Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2013, 07:47 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,354,969 times

Advertisements

Indiana is a wasteland when it comes to lakes and boating....you might be better off to plan long weekends and go to the larger lakes in Kentucky.

Regards
Gemstone1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2013, 07:58 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,281,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
Indiana is a wasteland when it comes to lakes and boating....you might be better off to plan long weekends and go to the larger lakes in Kentucky.

Regards
Gemstone1
If you are planning a weekend trip, Michigan is a thousand times better than Kentucky. From my experience, Kentucky is no different from Indiana as far as boating opportunities. I guess that makes Kentucky a wasteland (said sarcastically, sort of, Louisville I love you).

Old 05-16-2013, 08:13 AM

261 posts, read 500,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
If you are planning a weekend trip, Michigan is a thousand times better than Kentucky. From my experience, Kentucky is no different from Indiana as far as boating opportunities. I guess that makes Kentucky a wasteland (said sarcastically, sort of, Louisville I love you).

I've only been to Lake Patoka in Indiana, but Dale Hallow (much of which is in Kentucky) and Barren River in Kentucky blow it out of the water. Kentucky also has the massive Lake Cumberland, Green River Lake State Park, and a couple other ones that I can't think of. Aside from Patoka, Indiana has Monroe and what else? Geist is pretty small looking. I've always been under the impression that Kentucky's lakes blow Indiana's out of the water.

Old 05-16-2013, 08:17 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,281,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by indy18 View Post
I've only been to Lake Patoka in Indiana, but Dale Hallow (much of which is in Kentucky) and Barren River in Kentucky blow it out of the water. Kentucky also has the massive Lake Cumberland, Green River Lake State Park, and a couple other ones that I can't think of. Aside from Patoka, Indiana has Monroe and what else? Geist is pretty small looking. I've always been under the impression that Kentucky's lakes blow Indiana's out of the water.
LBL is fun too in KY. But.............I've had just as much fun in Indiana's lakes and I've never had the impression that Kentucky was all that special. For my money, a weekend trip for lakes are in Michigan over Kentucky every time.

That does not really make it fact, and I am not arguing, though I know that is the nature of these forums these days. Too each his own.

Old 05-16-2013, 10:16 PM

2 posts, read 5,299 times
If you think Indiana is a wasteland for lakes and boating, you obviously haven't been to northern Indiana. Lagrange county has quite a few great lakes to go to. Obviously, though, these are not too close to Indianapolis.

Just to throw these in there Raccoon lake / Cecil M Harden Lake (which is actually a reservoir) isn't too far away, depending on where you live in Indianapolis. There's also Heritage lake, which I think allows speed boats. Summit Lake is also the east.

Quote:

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 05-16-2013, 10:21 PM

2 posts, read 5,299 times
I think how one rates lakes also depends on what they look for in a lake. Are you a skier who looks for really smooth waters? A partier who looks for entertainment? A fisher who looks for quiet waters?

Old 05-17-2013, 05:34 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,852,547 times
Unfortunately Geist and Morse get extremely crowded. I like to sail but on weekends Geist is like 465 with heavy sailboat traffic. Not the kind of relaxing boating that I enjoy.

I just take a 3 day weekend and head for Lake Michigan or Lake Erie. Portage is where I usually go, but if I have more time off I go to Lake Erie because I love going to the different islands.

This subject just came up at work, a new employee just relocated from Michigan and had asked about a lake to take her boat. Sometime recommended Lake Monroe so she went there Monday and came back saying that it was the worst excuse for a lake she had ever seen in her life.

I told her she should have seen Morse last summer when it was nothing but a mud hole with the docked boats completely out of water and sitting in mud.

Old 05-17-2013, 06:05 AM

4,970 posts, read 6,265,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
Unfortunately Geist and Morse get extremely crowded. I like to sail but on weekends Geist is like 465 with heavy sailboat traffic. Not the kind of relaxing boating that I enjoy.

I just take a 3 day weekend and head for Lake Michigan or Lake Erie. Portage is where I usually go, but if I have more time off I go to Lake Erie because I love going to the different islands.

This subject just came up at work, a new employee just relocated from Michigan and had asked about a lake to take her boat. Sometime recommended Lake Monroe so she went there Monday and came back saying that it was the worst excuse for a lake she had ever seen in her life.

I told her she should have seen Morse last summer when it was nothing but a mud hole with the docked boats completely out of water and sitting in mud.
This topic got me looking at it on Google Maps yesterday. Obviously they updated the images last summer because you can see how low it is and all the areas that are usually underwater that became fields of grass.

Old 05-17-2013, 09:16 PM

4,599 posts, read 6,354,969 times
Kentucky lakes aren't as large as Lake Michigan, Lake Erie, but they are good size, and don't have anywhere near the rough water that the Great Lakes can have. Just a couple:

Lake Barkley: 58,000 surface acres, 1000 miles of shoreline, 134 miles long
Kentucky Lake: 160,00 surface acres, 2300 miles of shoreline, 184 miles long.
Lake Cumberland: 65,530 surface acres, 1255 miles of shoreline 101 miles long, 9th largest lake in the US.

Kentucky Lakes

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 05-18-2013, 06:21 AM

3,892 posts, read 5,511,029 times
Quote:
Kentucky lakes aren't as large as Lake Michigan, Lake Erie, but they are good size, and don't have anywhere near the rough water that the Great Lakes can have. Just a couple:

Lake Barkley: 58,000 surface acres, 1000 miles of shoreline, 134 miles long
Kentucky Lake: 160,00 surface acres, 2300 miles of shoreline, 184 miles long.
Lake Cumberland: 65,530 surface acres, 1255 miles of shoreline 101 miles long, 9th largest lake in the US.

Kentucky Lakes

Regards
Gemstone1
knowing your location have you ever been too or lived in Indiana?
Oregon is quite a distance away to say you know anything about our state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis