Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2013, 05:44 AM

6,485 posts, read 12,537,659 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewthedru View Post
Load up on Vitners chips and Vienna Beef hot dogs before you move. I'm going back to the city soon and can't wait to replenish my stash of a bunch of items.

We enjoy living here but the grocery store leave a bit to be desired. My wife went to Meijer the other day and asked the lady at the deli for some prosciutto. Deli lady had no idea what that was.

*facepalm*

I miss my Caputos!!!!
People go to the Meijer deli in search of prosciutto??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2013, 08:05 AM

8,981 posts, read 17,294,566 times
Quote:
We enjoy living here but the grocery store leave a bit to be desired. My wife went to Meijer the other day and asked the lady at the deli for some prosciutto. Deli lady had no idea what that was.

*facepalm*

I miss my Caputos!!!!
Goose The Market

Old 06-22-2013, 08:45 AM

622 posts, read 1,197,005 times
Thanks for making my point. The fact that I have to go to a specialty place for it is frustrating.

And the sandwiches at Goose the Market are amazing.

Old 06-22-2013, 10:35 AM

8,981 posts, read 17,294,566 times
Quote:
Thanks for making my point. The fact that I have to go to a specialty place for it is frustrating.

And the sandwiches at Goose the Market are amazing.
I am not trying to help make anyone's point, I was trying to help you. Goose is not the only place I've bought prosciutto or any other special meat (if you can call it special) in Indianapolis. Noted, you probably know those places and don't need help from us dumb hoosiers. Have a nice afternoon.......

Old 06-22-2013, 01:37 PM

622 posts, read 1,197,005 times
Thank you for the suggestion. I do appreciate it.

I was trying to convey my frustration at my local grocery store not even knowing what an item is, not that I couldn't find it anywhere in the city.

I understand that this isn't Chicago and I actually really like Indy and Brownsburg. It's just the little things like the aforementioned item that make me miss Chicago.

Old 07-10-2013, 11:51 PM

1 posts, read 1,312 times
Another Chicagoan here moving to Indy! Very, very sad about leaving my beloved Chicago, but it's a good opportunity for the family (3 kids) and I'm a native Hoosier. Can I ask where you all ended up? (without reading all the posts, sorry) We are in Lakeview in the city and are looking at Carmel and Zionsville. I like the activity level of Carmel, but not the huge high school. We found a possible house in Zionsville (so many in Carmel seem to look the same), but now I'm afraid it's - for a lack of better words - too sleepy? Boring? Far from shopping, activities, etc? Any insight is appreciated!

Old 07-11-2013, 05:41 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,857,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagomama123 View Post
Another Chicagoan here moving to Indy! Very, very sad about leaving my beloved Chicago, but it's a good opportunity for the family (3 kids) and I'm a native Hoosier. Can I ask where you all ended up? (without reading all the posts, sorry) We are in Lakeview in the city and are looking at Carmel and Zionsville. I like the activity level of Carmel, but not the huge high school. We found a possible house in Zionsville (so many in Carmel seem to look the same), but now I'm afraid it's - for a lack of better words - too sleepy? Boring? Far from shopping, activities, etc? Any insight is appreciated!
I would highly recommend Carmel, but if you think the big school would be a problem take a look at Westfield. You can live in Westfield and be near everything Carmel has to offer. Westfield is also a very nice place to live and has very progressive plans for the future. I won't repeat everything that has already been posted but you can search here for both Carmel and Westfield and find plenty of information.

Old 07-12-2013, 09:19 PM

218 posts, read 462,798 times
Quote:
Thank you for the suggestion. I do appreciate it.

I was trying to convey my frustration at my local grocery store not even knowing what an item is, not that I couldn't find it anywhere in the city.

I understand that this isn't Chicago and I actually really like Indy and Brownsburg. It's just the little things like the aforementioned item that make me miss Chicago.
The majority of Americans don't know what prosciutto is.

This has nothing to do with it being Indy and everything to do with it being a Meijer. I'd be very surprised if you'd be able to get prosciutto at a Meijer in the outer Chicago suburbs--or that they'd know what it is either. You have to be in similar areas demographically--Oak Park is really much more like Butler Tarkington in Indy than it is like Avon. And I'd imagine the folks at that grocery store in SoBro (I'm blanking on the name) would know what prosciutto is, and would probably have it as well.

Old 07-12-2013, 09:23 PM

218 posts, read 462,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagomama123 View Post
Frankly, Zionsville will seem boring if you're coming from Lakeview. But then, so probably would Carmel. But both suburbs are nicer and have more of a walkable presence than, say, Avon or Center Grove or even Fishers. If you want to live in an area where you'll probably never see another soul as you're driving down the streets (and forget the idea of walking anywhere), then try those places.

If you're looking for the vibe of Chicago's Lakeview, you're not like to find it anywhere in Indy. Or most other Midwest cities, for that matter. But you might get a taste of it in Chatham Arch around Mass Ave. Or maybe in the Old Northside/Herron-Morton, though with a fraction of the bustle and a fair amount more crime. But a lot lower cost for housing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis