Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2009, 10:56 AM

399 posts, read 1,549,952 times

Advertisements

Now, no jokes! I was born and raised in Fort Wayne, but have spent the past ten years out and about in Hawaii, Key West, and now in Denver. But I am not feeling Denver. It's not the friendly mountain and outdoor place I thought it would be...(idealistic, I'll admit) And it's real expensive. To put it in less discriminating perspectives, my family all is still in Fort Wayne, and it would be nice to live closer to them.

So here's the rub...I am in Denver, but have a chance to move to INDY...I would like to know the selling points. My sister lives in Carmel right now, and I have friends in the area, which would be a plus, cause the low pay in Denver right now has drained me down to near homelessness in the four months that I have moved here. As much as I love the view of the Front Range, common sense is telling me "Nobody says you can't go home."

Also, my family is getting older, and maybe it's just cause I am too, but I am wanting to be closer to them. It's been 9, almost 10 years...I'm feeling the burn of being a couple of hours away versus a couple of days being a good thing. After living in Hawaii and around though, I have become a lot more open-minded than I ever was, and although Fort Wayne is slowly turning around, it's going to take time! How's Indy on that regard?

To all of you wishing you didn't live in Indiana, one thing I will tell you. When you go around the country and see different cities, the respect and admiration, politeness, and general people friendliness of the Midwest is truly appreciated, and often times rare...Treasure that quality, cause that is one thing I notice about Indiana every time I come back, it's still there. Not ALL of us have it, but it's a gift, and people like it everywhere!

So I guess now the decision I need "sold" on is whether I try to continue to build a life in the Front Range, or pack up and head on home...though I will tremendously miss the mountains, Asheville's only 7 hours away!

Thanks in advance for your time and consideration. Sometimes following your dreams has you retracing your footsteps in the reverse direction!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2009, 02:52 PM

1,099 posts, read 3,736,533 times
In my life, we have moved around quite a bit. I grew up in Indiana, went away to college in Missouri, then back to Terre Haute, then Fort Wayne, then off to Virginia, Alabama and finally back home to Indy. Other than living right by the ocean in Virginia, this is definitely my very favorite place to be. Things are way less expensive, people are friendly, schools are good, I have built a good business, my husband is happy in his job, it is everything I wanted for my family.

I also understand what you mean about being near family, I am only about 2-3 hours from a lot of my family in the Chicago area, and it feels good to know I can see them.

I think that what you need is to look inside for your answer, not to be convinced by a bunch of strangers.

Old 01-30-2009, 11:59 PM

2,247 posts, read 7,029,877 times
Come home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis