Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 10:30 PM

7 posts, read 15,434 times

Advertisements

Hi there hoosiers! I am a guy from Seattle, Washington, and was wondering if anybody can give me insights on the lifestyle of living in Indianapolis versus Omaha, NE.

I am looking at two school, one of them being Butler's pharmacy program.

I have been to Indianapolis two times - once for my interview, and another time to visit a friend of mine attending IU-Bloomington.

To me, Indianapolis seems like a "bigger city" compared to Omaha.
How bad does traffic here get during the rush hours? I laughed at my friend who told me that there are rush hours in Indy. But when I drove near the I-465/I-69 interchange, I was shocked.

I am also a Korean-American guy. How will I fit in with the ethnic/racial makeup here in Indy? A friend of mine said that some of the white/caucasian students in his class don't even talk to him, and some of his instructors don't respond to his emails.

Are there any good Korean restaurants in the Indy area? I didn't even have time to look this up when I came here for my interview. I know there is a Korean restaurant in Bloomington near IU's campus.

I know Indianapolis isn't as "liberal" as Seattle. But how conservative are the people here?

Let me know what your guys' opinions are between Omaha and Indianapolis, or even comparison between Seattle and naptown. thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2009, 07:01 AM

8,983 posts, read 17,308,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamGyup77 View Post
To me, Indianapolis seems like a "bigger city" compared to Omaha.
How bad does traffic here get during the rush hours? I laughed at my friend who told me that there are rush hours in Indy. But when I drove near the I-465/I-69 interchange, I was shocked.
Yes, Indianapolis does have traffic. It is not as bad as places like Chicago, but it does exist. I drive from downtown Indy to Castleton (NE corner of Indy) every day, and while I rarely encountre anything other than high traffic volume (I reverse commute), the opposite direction is frequently crawling bumper to bumper. It varies day to day though, some days I see no crawling, some days 465 is at a stand still between 69 and 70; and likewise 70 between 465 and downtown.

Quote:
I am also a Korean-American guy. How will I fit in with the ethnic/racial makeup here in Indy? A friend of mine said that some of the white/caucasian students in his class don't even talk to him, and some of his instructors don't respond to his emails.
I would be very surprised if this is true, or motivated by ethnic makeup.

Quote:
Are there any good Korean restaurants in the Indy area?
Ma Ma's House on Pendelton Pike. It is tiny. There is another one on Pendleton Pike as well, never been.

Quote:
I know Indianapolis isn't as "liberal" as Seattle. But how conservative are the people here?
The whole liberal/conservative thing is overrated IMO. There are very, very liberal people in Indianapolis. There are also very, very conservative people here too. I guess overall Indianapolis is not a bastion of liberal; but as a fairly liberal person who has lived in places much more conservative than Indy; I have never noticed an overriding conservative attitude here. Of course, I don't (and never have) live out in the 'burbs, where I am told it is very, very conservative.

Last edited by Toxic Toast; 07-13-2009 at 07:13 AM..

Old 07-13-2009, 09:30 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,750,808 times
When we lived in the burbs of Indy, I never encountered outright disdain from my conservative brothers and sisters. What I found is that political attitudes were very hush hush.

I'm not sure about nebraska's pharm school, but Butler's is very well regarded.

As for the rest, I concur with Toast ...

Old 07-13-2009, 09:42 AM

2,156 posts, read 11,157,433 times
I've eaten at Ma Ma's House on Pendleton Pike a few times and the food there was pretty good. It is fun cooking your own meat and chicken at your table. However I don't particularly like the neighborhood around there. To me it's 'robbery alley'.

Just a couple of weeks ago a strip club on Pendleton Pike near Ma Ma's House was robbed during broad daylight. Robbers came in and sprayed the place with bullets firing their AK-47's. Indeed, it can be an exciting adventure dining or going to a strip club on Pendleton Pike.

Last edited by Southside Shrek; 07-13-2009 at 09:52 AM.. Reason: add

Old 07-13-2009, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
Yes, Indianapolis does have traffic. It is not as bad as places like Chicago, but it does exist. I drive from downtown Indy to Castleton (NE corner of Indy) every day, and while I rarely encountre anything other than high traffic volume (I reverse commute), the opposite direction is frequently crawling bumper to bumper. It varies day to day though, some days I see no crawling, some days 465 is at a stand still between 69 and 70; and likewise 70 between 465 and downtown.
The freeway area near the I-465 and I-69 was packed while my friend and I drove to a restaurant in Fishers. Reminded me of ugly nasty traffic when I used to live in L.A. But that was during rush hour, 5:30PM, while we were making our way up to Fishers.

Quote:
Ma Ma's House on Pendelton Pike. It is tiny. There is another one on Pendleton Pike as well, never been.
I know of Mama's restaurant. Then there is Bando restaurant too. I have never eaten at either restaurant. But I guess those are the only two Korean restaurants in Indy, right?

Quote:
The whole liberal/conservative thing is overrated IMO. There are very, very liberal people in Indianapolis. There are also very, very conservative people here too. I guess overall Indianapolis is not a bastion of liberal; but as a fairly liberal person who has lived in places much more conservative than Indy; I have never noticed an overriding conservative attitude here. Of course, I don't (and never have) live out in the 'burbs, where I am told it is very, very conservative.
Despite Seattle being a liberal city, sometimes too liberal, I am not a liberal person. I'm more of a moderate person, sometimes leaning more on the conservative side of things. Of course, the way my parents brought me up with the Asian culture is more conservative thinking.

However, I have been to places in Texas where people tend to think in ignorant terms, and ask me questions such as if I am from China, etc.

Old 07-13-2009, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
When we lived in the burbs of Indy, I never encountered outright disdain from my conservative brothers and sisters. What I found is that political attitudes were very hush hush.

I'm not sure about nebraska's pharm school, but Butler's is very well regarded.

As for the rest, I concur with Toast ...
Yeah, I toured Butler's campus twice. once while I was here for my interview back in October of last year, and the second time when I came here to visit a friend of mine attending IUPUI med school. Nice area, or it seems to be located in a good neighborhood. My friend told me to avoid the southeast, east and west sides of Indianapolis. He said those are ghetto areas. Nevertheless, I find the black/african-american people here in Indy to be more polite and kind compared to the ones I've met in Oakland, Calif, NYC, DC area and southside of Chicago. Heck, even the apartments in some of the bad areas of Indy tend to look much better than the apartments or buildings I've seen in Oakland, and Bronx of NYC.

Old 07-13-2009, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southside Shrek View Post
I've eaten at Ma Ma's House on Pendleton Pike a few times and the food there was pretty good. It is fun cooking your own meat and chicken at your table. However I don't particularly like the neighborhood around there. To me it's 'robbery alley'.

Just a couple of weeks ago a strip club on Pendleton Pike near Ma Ma's House was robbed during broad daylight. Robbers came in and sprayed the place with bullets firing their AK-47's. Indeed, it can be an exciting adventure dining or going to a strip club on Pendleton Pike.
Oh yeah! In fact while I was here visiting my friend this year, he said that the whole neighborhood or area surrounding the Pendleton Pike street is in the middle of the "ghettos." Funny thing is I once went shopping at a Korean store called Brother's Oriental Grocery on Pendleton Pike, and this was at night time back in October when I came to Indy for my interview. I wanted to buy some fruits, so I took a taxi cab from downtown to Pendleton pike at night. No wonder the whole place and the parking lot seemed empty! But actually, I never felt scared at that time because I didn't know that Pendleton Pike is a bad neighborhood area. I began to count my blessings that I didn't get mugged or shot at, when my friend told me to not go there at night! LOL!

Old 07-13-2009, 08:36 PM

423 posts, read 1,249,526 times
The Pendleton Pike area in Lawrence is actually a relatively solid cluster of Korean establishments, enough that it's been referred to in Wikipedia's entry on Koreatowns in the past (that reference has since been removed, since it's not an intense enough concentration to call it a legitimate Koreatown). South of Pendleton Pike in that area is pretty high crime; north is not bad at all. That said, the Korean population in that area of Lawrence, as well as parts of Carmel, is reasonably well-established.

The west side of Indianapolis has some rough areas close to the river, but generally isn't so bad. Lots of little ethnic establishments out there, so you might find another small Korean enclave tucked away somewhere. Southeast is very white working class, and the east side is definitely rough but has great old neighborhoods like Irvington and Woodruff Place and Cottage Home; don't rule it out because it will revive!

Old 07-14-2009, 05:18 AM

8,983 posts, read 17,308,092 times
Quote:
I know of Mama's restaurant. Then there is Bando restaurant too. I have never eaten at either restaurant. But I guess those are the only two Korean restaurants in Indy, right?
According to this website,

http://www.indyethnicfood.com/index....uestTimeout=30

there are at least two more.

Korean E. Miracle 11003 Allisonville Rd
Fishers 46038
570-6666

Korean Korean Restaurant Commercial Drive (38th and Lafayette area)
Indianapolis 46222
388-9999

Not sure if you are aware, but where the "Korean Restaurant" is located near 38th and Lafayette is also home to a couple of ethnic grocery stores. I have over in that area many times with no issues; but do keep your street smarts on guard if you know what I mean.

Old 07-14-2009, 06:37 AM

245 posts, read 683,478 times
Indianapolis is much larger by every measure than Omaha. The city proper is roughly 800,000 and the metro area is around 2 mil. The Omaha area does not even crack 1 mil. That right there should be an indication of what you've got in store for you in each city.

As far as politics are concerned, Indianapolis has a very different identity than the rest of Indiana, including some of its own suburbs, but I would tend to agree with toast that there are few extremists on either end of the spectrum. Look at it this way: Indianapolis voted for a democratic president (Obama), has a democratic representative (Carson) and a republican mayor (Ballard). Indiana as a state voted democratic for president but republican for governor (Daniels). The loudest people on the conservative side are extremists that want everyone to share their devoutness and for the country to resemble "Leave it to Beaver," but for the most part, conservatism here tends to be from the financial side: conservative people want fewer taxes and tend to oppose some programs for that reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis