Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2009, 03:11 PM

2 posts, read 27,538 times

Advertisements

We are a gay couple living in Atlanta and plan to relocate to Indianapolis. Is Indianapolis gay friendly? We've also considered Louisville, KY. Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2009, 07:31 PM

1,081 posts, read 1,812,220 times
Indianapolis is not gay friendly, but i wouldnt say its very homophobic either..There are not as many gay hangout spots like Atlanta but you should not have many problems, especially if you live downtown, where most gay people seem to live.

Check out : gayIndyNOW by the Indy Rainbow Chamber

Old 08-22-2009, 10:01 PM

3,100 posts, read 3,300,995 times
Basically, every large city that has a population of about 1 million or more is "gay friendly." Meaning there are people with so many varied lifestyles you won't stand out.

Old 08-23-2009, 02:47 PM

423 posts, read 1,248,169 times
It's nowhere near as big as Atlanta or Chicago, and the scene isn't as big, but I don't really think you'd have a problem at all. Indianapolis, Bloomington, and (though it may seem surprising) Fort Wayne are generally perceived as gay-friendly places. Lafayette/West Lafayette and Michigan City have generally passed gay-friendly (or at least anti-discrimination) laws as well.

Not sure about Louisville, though I suspect it would be similar to Indianapolis. For Wikipedia research (not always a reliable source but probably up-to-date in this topic) Kentucky as a whole, however, has same sex marriage outlawed in its Constitution; Indiana does not. Conversely, Kentucky has hate crimes protection for sexual orientation; Indiana does not.

No doubt someone here can help you more on specifics, though it appears to me that neighborhoods on the near east side of downtown are the most gay-friendly.

Old 08-28-2009, 02:18 PM

5 posts, read 30,379 times
Default Indy is Gay friendly in certain areas

My partner and I have been together for 17 yrs and have lived in Indy all but 3 of those years - there are gay people and couples living all over the Indy metro area - even in the most conservitive areas - as a rule the bulk of the gay population live downtown - we live in an older neighborhood on the South Side of downtown - the East side of downtown is very dangerious - lots of drugs and violence - basically with Indianapolis the North Side is full of Yuppies - Southisde is Middle Class/Working Class - East and West sides are kinda rough - You should do some research on Louisville - it is very gay friendly although Kentucky is very consertive - but so is Indiana - Louisville has some very beautiful neighborhoods and is way more progressive than Indy - I would live in Louisville in a heartbeat - check out the Highlands - I've seen lots of gay couples walking around that neighborhood holding hands - also the resturant scene is way better in Louisville - Indy is a nice place and has changes a great deal over the past few years - but still kinda backward - its making some progress though - we have never had a problem here - we don't go out the gay bars - so I dont know what that scene is like - we feel comfortable going anywhere together here - but we're not really the touchy/feely type in public anyway - even if we lived in San Fran - we would't be that way - hope this helps - good luck

Old 09-09-2009, 12:14 PM

3 posts, read 45,743 times
Default Better than I realized!

Ive lived in Indy for a year now, but have lived and gone to school in Indiana for the past 15 years. Indianapolis may not have a huge "gay scene", but there are multiple bars (5 in the downtown area that I can think of off the top of my head), a decent selection of inclusive churches, and plenty of gay-owned or officially friendly businesses. The best thing, in my mind, about "gay life" in Indianapolis is that there isnt a segregated section of the city... as someone stated earlier, there are gay couples all over the city. I have never felt uncomfortable here. Also, I would refute tmat40's comments on the eastside of Indy. Now granted, it is not crime free... but you wont find that unless you are in a gated community. The Near East Side has beautiful old homes, a truly eclectic mix of people, and the best sense of community that I have experienced out of anywhere in the city!

Louisville is also a great city! Bardstown Rd/the Highlands is the most progressive area of the city. As far as big dance clubs/bars, Louisville has a much better selection. Almost all of the gay bars in Indy are on the medium to small (familiar) size.

So i guess it depends on what you're looking for! Louisville provides a "bigger and better" night life goes, but its all pretty much geared towards the club aspect of gay life. Indianapolis is just much more integrated, in my opinion. As of 5 or 6 years ago ( I dont know if this is still accurate), Indiana had more LGBT organizations than any other state (bowling, knitting, professional groups, sport leagues, etc..). Some, along with myself, would argue that this is one of many reasons why Indiana hasnt passed a state constitutional amendment defining marriage. There are a lot more gay folks in Indiana than most people realize!
Good luck with your move!

Old 09-22-2009, 02:51 PM

4 posts, read 30,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdickison View Post
We are a gay couple living in Atlanta and plan to relocate to Indianapolis. Is Indianapolis gay friendly? We've also considered Louisville, KY. Any thoughts?

I think Indianapolis is very gay friendly. After all, I do live nextdoor to a gay bar, the Varsity Lounge. But I think Louisville is pretty tolerant as a whole as well. Infact, unless you live in a small hillybilly town out in the country, most cities these days are pretty tolerant. hope you find a place

Old 09-23-2009, 11:45 AM

7 posts, read 45,504 times
After living here in central Indiana for 38 years, I'd have to say Indianapolis isn't that gay friendly. No I'm not gay, but I know people who are, and I respect them. I am just going by what they have told me.

Old 09-24-2009, 11:50 AM

9 posts, read 76,213 times
I think you would like Indianapolis. I would consider it to be gay-friend, especially downtown. My husband and I lived in Riley Towers downtown, a very nice apartment complex with great views of downtown Indy. There are many gay people who live in Riley Towers (its the one apartment complex downtown Indy that has a pool also, my husband would always get hit on there, lol). You are also very close to Mass Ave. Mass ave is an artsy/funky street that runs through downtown, and I know a lot of gay people that live in apartments along mass ave. Also, Mass Ave. and Riley Towers is very close to the Metro, a gay bar.

Overall I think you would be pleased if you moved to Indy. I would definitely stay downtown around Mass Ave for your lifestyle. Everyone is very accepting of different ways of life and always very nice!

Old 09-25-2009, 02:37 PM

2,247 posts, read 7,026,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaLove15 View Post
I think you would like Indianapolis. I would consider it to be gay-friend, especially downtown. My husband and I lived in Riley Towers downtown, a very nice apartment complex with great views of downtown Indy. There are many gay people who live in Riley Towers (its the one apartment complex downtown Indy that has a pool also, my husband would always get hit on there, lol). You are also very close to Mass Ave. Mass ave is an artsy/funky street that runs through downtown, and I know a lot of gay people that live in apartments along mass ave. Also, Mass Ave. and Riley Towers is very close to the Metro, a gay bar.

Overall I think you would be pleased if you moved to Indy. I would definitely stay downtown around Mass Ave for your lifestyle. Everyone is very accepting of different ways of life and always very nice!

I second this. I never perceived Indy to be anything other than "gay-friendly" when I lived there, though I'm not gay myself. The city is large enough that most people can appreciate different cultures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis