Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 10:57 AM

10 posts, read 26,073 times

Advertisements

Eastern Star the best church in town
10:45am service at 73rd and 465, will be building closer this year or
noon service on east 30th st. main campus

also, Plainfield isnt the best or worst. Depends on your situation more than anything.
I am sorry about the looks you get. You cant take white people anywhere. Calm down people, Im white, moisten up your dry humor. My family very diverse, we get looks all over town so dont take it personal. Some people are stuck in black and white.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2008, 11:05 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,734,665 times
Isn't there an Eastern Star church in Fishers too?

Old 02-28-2008, 11:49 AM

10 posts, read 26,073 times
Yeah service @ 8:30am, never up that early. forgot

Old 03-05-2008, 07:14 AM

2 posts, read 4,033 times
Flyingguy26, If you are moving for work at the airport here, Plainfield is perfect. It sits right on airport property on the east end of town. 6 minutes to the airport. I have lived here for years and love it. It's a great place to raise kids, crime is not bad, the police dept takes much pride in keeping out the thugs and violence. If you're into fitness, there is a great fitness center here on the west end in the old historical part of town and about a mile north. Beautiful trails, bicycle access, parks and the beautiful Metropolis Mall. For the better part of it, the people here are very nice.
Best of luck, D

Old 03-05-2008, 07:29 AM

2 posts, read 4,033 times
Lady T, Welcome To Plainfield...You get "THOSE LOOKS" everywhere you go. It isn't just here in Plainfield. I have a very good friend here who is black and hang out with him all the time and never get any looks of a bad kind from the people here. If they do give us bad looks, I don't pay any attention to them. There are more blacks in Plainfield than people know about. There are 3 families just within a 3 blocks of me. I live in the old part of town called the "Historical Part" I've lived here for years and raised around this community and for the good part of it, everyone has been nice. Sure, you get your 1 or 2 % of those who think they have to make a scene, but the majority are really decent and very nice. Best of luck to you here. Dawn

Old 07-06-2008, 03:36 AM

2 posts, read 8,550 times
Lady T, I experienced the same thing. I'm from West Coast of Michigan, small city near Grand Rapids, transferred via my job to Irving Texas back in the 80's (pioneering there too), then to Indy for promotion 2002. I found myself living in the really nice and safe area I requested called Carmel which was important to me since I figured I was moving to a metropolis like Dallas. Lady T, I could tell you some stories that YOU probably would believe since you are living in Plainfield. I need to write a book about my expences living in these 3 states. I would like to say that I met a guy created just for me in Indy and got engaged to him after I moved back to Texas in 2006 so I'm now back in Indy again this time really experiencing the city and not just the northern suburbs. (there were many great services in carmel that I missed after leaving the city..it has the best of everthing for it's residents and many times I slept with my door unlocked). I took a visting friend to a resturant in Carmel and we experienced the same as you with people staring but some responded to our smiles and were friendly and smiled back in 2004. The service was wonderful but the waiter kindly asked my friend what was our special occasion as if we needed a special occasion to eat there. My friend and I both laugh and I told him...this is heartland america (sort of) and be ready to introduce people you meet to Blacks folks who really got it going on because they truly haven't seen exposed to many even though there are many "super dupers" in the City but most of the real ones are in disguise and hide their prosperity. Find a church home but be ready to enjoy the black people experience..there is always one heck of an experience in these type of conditions. Remember... 1. it's not you and 2. you are pioneering. always say Ok Lord..thanks for the experience know that it will one day come in handy.
3. Have fun with it Lady T. I am.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis