Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 09:31 AM

1 posts, read 9,569 times

Advertisements

I mean absolute no disrespect to people who are from Indiana or who enjoy living here, but I have to admit that the time I've lived here, I've been the most unhappiest. The people are just not what I'm used to - they're very cliquish and standoffish. We've lived here for many years and still only know a few people - ironically, the people we do know are from out of state as well.

I got used to the land being so flat and seeing cornfields everywhere I went, but it doesn't feel like home - it feels more like a prison. I'm perplexed because I've been to neighboring states (OH, IL and MI) and don't get the same vibe as in Indy.

Where I'm from, if you make eye contact with someone you don't know, you smile and acknowledge that person. Here if you make eye contact with someone, he/she just glares back. It's eerie.

My husband is being transferred to TX within the next 2 years and will be happy to move. I won't have any desire to ever come back or will I miss anything about Indiana. Again, not trying to be rude, I'm just trying to understand why things are the way they are

Also, the food is very bland here. I don't understand why they cut their pizza in little squares and not slices - I had never seen that before!!

I'm posting out of frustration. I do want to enjoy my time here, and I have tried. Anyone else experience this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2013, 09:46 AM

4,970 posts, read 6,268,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliJ523 View Post
I mean absolute no disrespect to people who are from Indiana or who enjoy living here, but I have to admit that the time I've lived here, I've been the most unhappiest. The people are just not what I'm used to - they're very cliquish and standoffish. We've lived here for many years and still only know a few people - ironically, the people we do know are from out of state as well.

I got used to the land being so flat and seeing cornfields everywhere I went, but it doesn't feel like home - it feels more like a prison. I'm perplexed because I've been to neighboring states (OH, IL and MI) and don't get the same vibe as in Indy.

Where I'm from, if you make eye contact with someone you don't know, you smile and acknowledge that person. Here if you make eye contact with someone, he/she just glares back. It's eerie.

My husband is being transferred to TX within the next 2 years and will be happy to move. I won't have any desire to ever come back or will I miss anything about Indiana. Again, not trying to be rude, I'm just trying to understand why things are the way they are

Also, the food is very bland here. I don't understand why they cut their pizza in little squares and not slices - I had never seen that before!!

I'm posting out of frustration. I do want to enjoy my time here, and I have tried. Anyone else experience this?
Where are you from originally? I've had no problems meeting people in Indianapolis, though I am from Indiana originally, but not close to Indianapolis. My wife moved here from New Jersey and has made several friends, some from out of state (including one originally from Canada) and some that grew up in Indianapolis.

I've very rarely experienced making eye contact with someone and them not smiling or saying hello. I encounter that all the time, not just in the Indy area but also when I lived in Fort Wayne, Mishawaka, and my hometown of Goshen. So I'm not sure what to tell you about that.

As for food being bland, it may depend what you are used to. I've found several restaurants in Indy that I love. There are a handful of pizza joints that cut pizza into squares but most do slices. Are you just going to the same places over and over again??

One man's trash is another man's treasure. Indiana is certainly not right for some people. Maybe you're just one of those people. But I have no idea why you have experienced the things you have unless you just haven't broken out of your shell and just live in one little bubble.

Old 05-09-2013, 10:08 AM

8,980 posts, read 17,290,716 times
Quote:

Thin crust pizza is commonly cut into squares everywhere, surely you jest.

Old 05-09-2013, 11:51 AM

3,004 posts, read 5,150,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sulfate View Post
Indiana sucks, dude. I hate every single second of it. The state lacks any culture, vibrance, and certainly any indentity of its own. Rather, Hoosiers seem to absorb the social norms that society and media dictate oh so harshly.

I'm moving as soon as I graduate high school.
Explains a lot. Still in hs. So what are those social norms that we just absorb from the media?

To the op, while i've never had that experience in indiana, usually fear saying hello and hearing someone's life story, no place is utopia for everyone. Hope you find what your are looking for.

Old 05-09-2013, 01:04 PM

6,472 posts, read 6,678,064 times
Quote:

Wow, sorry to hear you feel so unhappy. I grew up in Indiana (lived there until my mid-40s actually), and since then I've lived in a few other states. In my experience, Indiana was much friendlier than most other places I've lived. But I do know how you feel, for example, when I lived in Boston, I felt it was very cliquish and unfriendly, but people who had grown up there loved it. Their reality was very different than mine. I don't know, maybe when you grow up somewhere, it just becomes part of your inner core, your place of comfort, your place that just feels right. Because my vibe of Indiana is completely different than yours.

I'm the kind of person who always smiles and says hi to people I pass, and in my experience most people in Indy will say hi back. In other states I've lived, I've actually been told that people find it creepy or weird for strangers to say hi. To each his own I guess.

What part of town are you in? Are you working? Do you and your husband have an active social life? There are some great meetup groups for all sorts of activities. Do you have a few fun friends to hang out with? That can make all the difference.

I'll agree with you that a lot of food in Indiana is on the bland side, but there is good to be found, you can even find pizza cut in slices not squares, LOL! (funny how a little thing like that can stand out as "wrong," but I understand.) I loved Jets Pizza and Noble Roman's Pizza when I lived there. (although now that I think about it, the deep-dish at Noble Roman's, which is heaven-on-earth to me, is cut in squares.)

I don't know what you enjoy doing for fun, but here are some of the things I used to do there: Friday nights in the summers at Chateau Thomas winery in Plainfield, live music outside. Symphony on the Prairie up at Conner Prairie in Noblesville. Walk the canal in downtown, ride up to the top of the Soldiers and Sailors monument, tour Scottish Rite Cathedral, WWII Memorial, Indy zoo and White River Gardens. Museum of Art. Vogue Theater for concerts. Eagle Creek for hiking and picnicking. Ricks Boatyard Cafe on the weekend for good food and jazz music. Slippery Noodle Inn downtown for music and drinks. Carmel Arts District. State Fair. Day trip to Nashville Indiana (really pretty in fall) or Oliver Winery. There are golf courses, frisbee golf, cross-country skiing, (even downhill skiing on little hills in various parts of the state), softball, volleyball, etc teams to join, and of course pro sports Colts, Pacers, Ice, Indians.

I hope this helps, and don't hesitate to ask any questions you might have to help you make the best of your time in Indiana. Having moved around so much the past several years, I've learned that I have to jump in and learn what's available, to make friends, to make the most of each place we live. I think Indiana can be much better than how you now perceive it!! It would be a shame to waste the next two years of your life feeling like you're in "a prison."

Hugs, and good luck, from someone who will always be a friendly Hoosier-at-heart

Edited to add I just realized that your post didn't say you are in Indianapolis, but somehow I thought it did. So my suggestions of things to do in Indianapolis may be irrelevant.

Old 05-09-2013, 01:27 PM

4,970 posts, read 6,268,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
Edited to add I just realized that your post didn't say you are in Indianapolis, but somehow I thought it did. So my suggestions of things to do in Indianapolis may be irrelevant.
I just noticed that when you posted this. I guess it was in the Indianapolis forum so I just assumed they were talking about Indianapolis.

Old 05-09-2013, 02:31 PM

3,004 posts, read 5,150,626 times
[quote=Sulfate;29493282]
Quote:
Originally Posted by msamhunter View Post
Explains a lot. Still in hs. So what are those social norms that we just absorb from the media?

Expected, typical rebuttal when someone doesn't have an argument. Saying I'm naive and I don't know anything because I'm in high school, that is.

I apologize, I haven't conformed yet and have had not Indiana become my reality. Seems like people that grew up in Indiana and lived their entire life are afraid to say anything bad about it.

What I mean though, is that indiana lacks self identity, as we do in fact have few prominent bands, art, theatre, really cultural in all to call our own. Because of this, the youthful generation falls to common trends whether its music or shoes. This is why Indiana looks like the rest of corporate America.
Guess what, you are in high school under mommy. You don't know jack. I know teenagers think they know everything, the whole 15 going on 45. The remaining portion of your post doesn't make a lick of sense.

Old 05-09-2013, 02:56 PM

1,766 posts, read 3,606,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msamhunter View Post
Guess what, you are in high school under mommy. You don't know jack. I know teenagers think they know everything, the whole 15 going on 45. The remaining portion of your post doesn't make a lick of sense.
You're the one coming off as ignorant right now. I agree with everything his post said about most of Indiana. Indianapolis is a bit different and has a decent vibe and some culture, but it's the only city in Indiana that has either. I suppose Bloomington does too, but that can be largely attributed to its out of state college students.

Old 05-09-2013, 04:38 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,347,410 times
I find it interesting that a poster that often defends the resident, immature hs student now finds it appropriate to attack one.

Old 05-09-2013, 05:55 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,856,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
I find it interesting that a poster that often defends the resident, immature hs student now finds it appropriate to attack one.
So true! And this high school student appears to be much more mature then the resident student of this forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis