Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2019, 04:02 PM

107 posts, read 107,723 times

Advertisements

I am thinking of relocating to Indy from Reno, NV in the next year. I don't know much about the area yet as I am still researching. I wanted advice on areas to look at when I get there to scope things out. I will be renting (apartment/condo) for a while before I buy a house. I would like a safe, affordable and decently walkable area (not a long commute). Looking to keep rent as far under $800 per month as possible (for a studio or 1-bedroom) without compromising too much, so I can save for a house later.

I am an empty-nester/spinster in mid-forties, single white female, with a professional job and bachelor's degree. I am not affluent but middle class ($50K per year salary range) but pretty frugal so like to save money wherever I can. I don't want to be out in the suburbs with families or in the middle of 20somethings party paradise. Any ideas and input on where I should start looking?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2019, 04:32 AM

5,977 posts, read 7,373,473 times
You just identified two of the larger demographics in the area. Rather than identify where you *don't* want to be, how's about identifying where you *do* want to be? You've ruled out much of the area at this point. If you don't like being around families or younger people, you might want to stay in Reno.

However, being very familiar with Reno (I used to own property at Lake Tahoe and in Virginia City and spent a fair amount of time in the area) I can totally understand why you want to move. That being said, things like culture, climate and geography are going to be radically different, as will the people.

RM

Old 10-29-2019, 08:32 AM

174 posts, read 244,041 times
You said not a long commute, but if you could specify to where that commute will be would help in narrowing things down. Commute to downtown would be different (longer or shorter) than a commute to the airport or Keystone depending on the neighborhood you decide on.

Based on what you are mentioning though I would look at more of the areas on the rise and gentrifying close to downtown. Many of the homes in neighborhoods close to downtown like Old Northside, Kennedy-King, Woodruff Place, Fletcher Place, Fountain Square, Herron-Morton and Fall Creek Place are people in their 40s with no kids or empty nesters (typically). They have settled in these more gentrified areas as they want a similar lifestyle to you. They don't want to be around families as much and not too close to the younger, party scenes, but close enough to Mass Ave, Downtown and other areas that they might like to go out to eat at or socialize that are within walking or quick ride to. Most of these homes have very small to non-existent yards that don't need taken care of as much or less work to maintain. Some parts of these neighborhoods may look rough, but many again are changing and are still safe. I know others that live in these areas and have never dealt with any crime or other issues. Most of these are fairly close to walkable entertainment, grocery, or other options (in comparison to most downtown neighborhoods without being suburb).

I do not know rents in these areas and there aren't nearly as many apartment options, mostly homes to rent. Or apartments (at least nicer ones) that are in that area typically run upwards of $1,000. So if you want cheaper you will probably be looking at something that is safe, but maybe not as nice or have to look further out towards the suburbs. One of my friends lives in these apartments: https://www.apartments.com/1450-n-co...is-in/egjhdwp/ As I said maybe not as nice as the newer stuff, they don't seem terrible on inside, but definitely depends on what your definition of nice and acceptable are. It does have a fenced in parking with keycard, but no real other amenities like some apartment complexes. These are close to a Kroger, close to Mass Ave when you do want restaurants, wineries, breweries, or just something else. For the cheaper apartments these are more like what you will find. Again there are some newer ones, but they will be over $800 typically. The area is gentrifying and he's never had any issues with crime or other things. I believe for a 1 bedroom he is paying something like $680 a month. Again I share this just so you realize that there won't be lots of options for newer apartments in the $800 range and what you can expect apartments to be like. Most of this area will be homes to rent.

Now again if you look further out closer to the suburbs, but maybe not quite in them you'll probably find ones in your price range. Again alot depends on what side of town you want to be in. Based on your descriptions, IMO closer to downtown is probably best for you to look. If you are willing to give it wiggle room on being further from downtown (less walkable) than you'll have more range for finding apartments that fit your criteria.

Also when you start to look into homes also look into NEAR (Near Eastside Area Renewal) Homes - NEAR Indy and other companies similar to that. They are either refurbishing old, abandoned homes or building on vacant lots newer homes that are typically in the more affordable range. They also work with credit and financing to help make these a reality without as much downpayment. Click on a picture of a home they've sold or is available and it will tell you maximum income allowed to buy. Not saying you can't afford something outright without this assistance, but with the area gentrifying these are typically still really nice homes that aren't quite as expensive as independently refurbished homes in these areas.

Sorry if it's a lot or not helpful, but just my thoughts based on what you provided.

Old 10-29-2019, 09:03 AM

8,978 posts, read 17,284,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestsideMac View Post
Based on what you are mentioning though I would look at more of the areas on the rise and gentrifying close to downtown. Many of the homes in neighborhoods close to downtown like Old Northside, Kennedy-King, Woodruff Place, Fletcher Place, Fountain Square, Herron-Morton and Fall Creek Place are people in their 40s with no kids or empty nesters (typically). They have settled in these more gentrified areas as they want a similar lifestyle to you. They don't want to be around families as much and not too close to the younger, party
No doubt, people like you have described live in those neighborhoods. You know who else does? Families. Young people. Dinks in their 20a and 30s.

I have kids, we live in the city, and we know families in each of the neighborhoods you listed. Old Northside is home to one of the biggest kid soccer leagues in the city.

People who want to move to the city to avoid families can get bent.

Old 10-29-2019, 11:29 AM

174 posts, read 244,041 times
I'm not saying there aren't families. Yes, you are right, I know that families live in those areas...HOWEVER...compared to the suburbs though there is a far higher rate of single people in those areas. 100%? No, obviously.

They asked for non-suburb areas. They probably didn't put it so eloquently, but I'm sure they are thinking of the suburbs not necessarily to avoid families and kids, but more of a location where they are more likely to meet people their age with similar lifestyle. Whether right or not, most people think of the suburbs as planning and developing things based around what families need/want in their community. Having programs geared only towards young families. I know that is not the case based on my own community, as most suburbs try to develop for ALL constituents, but that's not always the perspective others see.

I have kids. I have friends who do not have kids. While we still meet up and enjoy each other's company, our priorities are different. They would not enjoy living in Brownsburg because they want to be closer to the amenities downtown and other areas provide. Most suburbs are not as walkable as areas closer to downtown Indy, unless you live in the city center of a suburb (not all have this).

I listed areas that yes have families, there are plenty of schools, sports leagues, etc in those areas, but also have a higher propensity for single/empty nesters. Most of my friends that do not have kids live in the neighborhoods I listed. Doesn't mean there aren't families there just many empty nesters/single families in comparison to suburbs. Most of our friends with kids live in neighborhoods in suburbs and those neighborhoods are majority families with kids. I know there are exceptions, but again I think it's all about perceptions and what people value or think they have a better chance of meeting people they can befriend more easily due to similar lifestyles. Same with I have friends who live close to or in Broad Ripple and while there is plenty to do it's definitely more of a younger club scene in comparison to Mass Ave. Just like South Meridian is where most of the clubs are is a younger crowd compared to Mass Ave. I also think neighborhoods in that are are more cut off and less walkable in comparison to those I listed when trying to get to entertainment options.

Old 10-29-2019, 11:42 AM

89 posts, read 113,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelerUSA45 View Post
I am thinking of relocating to Indy from Reno, NV in the next year. I don't know much about the area yet as I am still researching. I wanted advice on areas to look at when I get there to scope things out. I will be renting (apartment/condo) for a while before I buy a house. I would like a safe, affordable and decently walkable area (not a long commute). Looking to keep rent as far under $800 per month as possible (for a studio or 1-bedroom) without compromising too much, so I can save for a house later.

I am an empty-nester/spinster in mid-forties, single white female, with a professional job and bachelor's degree. I am not affluent but middle class ($50K per year salary range) but pretty frugal so like to save money wherever I can. I don't want to be out in the suburbs with families or in the middle of 20somethings party paradise. Any ideas and input on where I should start looking?

Mile Square or fountain square should meet your needs

https://www.apartments.com/downtown-...-in/under-900/

side note> how beautiful is this place?

https://www.apartments.com/lockefiel...is-in/19jndn4/

Old 10-29-2019, 04:51 PM

8,978 posts, read 17,284,870 times
Quote:
I'm not saying there aren't families. Yes, you are right, I know that families live in those areas...HOWEVER...compared to the suburbs though there is a far higher rate of single people in those areas. 100%? No, obviously.

They asked for non-suburb areas. They probably didn't put it so eloquently, but I'm sure they are thinking of the suburbs not necessarily to avoid families and kids, but more of a location where they are more likely to meet people their age with similar lifestyle. Whether right or not, most people think of the suburbs as planning and developing things based around what families need/want in their community. Having programs geared only towards young families. I know that is not the case based on my own community, as most suburbs try to develop for ALL constituents, but that's not always the perspective others see.
1) There are people who live in the burbs because they like the amenities and atmosphere. There are a lot of empty nesters in Center City Carmel. I know DINKS in Avon who live out there to be near siblings. There are all kinds of reasons people might choose to live in the suburbs that have nothing to do with kids and families.

2) There have been two restaurant openings recently, one in Fall Creek Place and one on East 10th Street, where a sizable reaction to their opening was anger. Why? Because these people don't want to be bothered by kids and families. This is just one example of people out right stating they live in the city to avoid families.

So yes, people who move to the city under the guise of avoiding families can 100% get bent.

Old 10-29-2019, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
1) There are people who live in the burbs because they like the amenities and atmosphere. There are a lot of empty nesters in Center City Carmel. I know DINKS in Avon who live out there to be near siblings. There are all kinds of reasons people might choose to live in the suburbs that have nothing to do with kids and families.

2) There have been two restaurant openings recently, one in Fall Creek Place and one on East 10th Street, where a sizable reaction to their opening was anger. Why? Because these people don't want to be bothered by kids and families. This is just one example of people out right stating they live in the city to avoid families.

So yes, people who move to the city under the guise of avoiding families can 100% get bent.
Stop with your baseless assumptions, and please no longer comment on my posts. Your input has not been helpful. I never said I wanted to avoid families. I have no need to worry about a big house or school zones since I will be living alone. I prefer a more urban lifestyle than a soccer mom one since I have no children.

Old 10-29-2019, 05:07 PM

Quote:

Based on what you are mentioning though I would look at more of the areas on the rise and gentrifying close to downtown. Many of the homes in neighborhoods close to downtown like Old Northside, Kennedy-King, Woodruff Place, Fletcher Place, Fountain Square, Herron-Morton and Fall Creek Place are people in their 40s with no kids or empty nesters (typically). They have settled in these more gentrified areas as they want a similar lifestyle to you. They don't want to be around families as much and not too close to the younger, party scenes, but close enough to Mass Ave, Downtown and other areas that they might like to go out to eat at or socialize that are within walking or quick ride to. Most of these homes have very small to non-existent yards that don't need taken care of as much or less work to maintain. Some parts of these neighborhoods may look rough, but many again are changing and are still safe. I know others that live in these areas and have never dealt with any crime or other issues. Most of these are fairly close to walkable entertainment, grocery, or other options (in comparison to most downtown neighborhoods without being suburb).

I do not know rents in these areas and there aren't nearly as many apartment options, mostly homes to rent. Or apartments (at least nicer ones) that are in that area typically run upwards of $1,000. So if you want cheaper you will probably be looking at something that is safe, but maybe not as nice or have to look further out towards the suburbs. One of my friends lives in these apartments: https://www.apartments.com/1450-n-co...is-in/egjhdwp/ As I said maybe not as nice as the newer stuff, they don't seem terrible on inside, but definitely depends on what your definition of nice and acceptable are. It does have a fenced in parking with keycard, but no real other amenities like some apartment complexes. These are close to a Kroger, close to Mass Ave when you do want restaurants, wineries, breweries, or just something else. For the cheaper apartments these are more like what you will find. Again there are some newer ones, but they will be over $800 typically. The area is gentrifying and he's never had any issues with crime or other things. I believe for a 1 bedroom he is paying something like $680 a month. Again I share this just so you realize that there won't be lots of options for newer apartments in the $800 range and what you can expect apartments to be like. Most of this area will be homes to rent.

Now again if you look further out closer to the suburbs, but maybe not quite in them you'll probably find ones in your price range. Again alot depends on what side of town you want to be in. Based on your descriptions, IMO closer to downtown is probably best for you to look. If you are willing to give it wiggle room on being further from downtown (less walkable) than you'll have more range for finding apartments that fit your criteria.

Also when you start to look into homes also look into NEAR (Near Eastside Area Renewal) Homes - NEAR Indy and other companies similar to that. They are either refurbishing old, abandoned homes or building on vacant lots newer homes that are typically in the more affordable range. They also work with credit and financing to help make these a reality without as much downpayment. Click on a picture of a home they've sold or is available and it will tell you maximum income allowed to buy. Not saying you can't afford something outright without this assistance, but with the area gentrifying these are typically still really nice homes that aren't quite as expensive as independently refurbished homes in these areas.

Sorry if it's a lot or not helpful, but just my thoughts based on what you provided.
Thank you, this is all very helpful. I will start my search in those areas. Thanks for the info!

Old 10-30-2019, 03:24 PM

13 posts, read 12,234 times
I know Indy very well. Look at Garfield Park. My GF is a SWF in her mid 40s renting there, alone, and says she will never leave. She is near the library, tube factory, museum, conservatory and sunken gardens. If new construction were available there then I'd be looking at it for a move. Irvington is another great neighborhood with the Par 10 neighborhood being the most desirable. You'll want walkability to Washington Street and the park. The other neighborhood that would be safe for a single woman is Speedway, where the famous Indy 500 takes place. You'll want to be near Main Street for all of the eateries and shops. If you want to give up a little walkability to very cool things, but still have walkability to some eateries and salons, then check out the apartments on W Fall Creek Pkwy South Drive. There are 5 privately owned quad apartments (4 units each) there and rents are fairly low. I used to own a beautiful house on this block and the crime there is very low, and you'll have a beautiful view of the Fall Creek and the college and other buildings across the creek -- I wished that I had not moved from there! Your frugal rent budget is likely not going to open up the downtown neighborhoods to you. But if you want to up the ante then check out Old Northside and Heron Morton and Lockerbie Square. These are very upscale neighborhoods but maybe you can get a small apartment above a carriage house. Be very careful where you rent in the city. There are some neighborhoods that have high crime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis