Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2014, 06:47 PM

2,157 posts, read 5,493,927 times

Advertisements

I am just hearing about this development even though it has been a concept for several years now. Looking at the development plans, it appears like an excellent use of that land and would spur more redevelopment in the town core in years to come.

I have seen comments that people think this is trying to turn Brownsburg into Carmel but I don't see that. Carmel is not only redeveloping their downtown, but they also created almost a brand new downtown area with the Carmel City Center. I say almost because while it is close, it is not in downtown Carmel. This redevelopment project would be pretty much on the north end of downtown Brownsburg. Also, with the west suburbs mostly being sprawling subdivisions (although Plainfield has a sizable downtown), it is nice to see a redevelopment project such as this one. I hope that Avon encourages a project like this at some point as that town has no downtown area to speak of.

What do you all think about this project?

Brownsburg Town Center
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2014, 07:24 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,537,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwest Indiana View Post
I am just hearing about this development even though it has been a concept for several years now. Looking at the development plans, it appears like an excellent use of that land and would spur more redevelopment in the town core in years to come.

I have seen comments that people think this is trying to turn Brownsburg into Carmel but I don't see that. Carmel is not only redeveloping their downtown, but they also created almost a brand new downtown area with the Carmel City Center. I say almost because while it is close, it is not in downtown Carmel. This redevelopment project would be pretty much on the north end of downtown Brownsburg. Also, with the west suburbs mostly being sprawling subdivisions (although Plainfield has a sizable downtown), it is nice to see a redevelopment project such as this one. I hope that Avon encourages a project like this at some point as that town has no downtown area to speak of.

Brownsburg Town Center
Haters love to derisively gripe and moan about (insert suburb name) trying to be like Carmel. It's hard to argue against the quality of life Carmel has been developing, IMO.

Old 09-14-2014, 07:32 PM

2,157 posts, read 5,493,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
Haters love to derisively gripe and moan about (insert suburb name) trying to be like Carmel. It's hard to argue against the quality of life Carmel has been developing, IMO.
I think the funniest part is that whenever people complain about wanting to maintain the "small-town feel" of a SUBURB, they often live in new single-family subdivisions on the outskirts of town that directly contributed to the sprawl and growth of that town. This project is better at maintaining a small-town feel than the numbers of apartments and subdivisions being built in cornfields far away from the town center.

Old 09-16-2014, 10:57 AM

2,549 posts, read 3,981,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwest Indiana View Post

Brownsburg Town Center

I don't think any city has to strive to be like Carmel. There are many ways of being unique. Brownsburg like Avon, Greenwood and Plainfield all have plenty of potential to be uniquely successful. Plainfield has success with it's Metropolis despite having the other half of the parcel still under developed. If anything it seems that many areas are trying to be as vibrant because the many successful examples that downtown Indy made to the rest of the metro. At one time Carmel had hardly anything up there. Carmel thought..well, we want to have a successful downtown like Indy has so they built one. Of course, none of us will be around to see any one suburb be a St Paul to a Minneapolis. That takes decades and decades. Indy will always be the main center anchor of the metro in which all satellite suburbs gravitate around as it has for almost a few hundred years. What I would like to see more of in the suburbs are tall residential highrises like you see in places like Atlanta's Buckhead or in places like Toronto lined with street level amenities at the base of these buildings.

Old 09-16-2014, 02:01 PM

4,081 posts, read 3,606,367 times
I really like the architecture of the building! It doesn't look like a post-modern monstrosity that developers love to build these days.

Old 09-16-2014, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dequindre View Post
I really like the architecture of the building! It doesn't look like a post-modern monstrosity that developers love to build these days.
Yes, the lay out is nice. Brownsburg will have a nice town center along with Plainfield having Metropolis. It's good to see new projects on the west side of the metro. I would also like see Avon create something as well rather it be another city center or another version of Metropolis where people can walk around outside.

Old 09-16-2014, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanologist View Post
Yes, the lay out is nice. Brownsburg will have a nice town center along with Plainfield having Metropolis. It's good to see new projects on the west side of the metro. I would also like see Avon create something as well rather it be another city center or another version of Metropolis where people can walk around outside.
Has there been any new development plans presented for Metropolis? After its developer went bankrupt, it seems like all development abruptly stopped. That's a real shame considering how interesting a development Metropolis is.

Old 09-16-2014, 02:48 PM

19 posts, read 29,752 times
Brownsburg has a lot of potential as a town, the trick will be turning that potential into something quality. Their downtown really needs some updating, they have a couple of old out of date brick buildings and that's about it. It does not take Carmel money to have a nice unique small town charm. To me personally, Carmel is nothing special. I have seen towns that have a lot less money and look much better. Bloomington town center is what these smaller towns should aim for. It's a little urban town center filled with restaurants, shopping, apartments, art. That's all it takes, making it a little lively. If you take a town in Germany for example with 30,000 people and take a town in Indiana for example with 30,000 people, our towns are ghost towns compared to theirs.

Here is a town in Germany with 16,000 people and a picture of how the downtown looks typically all day. http://www.stadtmagazin-bad-segeberg...egeberg-01.jpg

Old 09-17-2014, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dequindre View Post
Has there been any new development plans presented for Metropolis? After its developer went bankrupt, it seems like all development abruptly stopped. That's a real shame considering how interesting a development Metropolis is.
A new developer owner from Memphis has just purchased the property this year. It seem they are looking at planning and developing the 2nd half of the property to expand Metropolis. I hope all goes well. It will be interesting to see what he has in mind. There's is too much invested to see it go to waste. Source: Memphis company Poag buys Metropolis mall in Plainfield

Here's the new owner's website showcasing their other developments. > Poag Shopping Centers

Old 09-17-2014, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanologist View Post
A new developer owner from Memphis has just purchased the property this year. It seem they are looking at planning and developing the 2nd half of the property to expand Metropolis. I hope all goes well. It will be interesting to see what he has in mind. There's is too much invested to see it go to waste. Source: Memphis company Poag buys Metropolis mall in Plainfield

Here's the new owner's website showcasing their other developments. > Poag Shopping Centers
That's good to hear! There seems to be a lot of out lots ready to be developed too, so hopefully they can take advantage of those.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis