Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2016, 04:27 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,585,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotucker99 View Post
Another unfortunate Wall Street programmed individual
Another person who will work longer and have a more frugal retirement than they need to because they either lack basic investing knowledge or have too much risk aversion.

Quote:
- Would you like me to link back to posts and analysis breakdowns I have done on how Long Term CDs (over 5 years or more) of Brokered CDs or other CDs such as Online Banks, have ALWAYS beat inflation?
For a long enough retirement withdrawal phase you need growth, not just content to barely beat inflation while eating into your principle year after year.

Quote:
The balanced fund might be 5.5% while the Long Term CD is about 3.5% - 4.5%. Both beat inflation, it's just that the CD guy SLEPT FOR THE 20 YEAR PERIOD while the guy in the balanced fund had to endure cycle after cycle after cycle after cycle for just 1% - 2% higher. To ME, that's not worth it!
An additional 2% return is quite significant, and you personal feeling about emotions related to ups and downs in the market aren't important. If you're not retired on a portfolio of stocks and bonds how can you possibly say people who have don't sleep because of ups and downs in the market? Don't project your own risk aversion attitude on to everyone else.

Meanwhile you've got posters in this thread who are all in cash and have commented that because of rate environment no longer eat out and play crossword puzzles with their wife for entertainment because their expenses must be tightened so much. They also spend day after day making insane rants about the evil stock holders stealing their money. DO YOU THINK THAT CASH INVESTOR IS SLEEPING WELL?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2016, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
300% in gains since 2008 have to level out and regress closer to the norm at some point .
Yep, it is always funny to see people who sat out of the market during a 300% rise show up on a 20% drop to say investors were foolish for gambling and neener neener we've been in cash earning zero or negative real gains.

Old 01-21-2016, 04:33 PM

106,765 posts, read 108,973,015 times
you are wasting your time with them , let them do as they please . it's their life .

Old 01-21-2016, 04:34 PM

106,765 posts, read 108,973,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Yep, it is always funny to see people who sat out of the market during a 300% rise show up on a 20% drop to say investors were foolish for gambling and neener neener we've been in cash earning zero or negative real gains.

of course , no one likes to be wrong . when things go up they can't wait for a drop so they can not feel foolish .

Old 01-21-2016, 04:39 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,632,612 times
Quote:
You and your buddy lack one thing that other people share, compassion for those who are suffering just so you could win at your gambling game. Both of you put love of money above all else. You can't even fanthom how working on crossword puzzles or going out dancing can be more fun than a portfolio. You've found your true love in life.

My advice for those who aren't addicted remains the same. The best way to work toward retirement is to work hard at what you do best and save. Leave the gamblers to themselves and hope they will leave you out of the game long enough so you can really enjoy life. Don't take advice from people who don't care about other people. It is worthless the moment it leaves the mouth.

Old 01-21-2016, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richrf View Post
The reason that the strategy fails is that people tend to need access to cash during the worse periods of the stock market. Of course if someone has tons of cash and doesn't care about what the market does, then no problem.
Well I guess where a bunch of people are advocating being 100% in stocks with zero cash buffer you have a point, otherwise you're just manufacturing a ridiculous scenario.

I've seen a few people talk about rolling 100% stocks during accumulation phase but it sure wouldn't be a common scenario in retirement. I've entered retirement with two years cash buffer and a 65/35 portfolio, and will fund expenses annually.

Old 01-21-2016, 04:50 PM

Quote:
You and your buddy lack one thing that other people share, compassion for those who are suffering just so you could win at your gambling game. Both of you put love of money above all else. You can't even fanthom how working on crossword puzzles or going out dancing can be more fun than a portfolio. You've found your true love in life.
This is just bitterness and frustration lashing out, you don't know anything about others in this forum. You build up a big enough pile of cash to retire on, but people with different investing styles must be evil money lovers not you on your pile of coins nah you're different.

Quote:
My advice for those who aren't addicted remains the same. The best way to work toward retirement is to work hard at what you do best and save.
Great advice actually. Truly the starting point for any successful retirement plan.

Quote:
Leave the gamblers to themselves and hope they will leave you out of the game long enough so you can really enjoy life.
And this part applies if "enjoy life" is defined as needing to cut expenses to the point you never eat out and spend lots of time hanging out at the library, as richrf says he does.

Nothing wrong with crossword puzzles or whatever dancing he's doing but for those who might want a wee bit more out of life during those retirement years you worked and saved so hard for you might want to consider there is more to retirement investing than cash equivalents.

Old 01-21-2016, 04:54 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,632,612 times
Quote:
This is just bitterness and frustration lashing out, you don't know anything about others in this forum. You build up a big enough pile of cash to retire on, but people with different investing styles must be evil money lovers not you on your pile of coins nah you're different.

Great advice actually. Truly the starting point for any successful retirement plan.

And this part applies if "enjoy life" is defined as needing to cut expenses to the point you never eat out and spend lots of time hanging out at the library, as richrf says he does.

Nothing wrong with crossword puzzles or whatever dancing he's doing but for those who might want a wee bit more out of life during those retirement years you worked and saved so hard for you might want to consider there is more to retirement investing than cash equivalents.

Anyone is entitled to whatever hobby they want. But when their enjoyment comes at the cost of other people's suffering, it's no longer a hobby. Unless someone can still enjoy such hobbies and I found many on Wall Street who could.

Old 01-21-2016, 04:58 PM

2,560 posts, read 2,304,310 times
Quote:
Lol, listen to my buddy MathJak's explanation, he calls it "leveling out the gains".

How about this buddy? How about learn the stock market and learn how macroeconomic factors influence it? Go back to 2006/2007 when the Fed began lowering rates, then look at 2008 when the crash occurred from the big bank over-leveraging. The Fed was going to continue lowering rates to prop up the stock market, that right there is the time to BUY solid companies that will be around in the next 5 - 10 years.

The moment "the recovery" (whatever that was supposed to be) occurred and we got to about late 2014, maybe early 2015, it was time to get the hell OUT. The Fed was not going to let the party go on forever and the rates were going to come back up. I'm advocating to do what financial advisers (who want your management fee) don't want you to do, and that's LEARN AND TIME the market. Come in, get the gains, and get the hell out before the party comes crashing down.

Stock investing is an adventure, but what type of adventure do you want?

- You could have a water slide, where you buy too high and end up sliding all the way down into the deep.

- Or, you could have a roller coaster, where you stay strapped in a cart going up, down, up, down, up, down, up, down, all around, for 20 - 30 years and HOPE to whatever God you pray to that you end up on top.

- Or, you can take my advice, and go mountain climbing. What do I mean? I mean you buy a stock when it's low (when stocks have low demand), and then you let the appreciation of the stock "climb up" to the estimated TOP or "over-valuation" of said stock to where there's high demand for it, then you sell it off during that high demand "top of the mountain" peek.
Thanks for the laugh.

Old 01-21-2016, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Anyone is entitled to whatever hobby they want.
They certainly are, but it sure would suck to have your choice of hobbies made for you because of poor money management. Hey honey I know we talked about doing some traveling when we retired and finally freedom and still in good health, but since our cash is being depleted too quickly how about we "choose" the hobby of crossword puzzles. Weee!

Quote:
But when their enjoyment comes at the cost of other people's suffering, it's no longer a hobby. Unless someone can still enjoy such hobbies and I found many on Wall Street who could.
Yeah we know you sitting on your huge pile of cash = good guy, others who invest their money are bad guys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing