Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2013, 02:08 PM

19 posts, read 40,351 times

Advertisements

I guess I should change my username.

My wife and I are native Hoosiers. I'm originally from Frankfort and she is originally from Bloomington. We have been in the Chicago-land area for almost 14 years. We have lived in the city and we then moved to the urban suburb of Oak Park, IL three years ago. After college, Chicago was the city I wanted to be in and I wanted to live that big city lifestyle. I can honestly say it was a great decision. After marriage and kids, however, my wife and I found out that we didn't need the city.... so Oak Park it was. Needless to say, we have been extremely happy here in Oak Park for several reasons:

- Still feels urban but it is safe for a family (2 daughters, one on the way).
- We walk everywhere, weather permitting: to the pool, to the local library branch, to church, etc.
- Property taxes are a *****, but you get what you pay for which security, access to great public education etc.
- We don't have the "Chicago Transit Problem." We eliminated fighting traffic in our lives as we situated ourselves 10 minutes away from my wife's work (without having to get on the expressway) and I work from home. I work from home but if I have to get to the Loop I either drive or take the train. I have decent access to both Midway and O'Hare for travel. By the way, hopefully my employer agrees to keep me (that is the plan anyway) but if not any Indy career advice would be helpful!
- We love the Oak Park community spirit. Neighbors get to know each other and that is just the way it is.
- Great park district and great community activities: we went to the local farmers market this morning.
- Housing has character, which both my wife and I like. Personally, I don't care for the subdivision cul de sac housing stock, but we might have to go that route.
- People tend to be educated here.

In short, things are generally great here, but my wife has a great job opportunity with DOW Agrosciences (which we hear is a great place to work) and it's quite possibly the best career move for her at this time. My father is now having health issues and it would be nice to be closer to him. We know a lot of people in Indy and it will be easier to re-build our community and lives there as opposed to us moving to another part of the country (or world). It is starting to make sense for us to move and start on a new adventure.

Based on the above, can the community here lead me to understand where we might find some if not most of the above in the Indianapolis area? To be frank, we would want to be close to my wife's work. We have thought about Zionsville, possibly Carmel, and have even thought about the Eagle Creek area (although schools aren't as good, I hear in that area). Am I missing any other communities that might be of interest to us?

Please, no flame wars about which "city is better, Chicago or Indianapolis." Both have pro's and con's and it won't be necessary in this thread. I must admit that it willl be nice to pay lower taxes, to take advantage of two public big ten universities when the time comes (as opposed to only U of I) etc. etc. but I would rather avoid that type of discussion here.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2013, 03:15 PM

8,981 posts, read 17,297,321 times
I don't think Oak Park has much in common with Zionsville or Carmel from an intangible or built environment, but they are probably as close as you'll get in the Indy area. Pike is the school district in Eagle Creek, and it gets mixed reviews at best. I do have family in Pike, and they echo the "its ok" sentiment.

Old 05-18-2013, 03:18 PM

3,892 posts, read 5,516,023 times
Another Chicagoan coming to Indianapolis?
I've honestly lost count on how many Chicago to Indy moves I've seen.
Welcome to Indianapolis by the way

Old 05-18-2013, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
I don't think Oak Park has much in common with Zionsville or Carmel from an intangible or built environment, but they are probably as close as you'll get in the Indy area. Pike is the school district in Eagle Creek, and it gets mixed reviews at best. I do have family in Pike, and they echo the "its ok" sentiment.
How about "The Village" as the Zionsville "City Center" is known (as we have come to find out).

Old 05-18-2013, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
Another Chicagoan coming to Indianapolis?
I've honestly lost count on how many Chicago to Indy moves I've seen.
Welcome to Indianapolis by the way
Well... we would stay here if it wasn't for my wife's opportunity and my dad. We are not bitter at all being up here as we built our life the way we wanted to live it.

Since we now plan to do the same in Indy. Any advice?

thanks.

Old 05-18-2013, 04:54 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,738,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
between zionsville and the eagle creek area, Oak Park would loosely and I do mean loosely resember Zionsville in the little villagey downtown area.

don't mind BRG ... he thinks he's single handedly bringing all Chicagoans to Indiana.

Old 05-18-2013, 06:17 PM

3,892 posts, read 5,516,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
between zionsville and the eagle creek area, Oak Park would loosely and I do mean loosely resember Zionsville in the little villagey downtown area.

don't mind BRG ... he thinks he's single handedly bringing all Chicagoans to Indiana.
Charles Xavier is that you?
Please fire up your mind reading abilities and tell me what Obama is thinking

Old 05-19-2013, 05:56 AM

nope, not Charles Xavier ...

Old 05-19-2013, 07:39 AM

8,981 posts, read 17,297,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Considering Oak Park View Post
How about "The Village" as the Zionsville "City Center" is known (as we have come to find out).
The Village in Zionsville is a quaint little area you would expect to find in an small Indiana town. It is nice, but you'll never confuse it for Oak Park.

Old 05-19-2013, 12:34 PM

If you want/expect oak park in Indiana ... You'll be disappointed. Zionsville is suburban with a cute village in the middle. You'd have to go to some of the neighborhoods like meridian Kessler, Irvington etc to get a smidgen of the oak park vibe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis