now. But if taxes just keep getting lower and lower... where will the money be to pay for things?

Cutting programs/projects? Okay, fine. But who is willing to take a tax break and give up a service they use that is funded by taxes?

And the tax breaks assume that people take the money saved and put it back into the economy for the individuals benefit. That's great, but if road maintenance is reduced because of lower revenues from taxes, you're probably going to be putting that extra money into tires, suspension, and the like, at a much more frequent rate than if road maintenance hadn't been cut.

Pay me now, or pay me later. That's what my dad always said.

Old 05-15-2012, 06:45 PM

629 posts, read 771,941 times
Ive been a resident of Indiana for 3 years and find the difference from the very liberral state I left palpable. You just dont know how good you have it here. Especially if you are a hard working and independent minded.

People bust their rumps in this state and appreciate being employed. They dont complain and mind their own business. They have a keen since of financial responsability both public and private and let that guide decision making.

Michigans a mess. Slobs lying around waiting for the government or the UAW to come resue them. Whining because they lost their beach house because of cut backs on OT at the Ford plant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis