Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 12:19 PM

201 posts, read 905,776 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hapaleeretired View Post
We left Perry Twp. two years ago upon retirement. We did most of our shopping in Greenwood. We loved the Indianapolis area. It was big enough without being TOO big. Greenwood would be an excellent choice in my humble opinion.
Forget about all that "southern hospitality" crap. You will be pleasantly surprised by the friendliness of the midwest. That is what we miss the most (besides Gray's and Ritters).

There is no such thing as "southern hospitality". I have lived in the south most of my life, and the only difference between northern and southern people, is that nothern people stab you in the front, southern people stab you in the back.

My dad is from Missouri, and I always thought the midwest looked real "homey" and full of nice little communities. Thats on top of the fact that its the only region that remains remotely affordable in the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2007, 12:23 PM

By the way.

Has anyone taken secondary roads from Greenwood to downtown Indianapolis? About how long does that take?

Old 05-08-2007, 12:44 PM

12 posts, read 73,216 times
There aren't really any secondary roads. I 65, US 31, SR 135, all about the same. Madison Ave might be considered secondary, but it parallels US 31 for most of the way, and then joins it.

Old 05-08-2007, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzmadmike View Post
There aren't really any secondary roads. I 65, US 31, SR 135, all about the same. Madison Ave might be considered secondary, but it parallels US 31 for most of the way, and then joins it.

Is 31 kind of like a normal road, or is it a "highway". For instance, here in Virginia Beach, sometimes Virginia Beach Blvd is referred to as "58" even though its pretty much just an 8-10 lane major secondary.

If it is just a road, how long does it take to go up that to downtown Indianapolis?

Old 05-08-2007, 07:13 PM

3,681 posts, read 9,056,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lethal_Poison View Post
There is no such thing as "southern hospitality". I have lived in the south most of my life, and the only difference between northern and southern people, is that nothern people stab you in the front, southern people stab you in the back.

My dad is from Missouri, and I always thought the midwest looked real "homey" and full of nice little communities. Thats on top of the fact that its the only region that remains remotely affordable in the country.
There is good people and bad people everywhere, North...South...East.....West.... or whatever. You can't just generalize a whole group of people. Midwest has its own share of back stabbers as anywhere else including the south.

Old 05-08-2007, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lethal_Poison View Post
Is 31 kind of like a normal road, or is it a "highway". For instance, here in Virginia Beach, sometimes Virginia Beach Blvd is referred to as "58" even though its pretty much just an 8-10 lane major secondary.

If it is just a road, how long does it take to go up that to downtown Indianapolis?
All are at least 4 lanes. 31 and 135 are major thoroughfares. Madison not so much. Distance to downtown Indy on any of them (including the freeway, which is a bit of a detour) is about 20 minutes regardless of time of day, though I suppose it might hit 30 during peak rush hour--I work right here at this desk so my commute is ten seconds

Old 04-02-2008, 10:46 PM

23 posts, read 66,986 times
Greenwood is a safe little town. I live on Main St. From here I can be at several little quaint restaurants in minutes, none of which are chains. There is mexican, chinese, indian, greek, thai, italian. Soon a japanese place will open in what used to be an old house. Also there is a brewpub. I can walk to many of these places. During summer I can walk to two produce stands. As someone mentioned, there are many churches. People go to the one they want, or they don't go, but I have never had anyone try to influence me in any way or at any time about religion here. Indiana has some very, very affordable houses. I used to live in Broad Ripple. There is where you will find the nightlife, and an abundance of restaurants. It is about 30 minutes from Greenwood, and now that I am older I don't need to have an area that attracts mostly a 20's crowd in my backyard. Today it was fairly warm out, and at about 5:30 pm I took a walk with the dog, I started down the street by the house, and ran into about 30 people doing the same thing. I ran into people running and walking, ages from teens to people that were in their 80's at least. Downtown Greenwood is small, but there are many neighborhoods around Greenwood, mostly I think Greenwood could be described as safe. From Main St. you can be on I-65 in minutes. Mrs. Curl ice cream is an old-fashioned summertime establishment that is great to stroll to on a hot humid hoosier evening.

Old 04-03-2008, 09:03 AM

However, some of the Indy crime is spilling over--the other night, we had a laptop, iPod and flashlight (a Streamlight, not a cheap one) taken from our car, in the driveway.

Yeah, it was unlocked, but why is someone going up people's driveways and opening their cars?

However, GPD IS following up, unlike IPD who write a report and forget about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis