Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2015, 11:25 AM

1,712 posts, read 3,079,006 times

Advertisements

So now I'm hearing that if the recent homicide rate stays steady, Indy will have the most homicides it has ever recorded.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2015, 03:20 PM

3,004 posts, read 5,151,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet_kinkaid View Post
indy is like west side story only scarier..imagine michael jacksons beat it video..with tough talking boys menacing people in the city.Only the street smart people can survive the grit of indianapolis.What indianapolis needs is a strong willed sherrif to brong law and order
Well sheriff role in the county very limited. It's impd and current chief no one has a problem with. Indy just like any other city. It has pockets and even in those pockets if you mind your business and not worry about anyone else you will be fine keeping in mind there is some crime of opportunity wherever you go.

Indy def not known for crime nationwide. Detroit, no, Baltimore, it is not, far from being them. Average suburbanite there, the moment you set foot within city limits, you're a goner but the fact is Indy is mostly suburban outside of center township.

Old 11-18-2015, 03:31 AM

31 posts, read 38,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ischyros View Post
Also people on City-Data in general, but it seems to especially prevalent in the Indy board, find anything they can to put cities down or make them look bad. I do find it strange that other city boards have questions about moving and relocated, but most of the topics in the Indy board are about how bad it is or how bad crime is or anything negative people can come up with about a place. There aren't any more negatives here than in any other big city.
I agree. Many of the comments here are truly laughable, if not pitiful. These people need to turn off the local news (or whatever screen they're glued to), get up, walk outside into the non-virtual world and actually look around. By obsessing on problems they only exaggerate and distort the trouble that always exists in the world, which makes them part of the problem!! How sad to miss the largely benign and generally okay world going on around them.

Last edited by Dakshina; 11-18-2015 at 03:40 AM..

Old 11-18-2015, 06:54 AM

1,556 posts, read 1,912,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakshina View Post
I agree. Many of the comments here are truly laughable, if not pitiful. These people need to turn off the local news (or whatever screen they're glued to), get up, walk outside into the non-virtual world and actually look around. By obsessing on problems they only exaggerate and distort the trouble that always exists in the world, which makes them part of the problem!! How sad to miss the largely benign and generally okay world going on around them.
Hamilton County suburbanites are the ones obsessing over Indy homicides. The concern should be centered on suicides. CDC list suicide as the 10th leading cause of death in the United States. Instead of harping about a bunch of criminals killing each other over drug disputes, their main concern should be why Johnny decided to blow his brains out. White male suicides has reached epidemic proportions yet nary word is mentioned in the press. The suicide rate is far worst than black on black murder rate. To repeat a popular Fox News catch phrase, "That's a topic the mainstream media will not talk about."

Leading causes of death:

Heart disease: 611,105
Cancer: 584,881
Chronic lower respiratory diseases: 149,205
Accidents (unintentional injuries): 130,557
Stroke (cerebrovascular diseases): 128,978
Alzheimer's disease: 84,767
Diabetes: 75,578
Influenza and Pneumonia: 56,979
Nephritis, nephrotic syndrome, and nephrosis: 47,112
Intentional self-harm (suicide): 41,149

Old 12-02-2015, 11:24 AM

23 posts, read 26,354 times
A lot of the crime wave stems from Chicago transplants. But for the Starbucks drinkers who are afraid to venture south of 86th street, random crime is unlikely. Most of the violence is between gang bangers who have a beef with one another and its limited to that for the most part. If you're not apart of that lifestyle I don't think you're at much of a risk and you have to be aware of your surroundings. Things like looking around when you're at the ATM and not looking like a target in general. My family has lived on 38th and Emerson since the 1960s and there hasn't been a single act of crime committed towards them.

Old 12-03-2015, 09:10 AM

1,766 posts, read 3,606,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DataEastJ View Post
A lot of the crime wave stems from Chicago transplants.
Can you provide any sources to back that up?

Old 12-04-2015, 02:18 PM

23 posts, read 26,354 times
Nope, who would have a data base on that? Its not completely speculation though. On the news you constantly here about victims from Chicago. The best source would be black migration from Chicago which I'm sure is documented somewhere. Crime picked up in Chicago a few years ago and since then we've had more people from Chicago move to Indianapolis. The city wasn't this bad in 2005.

Old 12-05-2015, 11:50 AM

1,766 posts, read 3,606,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DataEastJ View Post
Nope, who would have a data base on that? Its not completely speculation though. On the news you constantly here about victims from Chicago. The best source would be black migration from Chicago which I'm sure is documented somewhere. Crime picked up in Chicago a few years ago and since then we've had more people from Chicago move to Indianapolis. The city wasn't this bad in 2005.
Well you're wrong because I haven't noticed victims of crime being from Chicago on Indianapolis news stations. See how easy it is to refute an argument when you have absolutely no sources to back it up?

Old 12-05-2015, 02:49 PM

8,981 posts, read 17,294,566 times
The recent uptick in crime is a product of the heroin trade that has surged in Indy this year.

Source: The not one, not two, not three, but four different IMPD officers that have come to come to various near east side neighborhood events since summer to talk to residents.

Old 12-05-2015, 02:57 PM

3,004 posts, read 5,151,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wh15395 View Post
Well you're wrong because I haven't noticed victims of crime being from Chicago on Indianapolis news stations. See how easy it is to refute an argument when you have absolutely no sources to back it up?
Not really a refute there. Having an Indy address does not mean said perp is from Indy, they moved there. Secondly, its about the culture said people bring with them. There is def a Chicago/Gary influnce in Indy now among the poorer communities. Can anyone say with fact, no but those familiar with both areas and how Indy used to be tend to lean that way. It's a different beast up there and Indy young are trying to mimic it and starting to do a good job of it sadly.

Just from my own personal experience living in Indy when people found out I came from Gary and the reactions. The whole mantra of thinking every person in Gary is just stone cold and how Indy hoods had to be like that in order not to be considered soft. Granted, just my personal experience but outside influences does have merit and not just in Indy. Eventually, it will hit the burbs just like other cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis