Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2018, 10:36 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,867,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by player07 View Post
I work in oil & gas and currently there are people who have been out of work for more than two years and depending on what goes on in the economy the stock market maybe down as well at that time.
In terms of diversification, a rule of thumb is not to hold a ton of your assets in the stock of your employer. Why? If the employer suffers a downturn for whatever reason, you might lose your job AND the value of the stock may decline. Just ask the poor former employees of Enron.

So, don't own a lot of stock in either your employer or in the general Oil & Gas industry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2018, 01:11 PM

18,096 posts, read 15,676,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post

So, don't own a lot of stock in either your employer or in the general Oil & Gas industry.
Unless you happen to work for Apple. Employees used to get a 15% discount on stock purchases, at least the time I worked there long long ago. But I don't know if they still do.

Old 01-08-2018, 02:11 PM

106,673 posts, read 108,856,202 times
Quote:
mathjak107 - Thanks for this but I checked out TLT and SHY and found their returns to be quite poor for a 15 year period. I noticed a little spike during recession but then I am invested in the long term not just for recession. Actually the chances of me needing money during good times is less because if I lose my job i can find one way sooner than in a recession.

Anyway, can you give me an example of a etf that has good mix of bond fund or dividend equity?
TLT was up almost 7% the last 15 years . stocks were up a round 9% . cash did less than about 1% so lets keep that in perspective .

.shy is a step above a money market . it is used to to take advantage of buying opportunities and offset the interest rate sensitivity of tlt .

you do realize their power is when stocks plunge as protection . tlt soared 34% in 2008 . had you had an equal amount in the s&p 500 it almost offset the 40% plunge .

different bond funds perform differently at different times no bond fund is forever nor should it be . you have to swap as times change .

i held a huge position in fidelity total bond fund for many many years . today that position is cut in half , it has to much interest rate sensitivity to be a large position today .

Old 01-08-2018, 04:15 PM

6,759 posts, read 5,056,845 times
Quote:
Thanks hikernut. I went over the treasury yields. I am trying to figure out why bother with treasury when there are online savings account that offer 2%? They offer FDIC coverage and there is no such thing as volatility, with treasury bonds I might have to deal with some volatility. Difference between 2% and 2.5% to me after taxes is insignificant and that is assuming 2.5% is guaranteed.

There's no single choice that has every advantage, and no the extra few basis points is not a big deal. With that said, where in the world do you find 2% today on a regular savings account? A five-year Treasury is not very volatile, certainly nothing to worry about IMO. Treasuries are extremely liquid and safe. Either route is fine, and these are just for holding a little dry powder. The equity markets are the place to grow one's wealth.

Old 01-10-2018, 08:40 AM

143 posts, read 221,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
TLT was up almost 7% the last 15 years . stocks were up a round 9% . cash did less than about 1% so lets keep that in perspective .

.shy is a step above a money market . it is used to to take advantage of buying opportunities and offset the interest rate sensitivity of tlt .

you do realize their power is when stocks plunge as protection . tlt soared 34% in 2008 . had you had an equal amount in the s&p 500 it almost offset the 40% plunge .

different bond funds perform differently at different times no bond fund is forever nor should it be . you have to swap as times change .

i held a huge position in fidelity total bond fund for many many years . today that position is cut in half , it has to much interest rate sensitivity to be a large position today .
I overlooked the dividend portion of the return. I see now how it adds up to 7%, SPY has been up 9% in 10 years though and not 15 years. Anyway, do you think it will still hold up as well now that interest are about to go up. Low interest may have helped it a lot in the past

Old 01-10-2018, 10:37 AM

106,673 posts, read 108,856,202 times
I don't know . historically, slow rate increases have not hurt stocks . fast increases do .

Old 01-10-2018, 11:58 AM

143 posts, read 221,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
I don't know . historically, slow rate increases have not hurt stocks . fast increases do .
Sorry I was referring to TLT and not SPY. I am invested in the stock market for the long term so no worries on that.

Old 01-11-2018, 07:14 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,867,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
Unless you happen to work for Apple. Employees used to get a 15% discount on stock purchases, at least the time I worked there long long ago. But I don't know if they still do.
Yeah, I also worked at the Cupertino Fruit Company for over a decade. A discount for the employee purchase program (EPP) exists at many large companies. You put money in over the time period (6 months, I think), and on the final day the company adds 15% and then purchases stock with the total.

The best practice was to do a same-day sale. But I held on to every share. I shouldn't have done so, but in the end it worked out OK.

Old 01-11-2018, 07:45 PM

18,096 posts, read 15,676,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
Yeah, I also worked at the Cupertino Fruit Company for over a decade.
I worked at the Cupertino campus at the end of Spindler & a few quarters of Amelio.

Old 01-11-2018, 08:13 PM

9,639 posts, read 6,018,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I thought it would be 60k a year if the average annual stock market gain is 10%.
You don't get that whole gain. You have to leave a cushion for when the market goes down and inflation.

I should have a half million to stick in the market either end of 2018 or some time in 2019 from selling some real estate assets. It'll go in a 100% equities (selection of stocks) portfolio where I'm contemplating to automatically transfer up to 3.5% (as long as dividends cover that) to my checking on a quarterly basis. The account will still grow safely.

No real reason behind that for me though. I'll call it my management fee and reward for having that account setup at a young age after living like a quasi pauper. All the cash and then some will probably end up back in it or a different one/asset, but I'd like to have the ability to maybe goof off a little and have fun money I don't think about.

The account will also be at a brokerage that will allow me to use it for collateral for loans when need be. It'll be quicker than going the traditional route with banks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing